• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 10:09 AM

OR: how to shorten the learning curve for UW digital photography.

Picture Information Extractor or PIE for short is the best program out there for reviewing your photographs and learning from them. Select a folder of photos: It lets you see a thumbnail of the photo, the shutter, exposure, zoom, flash information, etc about the shot.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.picmeta.com

This is how I learned that the Coolpix in Automatic mode uses low f-stop and high shutter for low light conditions. When in fact I wanted it to use a higher f-stop and lower shutter speed.

Try bracketting a shot, then go back to PIE when you get home and look at the different exposures.

It's a fantastic tool!!!!

HTH
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 Dee

Dee

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 07:27 PM

I've been hearing about this program. Guess I better check it out if it'll help me learn this stuff a bit easier!

Thanks James! ;)

#3 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 11:47 AM

You might also want to try BreezeBrowser. I've been using that recently, rather than PIE, which I had been using for the last couple of years. I like it because you can drag files or folders to it, and it will open them up (more mac-like). Also, the full-screen view shows a histogram for each of the three channels, along with jpg header information. It also offers lossless rotation, batch renaming, and canon RAW format conversion (based on the normal canon .DLLs so it's not any faster).

http://www.breezesys.../BreezeBrowser/
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#4 ssdiver

ssdiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the great tip. Digital makes learning so fun.