• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dwake

dwake

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

Per the Ikelite web site, in January and February they are going to be coming out with new DS-200 strobes and new sync cords that are apparently iTTL compatible. Per their website:

"Coming soon are special iTTL sync cords that will allow the newest DS SubStrobe models to provide iTTL compatibility with non-Ikelite housings, and they will be available in single and dual strobe configuraions.

Coming soon is a digital SubStrobe 200 with a flashy new name like DS-200 in the current gray color. The newest IC chips and IGBT circuitry are allowing this ultra-wide (weitwinkel) and ultra-powerful strobe to move into the digital world. It willl also accommodate an optional EV Manual Controller."

I called and spoke to Tom at Ikelite and got some mixed messages. He said that the synch cords would only have Ikelite connectors on both ends, which means it will only be available for use with Ikelite housings. So, me with my Subal/D2x combo, am outta luck.

Now, my wife just got me a new DS125 for Xmas. So, if I read the quote from the Ikelite website correctly, then with the new sync cord, I would get iTTL compatibility with my new flash. But this doesn’t jibe with what Tom told me. I’m confused.

Has anyone heard anything to clarify this?

Bottom line is, can I use my new DS125 with one of these new sync cords and get iTTL compatibility/functionality with my Subal/D2x combo?

Also, assuming I can, would I be able to update my SS200 with the new circuitry to essentially become DS200 and also have iTTL compatibility/functionality?

Any news/info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

#2 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:56 AM

Doug, as far as I know, the only housing that is iTTL compatable is Ikelite, but they don't make a D2X housing....there is an aftermarket TTL converter available also, but I'm not real familiar with it...Matthias TTL converter....a search may get you more information

Having a DS-125 without a TTL module or converter will not acheive iTTL

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:41 AM

Hi Karl, Doug is right, Ikelite has been talking about producing an iTTL sync-cord, meaning the iTTL converter will be in the sync cord and can potentially be used with any housing. Check here:

http://www.ikelite.c...dsttlplans.html

They do say that the sync cord will allow iTTL with non-Ikelite housings, but that is only true if they are Nikonos-type sync cords. If they are Ikelite-type sync cords they will only fit Ikelite housings.

Doug, I think it is possible to put Ikelite connectors (instead of Nikonos) in the Subal housing. What I don't know is if it is possible to retrofit after manufacturing.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:09 AM

Hi:

Had two new SS200s pooch on me while diving in Cuba last month. Sent them back to Ikelite for warranty and/or repair work.

Just recieved them from the factory. The great news is that they now come with a sticker on the inside of the strobe case in the battery compartment that says "Ikelite DS 200 DS Updated". So it won't be long before the new actual model comes out if this is any indication. I will post a photo of the new sticker when I get a chance.

I too, am interested in the new sync cords so if anybody knows anything, please speak up.
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#5 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:57 AM

Hi Karl, Doug is right, Ikelite has been talking about producing an iTTL sync-cord, meaning the iTTL converter will be in the sync cord and can potentially be used with any housing. Check here:

http://www.ikelite.c...dsttlplans.html

They do say that the sync cord will allow iTTL with non-Ikelite housings, but that is only true if they are Nikonos-type sync cords. If they are Ikelite-type sync cords they will only fit Ikelite housings.

Doug, I think it is possible to put Ikelite connectors (instead of Nikonos) in the Subal housing. What I don't know is if it is possible to retrofit after manufacturing.

Luiz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the update Luiz.....I read this once but it didn't register that the TTL converter was actually a part of the sync cord....very interesting idea

Leave it to Ikelite :) :)

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#6 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:09 AM

Proves osmosis does not work around here. Tom didn't know we were going to have Nikonos connector on the iTTL sync cords and I didn't know anything about "Ikelite DS-200 Updated" being done. One sync cord concern is correct wiring of the bulkhead in non-Ikelite housings. Competition has offered many variations of what should be. Another alternative is include an Ikelite bulkhead for installation in the housing to assure correct wiring and eliminate the problematic Nikonos bulkhead. We are cogitating............

#7 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:09 AM

Hi:

Here is the picture of the decal/sticker I was talking about in an earlier post about the SS200 - DS200 compatibility upgrade. Hope this doesn't get anybody fired down there in Indiana.

Ike, If you need further info, feel free to PM me.DS200.jpg
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#8 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:12 AM

That's good news Paul, with this (hopefully cheap) update and the possibility of iTTL Nikonos sync-cords I may just want to try TTL underwater again.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#9 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:27 AM

James grabs his SS200's and sends them to Ikelite! Since Ikelite sells a lot of Canon housings and has figured out eTTL2, I'm hoping they'll do an eTTL2 converter cord too.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#10 dwake

dwake

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:46 PM

Ike - If I'm reading this right, and (1) I'm using new DS-125s or I get my current SS-200s updated + the new sync cord (which contains the iTTL converter) and (2) my Subal housing is correctly wired via the Nikonos connectors, then I should have iTTL functionality. Correct?

#11 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:52 PM

James grabs his SS200's and sends them to Ikelite! Since Ikelite sells a lot of Canon housings and has figured out eTTL2, I'm hoping they'll do an eTTL2 converter cord too

so would paul, or at least i'd go buy some, if the ettl2 synch cord could have an S6 connector on the housing end B)

/paul
Paul Papadopoulos
canon 1dmkII + seacam silver + inon z220
My Webpage

#12 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:32 PM

Canon requirement of six conductors will be an immediate stumbling block for coversion circuitry in the sync cords. Update of older SubStrobe 200 models requires trashing almost everything except the body, making it an expensive proposition. In other words, iTTL sync cords are more probable than eTTL at the moment. The http://www.ikelite.c...dsttlplans.html URL describes the why of our strobes and conversion circuitry.

#13 dwake

dwake

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:31 PM

Ike - I didn't get an answer to my previous post. Please let me know if I'm reading you're earlier post right. If (1) I'm using new DS-125s or I get my current SS-200s updated + the new sync cord (which contains the iTTL converter) and (2) my Subal housing is correctly wired via the Nikonos connectors, then I should have iTTL functionality. Correct?

#14 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

Dwake: Yes. Your assumption is the goal for the iTTL sync cords............

#15 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

So Ike, if you can't get the D200 to fit in the iTTL housing, we can go to the new iTTL cords and use a manual housing?

Will we still be able to still use the strobes in manual?....will we have more manual power settings than what's on the strobe?

Karl
www.kdietz.com

#16 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:41 AM

Canon requirement of six conductors will be an immediate stumbling block for coversion circuitry in the sync cords.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beside TTL plans, some inspiration plans ...

Posted Image

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#17 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

We are still cogitating on D200 housing with iTTL and eTTL sync cord for Canon............

#18 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

We are still cogitating on <snip> eTTL sync cord for Canon............

<grin> we believe in you, ike :)
Paul Papadopoulos
canon 1dmkII + seacam silver + inon z220
My Webpage

#19 dwake

dwake

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

Anyone heard any new news on the Ikilite Ittl sync cords? I checked the website and can't find any updates. Last I heard was March-06.

Ike - What's the latest? Any guess as to what the cost is going to be?

Thanks,
Doug

#20 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:32 AM

Not enough fingers and/or hours in the day for our insignificant little operation to get everything done. We have been distracted by the Nikon D-200 housing and DS-200 SubStrobe for example. We also have to work around some of our people who insist on going diving this week with the new D-200 housing. I told them vacations were illegal and they were bums, but my influence remains zero. Sync cord TTL has not been forgotten...........