• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 10:51 AM

So, after debating over the Ikelite ds50 vs. YS90Dx for my Canon digital elf; (the DS50 has TTL but no mannual, the ys90dx has no TTL but manual) I broke down and got the Ikelite DS125 because it has both manual and TTL as well as a modeling light. I brought it with me on my dive trip last week to Grand Cayman.

At first, I couldn't get the strobe to sync with the camera at all. I taped a bit of aluminum foil inside the case to block out the camera's internal flash and positioned the TTL sensor toward the camera and the strobe fired as I expected, but you would never know it from looking at the pictures. In TTL mode or manual it looked as if the strobe was not there at all, no matter how close I got to the subject.

So I signed up for a 2hr private class at Cathy Church's shop and she looked at the system and determined that I needed to set the pre-flash setting on the TTL sensor to off. We tried pictures topside and indeed with the pre-flash switch (behind the battery cover) set to the pre-flash position (right) it wouldn't synch. In the ignore pre-flash position it was synched. :blink:

So now I'm confused. Because I thought the whole point of getting the expensive $800 strobe was to have it mimic the pre-flash so I could shoot TTL. Now in order to work properly I'm having to ignore the pre-flash and shoot manual. And without the lower settings of the YS90dx, my shots are still a bit over-exposed. I'd like to go less than 1/8. So I'm using the diffuser and holding the strobe in hand farther back.

Also, while the colors come out great at deeper depths and in tunnels, on shallow ~50ft reefs where there is more ambient light, I'm still getting primarially blue photos. Is this normal? how do you deal with this?

I realize that to do this right I need full control over shutter speed and aperature, but as a beginner working on composure and basic scuba skills buyoncy control) this camera has more than enough buttons and settings to fiddle with for now. As digital systems improve and come down in price and my skills increase I'll move to something more sophisticated. But for now, I think I should be getting better results than I am.

Thanks for the help

Chris

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 03:25 PM

Chris,

I would contact Ike or Larry at Ikelite. They can be reached through their webpage at www.ikelite.com

It sounds to me like you might have a problem with your sensor - although I have not used the sensor. I use a sync cord with my setup.

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org