34 replies to this topic

#21 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:18 AM

I don't know about 'top professional photographers' but read on.....

I've just finished running an underwater photo course for professional scientific divers. The learning curve involved in using new techniques is so vastly improved by the use of digital that I can honestly say that the same course content would have been IMPOSSIBLE in the same time frame shooting film. The quality of results at the end of the course was so good, using 5Ds and similar, that it undoubtedly bettered anything that could have been shot on film given the conditions. Not everyone aspires to be a 'top professional' but for people who need to take underwater images, digital can be a revelation.

I'm sure that film isn't quite dead for some applications, but underwater it is almost certainly now moving into its death throes. I don't own a film camera any longer and have absolutely no desire to do so. I've said this before and I'll no doubt say it again, underwater digital results can now exceed those from film.

Nice Hasselblad outfit John, but you might find it hard to find a dealer keen on taking it in.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#22 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:48 AM

I will concede that not many photographers are charging more than £3000 per day in North Wales but I note that the Calumet hire department still has a big range of Sinar and Hasselblad film equipment to offer. As I said to Gavin Anderson when he asked me how to progress as a photographer (not an underwater photographer), "Move to London, Paris, Milan or New York!"

As far as the Hasselblad goes, I suppose I could always buy a Leaf digital back for it!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#23 xtremediver

xtremediver

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, photography, scuba diving, photography, <br />oh yeah scuba diving and photography. Old cars, too.

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:30 AM

The challenge with using film is the cost associatd with the processing and the availbility of processing on liveaboards and remote destinations. Taking film through the security screeners just adds more challenges, but digital is hassel-free from those stand points. My best shots have always been with film, but as a recent convert to the digital world, that still remains to be seen. Film is far from dead and probably won't be for many years to come, but it will be relegated to land use by the restrictions of supply and demand and the cost associated with processing and obtaining the chemicals. E-6 is alive and well in my opinion, just not being utilized underwater as much. <_<
"IF YOU'RE NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE THEN YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH SPACE" Canon 20D, Ikelite housing w/ dual DS-125's and a bunch of great glass to go with it. Canon Eos 1V and a Hasselblad with all of the goodies for real pictures.

#24 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:34 AM

This story may be of interest:

http://www.dpreview....filmcameras.asp

Alex

p.s. My Hasselblad got flooded (by someone else) while I was away in Malaysia. Maybe I should buy yours, John?!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#25 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

We always used Hasselblads and Sinar. My original Nikon outfit was bought in the days (1970 - 72) when I worked for Penthouse Mag and Bob G. decreed that everything had to be shot on Kodachrome II. Otherwise 35mm cameras were always the preserve of news and wedding photographers only. As to my remaining Hasselblad outfit - no reasonable offer refused!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#26 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:49 AM

It was interesting reading over this old thread. Yes, in the digital world a few months makes it old!

My Hasselbald outfit has long gone. I advertised my underwater film Nikon cameras/housings in the UK at silly prices but got no offers. I have made the full transition to digital photography - and suddenly I find myself getting photography commissions that have nothing to do with the diving world.
I used the old Fuji S2 Pros (with many old Nikon lenses) mainly because I couldn't be asked to extract the bigger pixel-count Nikons from their housings - got wonderful results, and all the clients are ecstatic!

Before you know it, I'll be moving to Amlych! (sp?).

#27 timing

timing

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

Before you know it, I'll be moving to Amlych! (sp?).

Whoa, steady on John. There is some quality wreck diving to be done out of Amlych (believe it or not) but moving there? Still I imagine the locals would enjoy the sport of a classy-looking English southener moving in. Especially one that's had the jobs that you had.

Mind you, I thought I'd never see the day when you typed the phrase

I have made the full transition to digital photography..

So maybe the Anglesey Estate Agents should be expecting a call? Maybe we should get a permanent space reserved for you on Terry and Elfin's boat.

Cheers,

Tim

#28 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:55 AM

I was conceived in Amlych! My family moved there during the later part of WW2 after moving from London to Coventry to avoid the bombing!

(I was trying to smoke out Paul with this post but he's not biting)!

#29 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

wow Tim.. classy looking English southener....

That one smoked me out....

:)

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#30 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:43 AM

www.hasselbladusa.com/news/hasselblad-launches-world's-first-48mm-full-frame-dslr-camera-system.aspx
39mp camera.
I guess that means film is dead!

#31 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:40 AM

www.hasselbladusa.com/news/hasselblad-launches-world's-first-48mm-full-frame-dslr-camera-system.aspx
39mp camera.
I guess that means film is dead!

That's a camera for kids, John :)

This 160 megapixel monster is the real thing :D

http://www.roundshot...8/d925/f934.cfm

Now, to find a housing for it...

Edited by mattdiver, 08 October 2006 - 05:41 AM.

#32 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:39 PM

OK I'm smoked out, but would that be Amlwch I wonder, on the costa del North Anglesey, known for its wind rain and silt, I wonder?( Well it was the other day when Elfyn was trying to con us into thinking there was a force 9 imminent - what rubbish it was a mere force 8 and perfectly divable). So Welsh by birth then John?

As for these new, film replacing cameras, you have to consider two things - flooding would REALLY hurt, and storage as they produce SERIOUSLY big files - perhaps someone can come up with a RAID array inside a Pelicase for travel requirements!!!
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#33 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:23 AM

I was only conceived there. I didn't learn to spell there!

#34 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

I doubt Chris Newbert has switched over to dig and most consider him a pro. So I feel the answer is still a yes for some but not most.. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#35 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR &amp; IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

This is an interesting thread, that I missed on my first pass through the site.

[This post is to push it back to the top of the list]

This 160 megapixel monster is the real thing

http://www.roundshot...8/d925/f934.cfm

Now, to find a housing for it...

I saw the Seitz 6x17 Digital Thursday at the PhotoPlus Expo; and I was not impressed.
I love the smell of fixer in the morning!