13 replies to this topic

#1 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:13 AM

I heard a rumor that my old stand by velvia 50 is not being made anymore?? What do you know?? Thanks Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#2 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:31 AM

Hi Mark, this has been known for quite some time. Velvia 50 has been discontinued and replaced by Velvia 100. But not to worry, Velvia 100 is just as nice, if not nicer since it gives you an extra stop.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#3 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:38 AM

If you really love Velvia 50, and you shoot a lot of film, there are some good deals on EBay; just make sure that the expiry date is in the future. There's some Velvia 50 and Velvia 100F with June 06 expiry dates still out there. Buy from a photo store, so you know it's been in cold storage. If you PM me, I'll recommend one that I have bought from recently. I also know Canadian labs that still have stock, if you're nervous about using EBay.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#4 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:10 AM

Velva 100 (not to be confused with 100F) is really very very similar to velvia 50. No need to worry about anything :(

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#5 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:30 AM

Cor is right. Velvia 100 (not Velvia 100F) is beautiful. It has the colors of Velvia, same sharpness but even finer grain.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#6 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:28 PM

Yes, I totally agree, and use Velvia 100 myself. Sometimes people get attched to what they know. I have a friend still in mourning over Kodachrome!
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#7 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

I still love Kodachrome. It may not have the finest grain, but the way it renders light is beautiful. Unfortunately, processing is a pain, and scanning is difficult.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#8 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:28 AM

I agree with all of the above. I shot with Velvia 100 (which is currently being produced) and couldn't tell any difference from Velvia 50. Velvia 100F is a bit different, but it is not readuly available either.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#9 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:37 AM

And if you shoot digital, you can create Velvia 100, 100F, Kodakrome 64, Fuji Provia 50, Provia 100, 110 instamatic, Kodak SavON Cheapie, Kodak Gold 100, 200, 400, 800, and so forth :(
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#10 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

Kelpfish its film characteristic not a muniplulation thing. Besides I'm shooting film only

Anyone know the differances between velvia 100f and 100 . Outlets like B&H have both. Mark
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
All that Nikonos junk

#11 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:51 PM

Although 100F was originally thought to be a replacement for Velvia 50, its saturation was not as intense. Its grain size is identical (8). Although I thought it was being replaced by Velvia 100, it appears from Fuji's site it is not. It is meant for pros shooting in mixed lighting conditions, for colour accuracy. Therefore, if it's the punch of Velvia 50 you want, go with Velvia 100. It has even finer grain (9), and can be pushed 1 stop without increased grain.
If it's nice blues and big stuff, go with Provia. It's great for SUNBALLS. :(
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#12 Robert Zuch

Robert Zuch

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

Unless you are fussy, you could use Sensia instead of Provia. It is the consumer version. I can't tell the difference but then again I do not make a living from it.

cheers

Robert Z.

#13 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

I personally find Sensia quite flat in appearance, and the grain unacceptable, particularly in land photography ie blue skies. It is cheaper, but when you invest time and money you might as well spend a couple of bucks more and get the quality. We're quite lucky in BC as we have labs that sell the pro film with processing included, which makes it only a dollar or two more than the consumer version.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#14 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:00 AM

Film is such a small cost in the overall costs of shooting underwater. You spend -lets say a conservitly small amount-say 150 grand to200,000. Thats on 2 boston whalers boats- a few housings say 4 -all that nikonos junk -2 compressors- 25 scuba tanks- a few suits say 4-6 wet and 3 or 4 drysuits. 30 years worth of fins booties gloves and say one flies to New Guinea/indonesia for a month of onboard diving.. Is the cost of film a factor.
I agree that sensia is not for me.The velvia for macro work (who cares about a stop in macro)has been a mainstay for more years than I can recall. In the day it was kodacrome 64- great for big animals in blue water-it did alot more as well.. My pro topside 4x5 friend only shoots velvia 50 . He will be stocking up for sure as will I .
Robert Z you bet I'm fussy. Dragging your gear all over the planet and shooting crappy film -well lets just say I'll leave that to others. I have shot provia 100f topside and a little wide angle. I'll try the velvia 100. Thanks for all the film tips folks. Mark
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
All that Nikonos junk