• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

Read my Review of the Ikelite 5D housing. I tried to be as thorough as possible but if you have any questions, please ask away.

Posted Image
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:44 PM

Wow. William. That was quick. I didn't even know the housing was ready. Are the production versions available now? Or are there a lot of back orders/waiting list?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:05 AM

Yes, this is (one of) the first production housing(s). People who have pre-ordered the housing should start receiving housings in the next few weeks. I'm sure there is a long waiting list and it will probably be quite a while before you will find one of these housings sitting on the shelf unclaimed by someone.
William

#4 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:34 AM

Good review for the Canonians here.
Hope Ikelite will solve the problem you mention in the near future.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:24 AM

Hi William,

My feelings about the housing in general are that Ike responds to user pressure and rushes the first few housings out the door to keep demanding customers satisfied. You would too with 20 people a day pestering you to finish it, right? lol. Ike's the only manufacturer that does this and sometimes it's a favor for people leaving on a dive trip, etc.

I think the problems you pointed out are easily correctable based on your feedback. Extend the control for the * button, and add a few millimeters to the fisheye port. I would really like to see rear-curtain sync working too.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#6 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:52 AM

Ike did a tremendous favor for me with my D70 housing in order to get it for a May 2004 trip. I've never have a manufacturer for anything be this responsive. Thanks Ike!

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#7 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:01 AM

James, aparently the problem with second curtain sync is that the Ikelite system mimics a real canon flash too well. If the camera thinks the attached flash has a button to enabel second curtain sync it will ignore the in-camera setting.
William

#8 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

Thanks William, very useful review! I really want ( need, desire, lust for) the 5D, but you pointing out the current WA limitiation helps procrastinating a bit longer. Should freeze Credit Card in block of ice just in case...

#9 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:12 PM

Thanks William - even as a non-Canonite it was an interesting read. Excellent to hear that Ike is listening to your concerns.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#10 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:43 PM

We usually choose a very knowledgeable person to evaluate the first housing model to gain input on what we missed. The assumption is that analysis will be confidential while we implement the changes. Heaton got a little ahead of us in his enthusiasm.

I ccn't believe Heaton liked the tacky looking blue "O" ring we used. We will switch to a single peg under the tray to allow housing to slide together without any wiggling.

We will extend the * control as he suggested. We do this on many housings like the D70 Nikon for example. Heaton forgot we have focussing ports that enable you to control both zoom and focus on many lenses.

Our clever depth-of-field preview control remains just that. You don't need lens release when diving so the 270 degree rotation is done before the dive. Using the control requires simple pulling it out about 1/4" to its stop and turning. We doubt if anyone will ever use this feature, but it is easy to do.

Earliest eTTL circuits could lock up, but we found no instance of eTTL2 crashing in all of the 5-D tests. Second curtain sync may be considered.

We do have clamps for lenses over 2.8" diameter, and we have ports that can accommodate up to 3.4" diameter lenses, but may not be able to zoom or focus. Then we fool you with being able to do it on some lenses. We do some trick ports like providing manual focus on the 100mm macro lens, and will have interchangeable stalk type ports next year if you like that sort of thing. We are getting a 15mm Sigma fisheye lens so this problem can be resolved. This lens has worked fine in our systems untll combined with the full frame sensor of the 5-D.

"Da Bigga Doma" (8" ) is utter frustration with no logical explanation why we do not have a production run of parts. Latest baloney is they are waiting on material.

We believe the 5-D will prove to be a very satisfactory installation.............

#11 AengusM

AengusM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:21 AM

Our clever depth-of-field preview control remains just that.  You don't need lens release when diving so the 270 degree rotation is done before the dive.  Using the control requires simple pulling it out about 1/4" to its stop and turning.  We doubt if anyone will ever use this feature, but it is easy to do.

Comes in handy when you go for a dive prep'd for autofocus with your lens switched to manual, that control reaches the switch on the Sigma 50mm macro quite nicely....not that ...ehhh....I've used it for that.... :P

Thanks for a great 5D review

Aengus

#12 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:09 AM

You don't need lens release when diving

Actually I find this control very useful when I want to change back to AF after I set it to M before the diving and also to release the lens when switching the lens on surface without opening the back.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#13 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:42 AM

I love the blue o-ring.

Ike, you should have told me when you replied to my emails that that you prefred the analysis quiet while you made the changes, I would have if you had asked. I did tell you that I planed on publishing the review immediately. You missed your chance.

I was hesitant aboiut posting a review with critisism, infact I considered not posting it but desided that it was the only fair thing to do.

Of course, I will update my review to reflect any changes in the design or new information. I have allready added corection regarding your flat ports with focus.

The specifications I used for the port limitations came directly form your website. But I will add mention of execeptions to the rule.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/slrport.html

Maximum lens diameter is limited to 8.4cm (3.3"). The diameter for attachment of zoom or focus clamps is limited to 7.1cm (2.8").

William

#14 TheQ

TheQ

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for a great review William, and Ike, thanks for the replies. Don't beat William up too badly, in the end, the open discussion of issues helps me make my choice of enclosures... I feel that I can purchase a 5D enclosure confident that the issues with the FE will be resolved.

Anyway, my question: has anyone tried the 16-35/2.8L in the 5D enclosure? Which port will I need?

P.S. Count me in for another vote on 2nd curtain.

P.P.S. Can I get a blue o-ring too? :P

#15 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:18 AM

We have tacky looking blue "O" rings if you want. No problem on the review. It had to be honest if it was to be posted. Several features on the housing came from Heaton answering my questions before he had even seen a housing.............

#16 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:33 AM

Well, since it sounds like I am the only one with a 5D housing, I can say with confidence: Nope, no one has used the 16-35 in the 5D housing.

I would not expect any problems in the recommended #5503.55 port though. You will need the special zoom clamp (#5509.28) and you will have to remove the lens before you can open the housing but it should not have the vignetting problem.
William

#17 lanierb

lanierb

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:09 AM

I would not expect any problems in the recommended #5503.55 port though.  You will need the special zoom clamp (#5509.28) and you will have to remove the lens before you can open the housing but it should not have the vignetting problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use the 16-35mm in an Ikelite housing on my 350D and I've found that, despite what Ike's website says, it does NOT need the special zoom clamp (5509.28). In fact, I found that the 5509.28 clamp does not work well on the 16-35 (it's too big) but the regular one (included with the housing) fits perfectly. Since the issue is fit to the lens, I'd assume the same is true for the 5D housing.

#18 Taxgeek

Taxgeek

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography!

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

Has anybody heard any updates on when the Ikelite 5d housings will be available?
Thanks!
Taxgeek
Canon 5d, Ikelite housing, ULCS arms, and dual DS-125 strobes.

#19 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

We have them in stock...

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#20 dawktah

dawktah

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Trying to learn as much about photography

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

Picked up my 5D, Whoo Hoo! Will not need a housing until July! I have to check and see if I need firmware upgrade.