Flash Diffuser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shaun64326

shaun64326

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:surfing, bodyboarding, underwater photography, surf photography, snorkling, scuba diving, aquariums, tennis

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

How do you make your own underwater flash deffuser for the sealife SL960 external flash?

#2 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:44 AM

Why would you want too? The diffuser is relatively inexpensive new and sometimes shows up on Ebay for less than $10.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

Borrowing James' idea I make diffusers to my Ikelite SS200's using 1 gallon milk bottles, the opacity of the plastic seems to be just right. Now, in the SS200 it fits between the groves, I don't know if the SL960 has groves so I don't know how you can attach the diffuser to the flash.

Luiz

P.S.: I am moving this topic to the "Do It Yourself" forum where I think it will get more attention.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 bacripe

bacripe

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

In addition, if you desire varying degrees of density for the diffuser, some types of tuperware have lids that make excellent diffuser material. I'm a big fan of the milk jug diffuser myself, but other materials work equally well.
Brian Cripe
Canon 1DmkIII, 1DsmkIII

#5 shaun64326

shaun64326

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:surfing, bodyboarding, underwater photography, surf photography, snorkling, scuba diving, aquariums, tennis

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

Why would you want too? The diffuser is relatively inexpensive new and sometimes shows up on Ebay for less than $10.

Really? Thats pretty good, I expected it to be heaps more expensive than that.

I am moving this topic to the "Do It Yourself" forum where I think it will get more attention

Thanks, I didnt know whether it should of gone in there or the beginners forum.

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

Milk bottles and duct tape....if you need more diffusion, double the milk bottle

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#7 DeepThinkers

DeepThinkers

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA (of course)<br />UW video/photo<br />Fabrication and design of nearly anything<br />Grandkids:)

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:14 PM

If it is of any help to anyone...

I have made a 'cup' type diffuser for a Sea & Sea YS-60 strobe from the bottom portion of a Rubbermaid #2 storage container (about the size of 1 cup) was cut down to be only about 1" deep. I punched a couple holes at what would be the 'top' edge of the 'cup' (one on either side) and fastened a piece of 3/16 surgical tubing like an elastic on a halloween mask.To use it ...slip the'cup' diffuser over the business end of the strobe and hold in place by stretching the tubing over the back of the strobe. If I didn't need the diffuser while shooting it would easily pop off the front of the strobe and could be hung by the tubing by hooking it to anything handy ...often I just slippedit over my wrist.

I like the ideas expressed on the board! To diffuse my already soft twin 44 LEDs I think I will try the ole' milk jug plastic inside the lens cover...

Thanks!

#8 yzer4

yzer4

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Photography

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:08 AM

Has anybody ever tried using Lee diffusion filters?

I used them a lot in the old days when I was still doing some stage lighting and they work very nicely on land, wondering about underwater...

Pieter