• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gianster

gianster

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:08 PM

A couple of shots with the 10.5mm at West Caicos for the 1st time. What do you think?

Attached Images

• DSC_0106_copy.jpg
  • DSC_0053_copy.jpg
  • DSC_0070.jpg

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:42 AM

I like #2 with the diver on the background. The others lack a clear subject on the foreground. What I do is try to find a big seafan or sponge to put in the foreground, and the diver in the background always works.

Anyways, those are great to be your first shots with it. Nice that your fins or the strobes didn't appear in the photos.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:59 AM

I think #1 is nice with the divers hanging on the deco bar. That pic shows the true value of the 10.5 by having a nice foreground main subject and then a vast panorama negative space with a boat and decompressing divers.

Nice work

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6167 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:56 PM

Look pretty good to me, as Luiz said, no strobe flare in the shots so you did well. Also looks like you got close to your subject and that is key, keep it up

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 Photobeat

Photobeat

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Top Side photography also, Compete in Triathlons, former professional drummer

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

Number 1 is a good try but needs a diver in the near background, the ones by the boat are just too far. The second is your best pic but lacks a little impact on the main subject but I still like it. The third is really a throw away. Way to hot, need a couple stops down, everything is too centered and the bottom divers legs are cut off ...so ace that one. Great job though with this lens for the first time and I give this critique on a high level as the shots are good. In a year or two you will laugh at these compared to what you will have down the road. You are oviously reading and doing many of the basics correctly, shooting up, getting your subjects and backgrounds together. Work on finding good subjects, ie colorful or large items if no fish around. Editing wise avoid keeping pics like number 3 with a blown out surface, diver falling out of the frame etc. Keep at it.
Aquatica Housing - D100 - 10.5dx - 17-55DX - Nikonos 105 strobes - TLC arms

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:40 AM

They are a great effort for first time out with this lens. It is not an easy lens to use to begin with. I'm on dial up so I only looked at the 1st one large. You are putting the image together pretty well. You need to concentrate on lighting the foreground more evenly. Think about moving your strobe to full illuminate the subject.

Have a look at Espen Rekdal's website:
http://www.espenrekdal.com/

His fisheye lighting is fantastic. A great place for inspiration.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).