Flash Diffuser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shaun64326

shaun64326

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:surfing, bodyboarding, underwater photography, surf photography, snorkling, scuba diving, aquariums, tennis

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

How do you make your own underwater flash deffuser for the sealife SL960 external flash?

#2 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:44 AM

Why would you want too? The diffuser is relatively inexpensive new and sometimes shows up on Ebay for less than $10.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3078 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

Borrowing James' idea I make diffusers to my Ikelite SS200's using 1 gallon milk bottles, the opacity of the plastic seems to be just right. Now, in the SS200 it fits between the groves, I don't know if the SL960 has groves so I don't know how you can attach the diffuser to the flash.

Luiz

P.S.: I am moving this topic to the "Do It Yourself" forum where I think it will get more attention.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 bacripe

bacripe

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

In addition, if you desire varying degrees of density for the diffuser, some types of tuperware have lids that make excellent diffuser material. I'm a big fan of the milk jug diffuser myself, but other materials work equally well.
Brian Cripe
Canon 1DmkIII, 1DsmkIII

#5 shaun64326

shaun64326

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:surfing, bodyboarding, underwater photography, surf photography, snorkling, scuba diving, aquariums, tennis

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

Why would you want too? The diffuser is relatively inexpensive new and sometimes shows up on Ebay for less than $10.

Really? Thats pretty good, I expected it to be heaps more expensive than that.

I am moving this topic to the "Do It Yourself" forum where I think it will get more attention

Thanks, I didnt know whether it should of gone in there or the beginners forum.

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6294 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

Milk bottles and duct tape....if you need more diffusion, double the milk bottle

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in the Lembeh Strait at NAD Lembeh with Doug Sloss in 2018
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip in Indonesia in Komodo or Raja Ampat

#7 DeepThinkers

DeepThinkers

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA (of course)<br />UW video/photo<br />Fabrication and design of nearly anything<br />Grandkids:)

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:14 PM

If it is of any help to anyone...

I have made a 'cup' type diffuser for a Sea & Sea YS-60 strobe from the bottom portion of a Rubbermaid #2 storage container (about the size of 1 cup) was cut down to be only about 1" deep. I punched a couple holes at what would be the 'top' edge of the 'cup' (one on either side) and fastened a piece of 3/16 surgical tubing like an elastic on a halloween mask.To use it ...slip the'cup' diffuser over the business end of the strobe and hold in place by stretching the tubing over the back of the strobe. If I didn't need the diffuser while shooting it would easily pop off the front of the strobe and could be hung by the tubing by hooking it to anything handy ...often I just slippedit over my wrist.

I like the ideas expressed on the board! To diffuse my already soft twin 44 LEDs I think I will try the ole' milk jug plastic inside the lens cover...

Thanks!

#8 yzer4

yzer4

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Photography

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:08 AM

Has anybody ever tried using Lee diffusion filters?

I used them a lot in the old days when I was still doing some stage lighting and they work very nicely on land, wondering about underwater...

Pieter