100 gigs of portable storage!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:17 AM

This looks like a great little unit for backing up and viewing photos, as well as packing along all your MP3s (and even a few movies!). Anybody own one yet?

Archos AV500 100GB

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:52 AM

No RAW support.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:31 PM

Coincidentally, I was hunting for one yesterday but also realised it doesn't support RAW files. In this case, it would be more worth it to get a device without the ability to display pictures altogether and save a couple hundred bucks.

#4 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

Agree with Mattdiver, I don't feel the need to be able to view files, just need the storage, and want it to be (1) very reliable, and (2) reasonable price per GB.

I was just in Hong Kong and picked up two LaCie 100 GB USB/fire wire hard drives for
HK$2300 (US$300) each, less a 15% discount, so about $250, which seemed reasonable. Each is a bit wider and longer than a pack of cigarettes, but not as thick. The 80 GB version (same form factor) was HK$1800 ($230, so $195). The laptop is 80 GB. If I fill all of that up, I still have 40 GB on my fat iPod I can use (after dumping all the music) if I had to.

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#5 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:06 PM

Just for comparison's sake, the Epson P-4000 (80GB) that does support RAW files and has a superb screen goes for $700. For that price, you can have 2 x LaCie 100Gb and 1 x Lacie 80Gb, and $5 change for coffee :(

#6 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:27 AM

You may also consider the CompactDrive PD70X.

We bought a unit and, although it does not have a viewing screen, you can dump a 1Gig card on the hard drive in a couple of minutes.

Not the perfect tool but it uses inexpensive 3.5" drives and works with AA batteries.

We have used it a few times so far and it works fine. Seems there is a US distributor now.

We also own a Gmini 220 from Archos and are quite happy with it.
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#7 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:40 AM

Found the URL of the US retailer for the PD70X, a.k.a. Hyperdrive HD80:

http://hyperdrive.com/shop/index.php

No link to me at all.

Michel
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#8 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:29 PM

I can appreciate all too well the cost angle, but I must admit I feel much more secure when I have downloaded to my Epson P2000 and can actually SEE my RAW file pics. I know they are there, safe, warm and well......... :(

Tim

(former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits)
www. timsimages.uk

#9 TheQ

TheQ

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:48 PM

Everytime I look at these devices, I can't help but observe that for an additional $200-$300 I could get a laptop that only weighs about the same, can burn dvd's and works with external hard-disk drives.

#10 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:27 PM

Same as a laptop? Hmmmm......one fits in the palm of my hand.....not the other.

#11 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:52 AM

But its the size and even more weight of lugging a laptop around. The check-in staff are already looking at me askance as I stagger, nonchalantly, up to the counter with a Pelican roller box (18kgs) and a Tamrac camera rucksack (14kgs). Oh, and my dive bag too (31kgs). The Epson has to be the lightest bit of my gear!

Tim

(former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits)
www. timsimages.uk

#12 motionsync

motionsync

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:UW photography with available light<br />Freediving

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:10 AM

I to love to have a Epson P-4000

becauce I have a old laptop thats is imposible to work with photos. In this case is good to have a device that can save andd show the photos

btw.. is Epson P-4000 working with Nikons NEF files?

The other altenativ is to buy a bigger & faster laptop like Ibook...

Lambis
Lambis Stratoudakis - http://www.lambisstratoudakis.com

#13 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:14 AM

Santa brought me an Epson P-4000 early :) , and I've been tinkering with it for a few days now. I kept reading that the screen was "amazing, unbelievably sharp, stunningly clear," and other such descriptors, and I have to say they're all true. The screen is simply amazing. It's not quite as big as a 3x5 inch photo (it's actually 2 1/4 x 3 inches), but effectively serves the same purpose as if you were looking through a stack of little (e.g., 3x5) prints.

I also really like the slide show function. I copied some photos over from my computer, and rather than have to thumb through them to show people, I just hit slide show with 3 sec. intervals and the "fade" transition, and people can sit and "look through" a bunch of my photos in style! B)

The only drawbacks I see are:
1. you can't use the zoom feature with RAW files, so I'll need to shoot RAW + Med. JPG if I want to be able to zoom in to check focus, etc.
2. the only option for "video out" (to show photos on a TV) is simple composite (RCA jack), not S-video. It does output in either (you can switch back and forth) NTSC or PAL, however, which is nice.

All in all, a spendy little gadget, but VERY cool for storing and viewing photos!

Note: the P-2000 has the same screen, but in addition to its smaller 40gb HD (vs. 80gb on the P-4000), it has less capabilities, e.g., won't handle as big a files, etc. (a Google search will give you details).

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#14 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

I usually bring my laptop along on a trip and also a Nexto CF card reader/harddrive.
http://printerboyweb...XTOCF/index.php

I usually download my CF card to the Nexto unit first as it is amazingly fast (less than 10 minutes for a full Kingston 4GB card) then transfer from it to my laptop. It actually takes less time to do the two steps than download directly to my laptop using USB2 CF card reader! This way I also have all of my photos backup on 2 separate HDs and for a very paranoid mind, I can backup everything on my laptop to DVDs at my leisure :)