Photo
- - - - -

SB800 and... DS125 or Inon D2000 as TTL slave ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:44 AM

Hi - I'm about to replace my F100 with the D200... and would like to know if these 2 combinations are working in TTL mode:
- SB800 with a DS125 slave
- SB800 with an Inon D2000 slave
Any experience about these configurations?
Thanks
Claude
www.Aquatilia.com
Nikon D300 - Sea & Sea housing

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:54 AM

Hi Claude,

Neither will work very well. The SB800 fires a dozen preflashes before it fires the main flash, all within milliseconds. So your slave strobe will just get totally screwed up. It may fire on the first preflash, then recycle a bit and fire at the main flash, but with only diminished power. If you want to give it a try, you need a strobe that recycles very fast, and these two are both fast strobes.

If I were you, I'd just get 2 DS125's

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

If I were you, I'd just get 2 DS125's

Hi James...
What's about TTL in that conf ? it doesn't work I think - I'm right ?
Thanks
Claude
www.Aquatilia.com

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hi Claude,

That depends. Ikelite offers TTL housings which work in iTTL with their strobes.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:03 PM

I'm used to Subal... would't be easy to change for Ikelite ;)
www.Aquatilia.com

#6 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:50 PM

My divebuddy tried single SB800 with DS125 and Sea and Sea YS-90 as slave and they did not mixed well at all as the SB 800 will not compensate for the slave strobe.
You can use 2 SB800s but only in Sealux housing as there is a little clear window so the strobes can communicate with each other upto a certain distance (not very far). Subal housing for SB800 does not have this window (don't know about the current production but the earlier version, anyhow).

Ikelite has mentioned in the past that they are planning on making a built in iTTL converter into the sync cord so eventually you can shoot iTTL with Ikelite DS strobes without Ikelite housing but I am not sure when that will become available.
Boi
D2X, dual Ikelite DS 125 strobes with manual EV controllers, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 18-70mm, 60mm macro and macro 70-180mm. Subal housing
My Website:morboi.com

#7 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:04 PM

Or you can shoot in manual, it is incredibly easy with digital. Look here:

http://wetpixel.com/...?showtopic=6199

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#8 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:57 AM

Or you can shoot in manual, it is incredibly easy with digital. Look here:
http://wetpixel.com/...?showtopic=6199

I saw that discussion... I'm used to shoot in manual for WA - but would prefer, if there is a way for, to find a TTL solution !

What's about a SB800 in TTL mode and a plugged strobe in manual mode ?

Thanks
Claude B)
www.Aquatilia.com

#9 Fisheyedave

Fisheyedave

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:01 PM

I have been playing around today with the D200 and SB800 on land using an Inon 220F in slave mode. Most shots were in the usual macro configuration as I use underwater, amazingly the Inon was duplicating the SB gun both in iTTL and manual. It is fast enough to cope with the preflashes and the main flash even when
I had f22 set. and not one duff shot. It did not work on full manual (- with SB800 set to iTTL), but dial in -1and1/2 stop and it coped with the preflash. Hopefully this will work underwater too ! What the burst of preflashes will do to skittish fish is another matter, it seems quite noticeable to me, but there is always full manual to fall back on.

Dave
Nikon D200 and Fuji S2 in home built housings, SB104, SB28's SB800 in home built housings.Inon 220Fs Subal with F90x S&S strobes and usual selection of glass.

#10 Fisheyedave

Fisheyedave

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:31 AM

An interesting button on the D200 is the Function button. One option for iTTL flash is to use FV lock, so do a test by pressing the Function button, the preflashes determine the exposure without firing the main flash, now releasing the shutter just fires the main flash - useful if using an optically triggered slave!
After a series of shots, press the Function button again to release the setting.

I hope housing manufactures will include a control for this useful button !
Dave :(
Nikon D200 and Fuji S2 in home built housings, SB104, SB28's SB800 in home built housings.Inon 220Fs Subal with F90x S&S strobes and usual selection of glass.

#11 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

<_< You can set the SB800 not to emit pre-flashes by setting it as a master flash unit in wireless multiple flash [SU-4 mode if you use the Sealux] or by setting the flash head to vertical position [like in the Subal housing]. Then you can use the Inon strobe as a slave triggered by the light sensor or use a DS-125 with Ike's TTL sensor. The Inon or the Ike will follow in sync the SB800 although the SB800 will only work in Non-TTL Aperture [A] or Auto Aperture mode [AA] with the D200 and that might be a problem since to work requires the housing to have a window for the SB800 built-in sensor [which only the Sealux housing does]. Of course that Manual mode works.With an S2 this set-up will do TTL. :o
PS: I have no association whatsoever with Sealux and as far as I am concerned their products have good manufacturing but their customer service is absolute rubbish ;) .
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery