#1 nprguy

nprguy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:36 PM

OK,

Thanks in part to the helpful responses in this forum, I'm now focusing (pun unintended) on the Canon A620 for my next camera.. I've not been able to determine in my web research whether the Canon housing for same will accomodate the wide angle and/or macro lenses offered as add-ons for the camera.

Also wondering if the AF assist lamp (that helps to focus in low-light conditions) is impeded in its function by the frosted diffuser on the housing.

Thanks for your input.

ps...looking to see any experienced photogs' sample shots with the A620 in full manual mode.

Best regards,

#2 Jamdiver

Jamdiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography and anything involving water.

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:12 AM

Hey nprguy, well as my signature clearly attests to I am not an experienced photographer.

However I can offer some info based on what i've read on this and other boards.

Firstly the diffuser can be removed from the camera if it impedes the af light.
It seems that due to the weird shape of the u/w housing it'll take a while
for manufacturers to come on board with external lenses.

Here's a link to an ongoing discussion on wetpixel about this very same topic http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=11092
Pics from a fellow A620 user, I don't know if she's experienced or not but she does take some nice photos.
http://www.flickr.co...s/32746142@N00/
Canon A610, Canon WP-DC90 housing +1 newbie
Topside - Canon EOS 400D +goodies

My Flickr Page

#3 nprguy

nprguy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:07 AM

Thanks, Jamdiver,

Appreciate the info. I don't mean to sound snobbish by asking about "experienced" photogs--I'm far from a pro; it's just that the few pix I've seen so far, including those that you linked me to, leave me queasy about the A620. They seem unsharp and sort of washed out in color. My old Oly 3040 seems to do better. I may just get another of those on eBay, but I'd like to see some more samples of the A620 first.

As for the lenses, Canon makes an adapter ring and lenses that attach right to the front of the A620 camera. My question is whether the Canon housing, the WP-DC90, has enough room inside to accomodate these. Of course, I may be demonstrating my ignorance here---is it even feasible to use add on lenses *inside* a housing? I've not attempted that before.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

#4 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:42 AM

There is no chance of fitting any add on lenses to the A620 inside the Canon housing. There is just no room. Any extra lenses for these type of cameras need to go on the outside of the housing

#5 Jamdiver

Jamdiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography and anything involving water.

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:53 AM

You have a point nprguy re the photos I linked to.
However I took a look at the image properties of the photos and it seems that most were shot in auto mode.

I'm seeing aperture values of f 2.0 to f 3.0 and shutter speeds of 1/60s to a low of 1/25s.
That probably explains the 'softness' of the photos and blurriness in some of the shots.
Canon A610, Canon WP-DC90 housing +1 newbie
Topside - Canon EOS 400D +goodies

My Flickr Page

#6 kodiat

kodiat

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hi nprguy,
Seems like too late for replying but anyhow I post this link for you.
Here some first attempt to use my A620
Hope it helps

ps...looking to see any experienced photogs' sample shots with the A620 in full manual mode.

Best regards,