• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

How long would a cheap metal tripod last with salwater use? I've got a cheap Velbon mini tripod (ultra maxi-f) sitting around in my closet collecting dust and I was wondering if it might be worth it try to mount that on my video housing.

Posted Image

tjgreen - look over in the video section, a couple guys have been using the gorillapod with success u/w.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#22 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hey guys. Does anyone have suggestions for a tripod head that would be suitable for both video and still use?

I travel with Norbert Wu a lot, and he has one that he has been using for like 15 years. It is beat up to hell, but works well. I'm wondering what current model to get.

The suggestion to get Amvona legs looks like a good one. I'll probably get one of these:
http://www.amvona.co...product_id=1956
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#23 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1059 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

are you planning on panning the video or just keeping it stationary?

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#24 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

Mostly stationary, but panning if necessary. :D
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#25 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1059 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

so no ball heads. you might be better to get a really cheap plastic panning head to begin with and see if you like the panning smoothness, and the difficulty that it poses with angles on uneven bottoms. For panning i'd use your own body rotation rather than a tripod as panning heads are quite complex.

Ball head is the way to go for stills/stationary, and you only need a tiny ball to support your rig underwater.

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#26 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

<snip>Ball head is the way to go for stills/stationary, and you only need a tiny ball to support your rig underwater.

I agree, a ball head is the only decent solution for stills.

Also, a tiny ball head is indeed fine for underwater...until you get tempted, and do this:

Posted Image

Hence I've always reccomended something on the big side. Used (meaning cheap) so you can trash it.

All the best, James

#27 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the info and pictures guys...decisions, decisions, decisions.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#28 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

Has anyone tried the Gorillapod 'Focus' u/w? ( http://www.joby.com/...rillapod/focus/ ) and in combination with a ball head? I imagine a dive weight wil provide adequate stability. The alternative of a large / heavy tripod would not be ideal for air travel. Thanks for any input.

PS. The Manfrotto 486RC2 and 488 series ball heads have a phenolic resin ball and would seem to be suitable. Which should I consider? Though I'm leaning towards the 488RC4 ( http://www.manfrotto...o...=80&child=2 ). Fortunately (?) I live in very rural Wales and the opportunity to buy anything like this only exists via mail order. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Edited by Timmoranuk, 27 April 2009 - 01:27 AM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#29 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:53 AM

Well, I went for the Gorillapod 'Focus' and the Manfotto 488 RC4. First impressions? The two attach together very neatly and are 16" overall length and 2 1/2lbs weight. If I wish to reduce this by 1lb (for travelling), I could subsistute the aluminium 'Focus' for the plastic 'SLR Zoom' but may have to add a dive weight for stability. The Manfrotto's quick release plate is a boon. All I need to do now is to attach a 3/8" tripod bush under my Ike tray and I'm away into the lands of HDR and panos...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#30 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:15 AM

Well, I went for the Gorillapod 'Focus' and the Manfotto 488 RC4. First impressions? The two attach together very neatly and are 16" overall length and 2 1/2lbs weight. If I wish to reduce this by 1lb (for travelling), I could subsistute the aluminium 'Focus' for the plastic 'SLR Zoom' but may have to add a dive weight for stability. The Manfrotto's quick release plate is a boon. All I need to do now is to attach a 3/8" tripod bush under my Ike tray and I'm away into the lands of HDR and panos...

I'll be interested to hear how the 'Focus' works. I found the regular Gorillapod was not as rigid as I would have liked underwater. I look forward to seeing some good panos, and HDR's. (Welcome to the HDR dark side.)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#31 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:30 AM

Hi Loftus,

I also have a Gorillapod 'SLR' which I certainly agree is far less rigid that the 'Focus' (which Joby tout as being able to support 11kgs). In fact I'd say the rigidity of the 'Focus' is spot on and needs both hands to bend it into shape, but that may change with use. Which model where you using?

#32 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

Maybe a stupid question, but I still can't figure out how do You attach the Ikelite dual handletray onto the ball head (or quick release plate). :lol:
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#33 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

Maybe a stupid question, but I still can't figure out how do You attach the Ikelite dual handletray onto the ball head (or quick release plate). :lol:

I already have a 3mm aluminium plate attached under the tray. It is my intention to machine a 10mm thick alloy plate, tap it with a 3/8th bush, and fix it to the 3mm plate with a couple of stainless set screws. The 3mm plate is already a 'donor' which allows me to attach a pair of dive lights, a hand strap and if necessary, a lanyard. I'll post detailed photos later.

#34 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

Great! Wayting for the pic's whenever You have the time :lol:
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard

#35 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:36 AM

Hi Karel,

This is my tripod solution for the Ike tray;

The photos show:

1. My original 'accessory' plate which fits under the Ike tray. The accessory plate is made from 3mm aluminium sheet and provides fixings for custom dive light mounts and a hand strap and is secured to the tray with a couple of stainless steel set screws.

