• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 01:55 AM

I've never shot one, underwater, but i've seen a lot of people do it.

that's about the extent of what I can contribute in this forum category. :blink:
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:56 AM

I have a Nikonos V. It doesn't sync fast enough to get good shots of sealions, but the 15mm lens is awesome.

I sold the lens to go digital.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 03 December 2002 - 06:16 AM

I wonder if this forum was posted to wind-up anyone in particular?

Still if you come along to Manado or the photocomp in March I can instruct you in the art of original photography rather than the digital representation of it, with cameras that take proper photographs.

Regarding sync. speed: Guess maybe the reason people turned to digital was because of wasting so much film - kneeling on the bottom rigidly taking shots of moving subjects. Now 10,000 Japanese technicians take care of everything the moment the shutter is pushed! I noticed all of your sea lions were lying on rocks too the others were blurred - Good job you didn't have to hover eh!

:angryfire:

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 06:36 AM

Even at M90 you can only get 1/90th of a second sync speed. I had trouble stopping zooming sealions even at 1/125th.

This post could quickly "devolve" into a "digtal vs film" debate, but that is certainly not the point of this forum.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#5 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 06:50 AM

Absolutely: I think it would be a good idea to pull it now!

I can capture speeding objects like dolphin shark & seal and even penguins at lower syncs than that. Here the Nikonos is brilliant because I can pan very quickly with little drag... Not everything is done electronically in photography!

#6 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 08:11 AM

Hmmm...wetpixel? This thread does not appear to be shaping up well. I fear it is going to be a use verse them with no middle ground in sight. Or, hovering mid-water if you chose.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#7 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 08:21 AM

I wonder if this forum was posted to wind-up anyone in particular?

It seems to me that this comment represents a repressed desire to be a "real" digital photographer.

:blink:

In all seriousness, you should worry less about what medium you use, because for the most part, the people here don't particularly care whether you shoot film or digital(although I like to know which you're using mostly out of curiousity). I don't think the post was intended to wind anyone up, it was just Eric's way of starting off the topic.

Until recently, I shot film topside almost exclusively, because I felt my Elan 7e was more flexible than my Sony digital, yet I chose to house my Sony. It was mostly because of the inherent benefits of digital underwater such as lack of processing cost, quicker learning curve, and more shots per dive, but I also had some pretty poor luck with a Sealife Reefmaster prior to buying the digital.

That said, the Elan was the primary reason I bought a D60, to recreate that flexibility in a digital camera. I didn't get rid of my Elan, I love it for B&W and for the fact that wide just isn't wide enough with my D60.

Ok, I'm rambling now, but I guess my point it, this whole site is about sharing opinions and knowledge. You're going to agree with some and disagree with others, and getting all :angryfire: doesn't do anyone any good.

Just my $0.02...
Tom

#8 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 03:18 PM

Actually, I didn't start this category or this thread to try to get the film guys worked up. I just thought it would be nice to have a forum to discuss film-specific issues for those wetpixel users who are still shooting film...
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#9 fotofish

fotofish

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 04:09 PM

[I have a Nikonos V. It doesn't sync fast enough to get good shots of sealions, but the 15mm lens is awesome.
]

The V didn't sync fast enought for sealions? I never had a problem with that, but then of course I have mainly done sealion photography in the Sea of Cortez at Isla San Jorge, where you litterly have hundreds of sealions in your face. FYI I was using a Nikonos V, 15mm lens, dual SB 105 strobes. Most shots were done on M90 f8 left strobe on 1/4 power and and right on 1/16. I'll see about digging some of the shots up to post if you're interested.

I think a couple of things keeping me from going digital at the moment is I'm pretty anal ( at least my friends say so ) when it comes to u/w photography and carry quite a bit of back up equipment. Yeah I have flooded more than I care for.

Have a great day and enjoy life

Stephen
Aquatica AD200/300 housing
Nikon D300
Nikon D200 Ikelite D200 housing
Dual DS 125's
Not enough glass to make me happy

Stephen Nichols

#10 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 08:23 PM

I am about to "go backwards" myself - after starting MX5 (I can here the laughter ringing already) I went digital with a 4040/Pt10/DX90/DS125 and am now awaiting delivery of a Sea and Sea NX80 for a Nikon F80!

Why did I make this descision - one was cost but the major factor was actual image quality - film is capable of pulling off stunning results that my exp. of digital cannot match.

On the bright side I am staying digital by saving up for a slide scanner!!

#11 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 08:34 PM

A summary then:

It seems to me that this comment represents a repressed desire to be a "real" digital photographer -
Ok, I'm rambling now...

Hardly,

The arguement was over an incorrect assumption aimed at people using Nikonos Cameras by someone pleased with himself over a few static teeth & sealion shots.

As I said before it takes more than state of the art electronics in a plastic box to make a photographer, there is still the same failure rate but the evidence is erased.

The word 'pro' on the camera is for marketing purposes; it doesn't automatically make you one... and how many back up bodies do you take on trips?

The primary statement proved that looks are more important than ability, with too much emphasis on the former.

An apology before the second statement would have worked, then this forum, though wholly unnecessary could have headed in a constructive direction.

#12 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 08:54 PM

"It's more important to look good than to feel good...and you look marvelous."
-- Fernando

Bob, I'm very pleased with your new avatar.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 08:59 PM

Yes, I am very pleased with my results Bob.

Signed,
James Wiseman
Amateur Photographer with only one camera body.

Dual Ikelite Strobes

#14 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 09:08 PM

Thanks Craig!

#15 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 09:20 PM

Bob,

I apologize for offending you with my joke. I'd be happy to go back and edit my post if you think it would help the bulletin board.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#16 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 09:20 PM

Your finest work yet!
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#17 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 09:36 PM

I thought you would like that Craig!

James: Thankyou - All is Cool!

#18 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 05:59 AM

Bob,

Same here, sorry for the joke, didn't mean to offend you...

Tom

#19 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 08:57 AM

No worries... Guess I chose the wrong day to stop smoking eh!

#20 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 08:05 AM

I just returned from the Belize Aggressor III, where I shot both with my S2 and Nik V. Although, I used the S2 much more than the Nik V, it was because the S2 is the new toy and was fun to download to my laptop, immediately after the dives. I was very pleased with the results of both. The S2, being housed, took my macro shots to a level I never achieved with the Nik V. However, this could have been done with a housed film camera as well.

I found that the S2 does TTL macro far better than I ever achieved with my Nik V. Not only is the exposure good but the colors seem to be very accurate as well. I shot RAW and found many of the shots to be better untouched or with minimal adjustment in PS.

Bottom line, I plan to continue using both for some time although I have to admit the cost savings and immediate results are very gratifying. I would have used a total of 22 rolls of film at a cost of $120 - 180 depending where I bought it. I would have had all but the last day's rolls processed onboard ( getting results the following day)for another $200 or $154 if I waited til I got back home. Then I either invest in a slide scanner or pay $1.75 per slide to have them burned on CD. In the past, I narrowed it down to around 50 - 60 slides.

On the other hand, I was downloading images while everybody else was working on their tans and soaking up rays for the next dive. I feel like I might have missed a little on the R&R side of my vacation.