7 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 06:32 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the SB102? GN? Angle of coverage etc.
Nemo - D70 + 17-55mm, 70 - 200 VR, 35 f2, 10.5, Sigma 15, 60 Macro, Nexus D70 housing, Optima CCR & more dive gear than the ave. store

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 03:57 PM

Yes,

It's a powerful wideangle strobe. It takes 6 c-cells. I'm not sure of the exact UW guide number but I'd guess it's between 32 and about 45...maybe a little more.

It has 3 manual settings, TTL, and "auto" which is some fake ttl thing that Nikon did for ppl w/ the Nik III and IV.

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 valval

valval

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:22 AM

I tryed SB 102 with CP5000 and Aquatica. It only worked for me at 1/16 mode, TTL and any other settings give a huge overexposure. Does anyone have any ideas?

Val :blink:

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 10:53 AM

I used an SB102 with my coolpix 5000 and I was able to get good shots - especially for wideangle (28mm) shooting. You need the set some flash compensation of about 1.0 or 2.0 to get good results. Also experiment with strobe aiming to light the subject properly. If the strobe is angled down too far, you can burn out the foreground.

HTH
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#5 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 25 November 2002 - 06:36 PM

You need to employ the add on sensor intended for use with manual nik's this reads the flash output and turns it off when it thinks it has had enough (cough).

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 05:53 AM

Hi Bob,

The coolpix5000 has its own sensor to do this so the "high-tec 80's technology auto sensor" that comes with the SB102 is not needed. A TTL sync cord from the camera to the strobe can be used instead.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#7 valval

valval

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 03:40 PM

I agree with James, strobe compencation option does the job, as well as manual settings in the camera and in the strobe do. I got good results with 1/16 power on the strobe and 1/2000 shutter speed with 2.8 - 8 aperture (depending on the distance and background). The Nikonos sinch. cable works OK, it sichronize the camera and the strobe. However, when SB102 is set to TTL, I am getting the same power as if it is set for the full power, I could not get the strobe reacting to the camera readings, as it should be in the case of TTL setup.

Val
:blink

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 07:02 PM

Valval, that sounds like a bad sync cord or bad connection. One of those wires and pins carries the TTL signal from the camera that "tells" the strobe to quench.

Have a look at your sync cord sockets for corrosion, etc.

HTH
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes