• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#61 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:51 AM

I just enrolled $5k worth of scuba/uw photog equipment with DAN for $150/yr.
Nikon D3, 17-35mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm VR

#62 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:31 AM

Unfortunately DAN doesn't work for us outside the US. The question I'm concerned about is whether DEPP may not work anymore either.

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#63 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:03 PM

doesnt DAN have other regional areas covered? DAN Europe, and Australia has DAN too, i thought?
Nikon D3, 17-35mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm VR

#64 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

[EDIT:

I've been in touch with DAN-SEAP, and the information I had that they were dropping non-citizen expatriate residents in Asia from coverage is apparently incorrect. So I'm pulling the contents of the [angry] message I had posted here.

Apologies if I got anyone else alarmed or excited by this - I was writing in response to what I believed was a genuine communication from DAN.

Frogfish

[Original message contents deleted....]

Frogfish

Edited by frogfish, 05 December 2005 - 07:34 PM.

Robert Delfs

Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#65 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:48 AM

Things don't look good. I contacted Dive Master Insurance in the UK to see if I could get dive insurance (and camera equipment coverage from them. But it's no go. Thanks, DAN.

The reply to my query to DiveMaster is below. I assume that Dwan meant to write "expat residents of Indonesia" rather than "residents of expats in Indonesia". Divemaster does get credit for a very prompt response. At least I didn't have to spend $200 on phone charges to find out that this won't work.

Frogfish

Dear Robert

Thank you for your email received in the office today. Unfortunately we are not licensed to insure residents of expats in Indonesia, so I am afraid that we will be unable to help you on this occasion.

Regards Dawn
01702 509093
Dive Master Insurance Consultants Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, reference number 306316

Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#66 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hi to Robert and others, about dive equipment insurance:

I live in Minnesota, USA and insurance is regulated here by state law. I have complete coverage for all my dive gear, including camera flooding, theft, fire and unintentional loss thru State Farm Insurance which also has my car insurance. The policy costs about $35.00/yr for about $2500 coverage worldwide.

Now as to international, I remember when we lost our condo in St. Croix due to hurricane Hugo in 1989, Chubb was our carrier and paid quickly. Can't you find an international major like Chubb or AIG or AXA (France) to cover you in Indo / Malaysia etc.? I'm skeptical of the smaller companies.

#67 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:37 AM

Scubaskeeter,

Thanks. I don't think I'm going to get very far with any of the international majors, at least not while I'm living here in Indonesia. Insurance is difficult here anyway - something I'm finding out as we look into the issue of sourcing insurance here for the new entity that will be co-managing Komodo National Park.

I was disappointed that Divemaster won't insure anyone outside of the UK, because their program sounded good (on paper) and I liked the idea of doing everything with one carrier.

The fact that DEPP's website has been moved and another company may now be behind it makes me nervous, particularly since nobody here seems to know the real story behind the change - if there has been a change.

I guess I'll contact DEPP and see what's what for the cameras and contact DAN-US about dive coverage, see if they'll take me on. [incorrect information deleted]

Frogfish

Edited by frogfish, 08 December 2005 - 12:39 AM.

Robert Delfs

Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#68 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:36 AM

TRY CINESURE in Sydney , they handle motion picture stuff .

http://www.cinesure.com.au/

I have all my gear insured through them. The premiium's about $3300 for $125000 equipment - just the $1500 excess makes it painfull for little items.

#69 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

Just spoke to the team at Cinesure - they are only able to write policy's for residents or companies registered in Australia & New Zealand. The agent says the reason has do do with their reinsurance arrangements......

Good news for OZ not so good for everyone else.

Sorry for the false start.

#70 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

Had a very quick glance at this webpage http://www.nikonians.org/insurance

Some of the terms covered:

Covers both amateur and professional use.
Covers all camera equipment and photography accessories.
Covers travel
Worldwide coverage and your location does not matter.
Covers breakage, damage, theft and loss.
No deductible except on theft (250 USD).
New equipment replaced first year. After that valuated at market price (depreciation according to current market price).
Covers damages due to rain, water, moisture, snow, sand, storms.
Claiming is done online.

Payable in USD and Euros.

Noticed this in the FAQs

If I dive with my camera is it covered?
If you are using a underwater housing that was not defect at the time of starting the dive, yes.

Downside is, it only covers Nikon Cameras.

Paul.
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#71 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for letting us know Paul! I didn't know about this. It is a good option for Nikon shooters that live outside the US, since it is worldwide coverage. The insurance company is German.

Luiz

P.S.: Paul, I merged your topic with wetpixel's Official Insurance Thread, this is just to keep everything in one place, I hope you don't mind.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#72 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

Yes, thanks for this. This may be the way to go for me.

