#1 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:27 AM

Hi all,

First "well done Alex" great photo on the front cover of the new DIVE magazine Jan 2006..

Second "how spooky"
I was just looking at that photo on your website after following a link on a different thread. I heard the postman dropping the mag throught the door, went downstairs "well I'll be Trucked" there it was.

Anyway great shot and weird start to the day..

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:27 AM

Congrats Alex! How about posting the photo or a scan of the cover? :D

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:31 AM

Thanks Dean,

I have not seen it myself yet. I only sent them the picture two weeks ago today. That is so quick!

Anyway it is the first cover for the Magic Filter (excluding UWP Magazine, which is editted by Magic co-worker Peter Rowlands!). I am very pleased about this :D. I think that this cover really helps establish filters as a proper UW photographic technique. I know a few pro photographers have said that Magic filters images have the "wrong" look for publication. Hopefully this will start to prove that all UW photos don't have too look the same.

According to Peter, who just rang me, there is also a Magic Filter review inside. Which I have also not seen yet. But he sounded pleased.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:38 AM

Hi Alex,

My pleasure !!

Just seen another one of yours in the mag, the Giannis D..

Your filters got a 10/10 for value and 9/10 for performance.

They certainly love you me old mate ..

nice one.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#5 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:28 AM

Awesome, congrats on that!

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#6 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:28 AM

Congrats!
If someone can scan and upload the frame it will be great to thus of us that don't get 'Dive'
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:05 AM

Here is the cover:

Posted Image

Shooting data for those who are interested was:
Diver through porthole. Giannis D Wreck, Abu Nuhas, Egypt (June 2005).
Nikon D2X + 10.5mm FE, Subal housing. 1/40th @ F7.1. Magic Filter.

The original image was actually shot as a horizontal:

Posted Image

But because of the black background inside the ship it was easily recropped into a vertical.
http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:07 AM

Congrats Alex! Yes, scan that thing so we can all see it. 9/10 hmm. Well, they left you some room for improvement... :D

Seriously though, good job.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:56 PM

I have just read the review of the Magic Filter and I am so pleased about it. Although I know Charles Hood the reviewer - I really didn't have any contact with him during the review - he took the filters off to California and tried them out with his D100. In fact Peter sends out the filters, so I didn't even know he had them.

Not only does he really understand how they work, but he also gets why they are a valuable tool that offers the photographer another way of shooting. They are not a replacement for strobes, but they can take images that strobes cannot. They are another weapon in the armory.

The review points outs the limitations of the Magic Filter "they can only be used with a digital camera" and that it is "tedious" to have to "set the white balance for each depth".

But my favourite line is "What were the results? In a word - astonishing." Far more exciting than having a covershot!

Alex

p.s. I have just seen the big shot feature - which this month profiles Mauricio's split level shots.

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:03 AM

Yes excellent review,

I've seen good feedback in different threads. Well done !!

I have a friend who has designed a part for rebreathers. Something that makes it easier to change gas mixes ?? I won't go into it as I'm not a techno person :D . But he's had interest from different companies.

Must be exciting to have your product work so well. I know it is for him.. :D

"Oh, well" must get on with my design for my 'Aquatic reverse condenser hoover' that warms up any water and clears bad viz.. :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#11 timing

timing

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:46 AM

I bought my Magic filter set in Sept ready for my visit to the Southern Red Sea in Oct. I was packing for the holiday the day before I set off and realised I couldn't remember the 'safe place' where I had stored the filters. No matter how much I search, they were not to be found. I was very very annoyed and had to leave without having them in my folder. Part of this was because I knew we would be visiting elphinstone and diving with the Oceanic White Tips (which turned out to be awesome). Turns out that I needn't have stressed about it at all - Why? well because the camera died on me before my first dive and I had no spare; ergo no photography for me the whole week.

The camera has since been repaired but reading about how great these filters are just magnifies the pain.

Well done tho Alex.