2. The accessory plate fitted to the tray.

3. The tray, plate and tripod mount.

4. The tripod mount secured to the accessory plate with two more stainless steel set screws

5. A view of the tripod mount from below the tray

6. The complete assemby including the Manfrotto ball head and Gorillapod Focus.

Hope this helps. Tim

Attached Images

• IMGP5077.jpg
  • IMGP5078.jpg
  • IMGP5079.jpg
  • IMGP5086.jpg
  • IMGP5085.jpg
  • IMGP5075.jpg

#36 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:34 AM

Hi Tim!

Thanks alot for posting the pictures!
I went for a bit easyer solution and just modifyed the plate that attaches to the ballhead. Added a bigger bolt and screwed it right onto the armtray. :rolleyes:

How's that gorillapod working for You? Gives enough hight from the bottom?

Regards
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard

#37 rbailey

rbailey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

Just to add my 0.02 USD worth, I'm using a Manfrotto 724B (Modified).

http://www.manfrotto...o...=69&child=2

I have filled the bottom section of the legs with about 2kg of lead shot mixed with glue. Makes it nice and stable with low weight.

The upper sections have medium sized holes drilled to allow water/air to flow and aid drying post dive.

I have also replaced the bottom feet with eye bolts, the theory (un-tested) is that I can then use it at extreme angles or even upside down on and in wrecks by carefully using bungee cord.

To attach it to the housing I modified a large stainless steel bolt head on a lathe and then drilled though the housing. The Manfrotto quick release plate is then fitted on the under side of the housing. (Ikelite housing).

As for photographic results sorry still work in progress, as my teacher used to say "must try harder".
Cheers,
Richard B.

Attached Images

• Turned_Nut.JPG
  • Inside_tray.JPG

Camera : Canon 350 D. (8MP, D-SLR, APS-C.)
Housing : Ikelite eTTL hosuing.
Ports : 6" Dome, 8" Dome and Flat port and selection of extenstions.
Lenses : Sigma 10-20mm, 17-70mm Macro, 105mm Macro (with +4 diopter).
Stobes : 2 x Ikelite DS 125.
Arms : Ikelite, 18 inch quick release (LHS) and 8"+6" standard (LHS).
AND a Yellow Box Of Delights to breath from undewater and loads of other really fun stuff.

Check out ther results at :-

http://www.images-underwater.net/

#38 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:05 AM

Glad you got it sorted out Karel. The Gorillapod is not ideal but it is the best solution, I think, for the travelling diver.

I'm also very interested in using the Gorillapod to really nail the thin DOF when shooting macro with one or two UCL-165s. Using two of the legs as 'horns' works very well so long as there is dead coral or rock to rest them against. Since posting the photos I have drilled and tapped a 1/4" thread in the tripod plate so that I can attach the Grorillapod directly without using the Manfrotto ball-head. The ball-head restricts composition too much when shooting macro so I'll probably only use it when I'm shooting panos or HDR. Having both 1/4" and 3/8" threads in the mount allows for quick attachment or removal.

Well, we'll find out how well it works in a few weeks. I have a northern safari booked (Tiran, Ras and Abu Nuhas), then I'm then back in the UK for three days and CJ and I fly out to Marsa Alam when we are taking a southern safari to St. Johns and a week at Lahami.

#39 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:17 AM

Here's a heads up on the Manfrotto ball heads...

Having used mine a few times in freshwater only I noticed the phenolic ball had a tendency to jam. A few squirts of PTFE spray helped but the problem persisted. So, let's fully 'marinise' the head so I've stripped it completely to find that some internal parts are made from mild steel and had rusted badly after just a couple of immersions. The head is junk now and I would caution anyone about using a Manfrotto ball head underwater.

So does anyone know of a ball head which does not include mild steel components?

#40 mattfranke

mattfranke

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

I was thinking about making something like the Gorillapod, has anyone ever tried that underwater? Seems like you could make one using the same flexible plastic interlocking tubing folks use for strobe arms, and it's small, light, and would travel well. It would require something to attach it to though, you couldn't just sit it in the sand very well.

You would have to meet or know someone that could work with stainless steel plate or lead, but there are a ton of adapters that help mix and match different brands (Sea&Sea housing/Ikelite strobe). I attached a photo of one of the dovetail adapters that you can purchase. Mount that to a stainless steel or lead plate or plates depending on the config. youre looking for. Then they make the male dovetail end that has the standard 1'' ball to go into the gorilla type ball and socket arms that you are looking for. if you buried the plate or plates in the sand you can use the weight of the sea floor and the additional surface area to aid as weight that would not need to be carried in your bc with you. Its possible that if you did not have a strong current that this could be accomplished with plexiglass, which would be much easier to work with.