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#73 TheQ

TheQ

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:39 PM

I just read the DEPP 'Important Information' document and the following restriction seems to border on the insane:

FLOOD CLAIMS:
All flooded or damaged equipment must be shipped to the Coral Reef authorized facility within five (5) days of the claim. If the
damaged equipment has not been shipped within five (5) days of the occurrence, your deductible will be increased by ten
percent (10%) per day until the item is shipped.

That means that if I flood the first day of a 10 day liveaboard trip I lose ALL coverage (10% + 9 days X 10% = 100% deductible). Even assuming they meant that the penalty starts after the 5th day, that's still a 50% deductible. Realistically, I would not be able to ship it the last day of the trip... there would be at least a day of travel involved before I could ship it.

Has anyone experienced a flood like this? Does DEPP enforce this clause? If they do enforce this clause, who on earth would list with them?

Does the $250 deductible limit override the penalty?

#74 clownphoto

clownphoto

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:48 PM

They are actually very reasonable about this! My husband flooded his TopDawg housing on the 1st dive of a 2-week trip....we called them when we got home and told them exactly when it had happened and why it took us so long to make the claim and they paid it completely.... :)
Dive Travel Services

Janet Czapski
Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing, lots of lenses & dual Inon Z220's

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - Augustine

#75 Taxgeek

Taxgeek

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography!

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

Wow, what a great thread, for such an unfun topic!

To clarify a little, these policies (DAN + DEPP) cover camera gear whether or not you break it diving, right? Like if you're just a klutz and you drop it unrelated to scuba diving, it's covered, right?

And DAN's exclusion that everybody is talking about excludes claims for "loss" while the item is in your use and possession - like the aforementioned "oops I dropped it overboard while taking whale photos." This exclusion doesn't SEEM to exclude the klutzy "I dropped my camera on the deck and it broke" move, only the "I dropped it over the side and it sank in 2000 fsw," but just double checking.

Thanks!
Taxgeek
Canon 5d, Ikelite housing, ULCS arms, and dual DS-125 strobes.

#76 GLOC

GLOC

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 01:05 PM

Okay. I have just looked at a quote from Divemaster for a Fuji S2, Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 18-70, Ike Housing, 8" dome, Sony HC42 Camcorder, Clearcam Housing Total value £4500, premium total £360. This is ontop of the required £500 min dive equipment premium of £63. So for a years coverage it would be £423.

Any ideas for a better deal for someone in the UK ?

Thanks

Gareth
Gareth
Photosite: www.imagesoflife.co.uk
Hugyfot D200, Nikon D200, Sigma 10-20, Custom LocLine Arms, 2 x SS200, 1 x DS125

#77 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:06 AM

The Divemaster coverage looked attractive, but I inquired and was told that they were not licensed to issue insurance to anyone who is not a resident of the UK.

I've just signed up for the new camera insurance scheme inaugurated by the Nikonians - it's a website/organization for Nikon users. I've purchased coverage for EURO 17,500 work of camera gear for EURO 400. It seemed like a pretty good deal. Not strictly limited to Nikon gear (my Subal housing is covered), but I don't think I'd bother approaching them with an all Canon system. You have to pa for a silver membership level in Nikonians, which is not expensive.

(Thanks to whoever put me on to this, by the way.)

Nikonians

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#78 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:24 AM

Robert, do you have a link for the insurance issue in Nikonians ?
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#79 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:03 AM

Here it is Arnon:

http://www.nikonians.org/insurance

You have to be a Nikonian member to join.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#80 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:55 AM

At last!!!
Nikonians launched today its NikSecure Info Portal

From the portal:
Main Features and Benefits
Apply and manage your insurance online. Easily modify insurance coverage online.
Fast and hassle-free claim processing online.
Low premium: Insure equipment worth $5,000 USD for only $150 USD per year.
Cover up to a maximum of $20,000 USD worth of equipment.
Covers both amateur and professional use.
Covers all camera equipment and photography accessories.
Worldwide coverage and your location does not matter.
"All risk" coverage including breakage.
Covers breakage, damage, theft and loss.
Covers accidental damage.
Covers damages due to rain, water, moisture, snow, sand, storms, lightning, explosions and "Act of God".
Covers damage, breakage or theft on camping grounds and in tents.
No deductible except on theft ($250 USD).
"New for old" within the first 12 months of purchase of new equipment. Compensation after 12 months based upon actual cash value.
Insurance available both in US Dollars (USD) and in Euro (EUR).

Annual Premiums
$0 - $5,000 USD insured equipment value for $150 USD flat (3%)
$5,001 - $7,500 USD insured equipment value for $190 USD flat (2.53%)
$7,501 - $10,000 USD insured equipment value for $225 USD flat (2.25%)
$10,001 - $20,000 USD insured equipment value for $400 USD flat (2%)

Its not writing there but in discussion its was mention that damage that done while diving is covered including housing, strobes and any other necessary equipment needed to u/w photograph.

Update from the FAQ:
If I dive with my camera is it covered?
If you are using a underwater housing that was not defect at the time of starting the dive, yes.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.