Underwater tripod?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 diverdad

diverdad

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Diving, sailing, travel, photography and DIY.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

Hi,

Just to add my 0.02 USD worth, I'm using a Manfrotto 724B (Modified).

http://www.manfrotto...o...=69&child=2

I have filled the bottom section of the legs with about 2kg of lead shot mixed with glue. Makes it nice and stable with low weight.

The upper sections have medium sized holes drilled to allow water/air to flow and aid drying post dive.

I have also replaced the bottom feet with eye bolts, the theory (un-tested) is that I can then use it at extreme angles or even upside down on and in wrecks by carefully using bungee cord.

To attach it to the housing I modified a large stainless steel bolt head on a lathe and then drilled though the housing. The Manfrotto quick release plate is then fitted on the under side of the housing. (Ikelite housing).

As for photographic results sorry still work in progress, as my teacher used to say "must try harder".
Cheers,
Richard B.

Just come across this thread, how did the system work out?
Do you have any pics of the legs with the eye bolts in place?
I too have a Ikelite housing and I was thinking of a quick release plate like you have.

Regards

Lee
------------------
Silent but deaf-lee

#42 Heather

Heather

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography: especially portrait, fashion and conceptual photography.
    BSAC diver.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hi,
I was trying to work out how to support a 2nd strobe without too much expense & came across this link; I got my old tripod out & have now attached an Ikelite DS160 head with velcro in a figure of 8 under the tripod plate & over the head. With a weight on the tripod hook it worked great in the pool and I can tilt and move the angle of light, as well as adjust the tripod height! Not sure it's so great for diving, but velcro is my tip! (ok it was my brothers smart idea! :) So pleased to have a 2nd strobe it's on this facebook picture link!
Heather

#43 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

I recently took a gorilla pod for SLRs and attached a Sola 2000 to it for illuminating parts of a wreck out of shot when shooting stills, works a treat!

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)