23 replies to this topic

#21 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

Now that's a new one, so, if you switch the new subtronic TTL to manual it doesn't work well? This isn't supposed to happen, I don't think, but I guess it would solve your problem if you remove the ready light pin (there are no effects on TTL as far as I know, so you can just remove it and leave it out).

yes, indeed, I think that was a problem recently when I was diving in Yap and Palau. I had another problem with one of the flash and the flash arm battery (Mike Veitch knows about it...) and therefore switched to manual shooting using one flash only. And sometimes, kind of erratic, my camera was kind of blocking (not firing, not reacting at all) until I switched off both the camera and the flash and after a minute or so it was ready again. But happened only sometimes...could not figure out what is was and was not aware that it might be the problem like described in this thread until I read yesterday this one again... so I will test again all kind of options next time diving (unfortunately not before April in the Bahamas with Jimmy...ha ha).

And for Subal, I am not surprised that they don't know... but I will check with Subtronic and will let you know

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#22 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:08 AM

I have tested this recently during my red sea trip in june. the subtronic / subal can be switched underwater from TTL to manual power (the housing-internal connector is always on the TTL-socket) without cutting any cables.

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#23 danclem

danclem

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:54 AM

Now for the reverse issue. Ikelite just came out with a TTL cable for their flash units and Nikon attachments. To make this work you need to reinsert the pin that was taken out per earlier instructions.

I am in the Galapagos, and it works fantastically. The TTL settings work outstandingly in a variety of challenging conditions. If you make this switch there is a single connection to the housing. Make sure you use the five pin plug.
Dan Clements
Nikon D300
Subal Housing
Ikelite 125 Strobes

#24 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

Now for the reverse issue. Ikelite just came out with a TTL cable for their flash units and Nikon attachments. To make this work you need to reinsert the pin that was taken out per earlier instructions.

I am in the Galapagos, and it works fantastically. The TTL settings work outstandingly in a variety of challenging conditions. If you make this switch there is a single connection to the housing. Make sure you use the five pin plug.

That's very good to know, I didn't know their new cable was in the market already. Please post some photos and maybe a quick review when you can!

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.