shark nets are bad!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 diveh2o

diveh2o

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, surfing, rock climbing, sailing....

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

as far as i am concerned, shark attacks are just a risk of surfing, swimming etc. why cant we stop trying to tame and human-ize everything

http://www.int.iol.c...02259689C886970
Roger Kirkpatrick
www.newhousegalleries.com/roger

Nikon D200 and D100 in Aquatica housings. nikkor 10.5, 20, 12-24. Ikelite DS 125s (2) and Ultralight arms.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

That is because "we" come first. We want to do what we want when we want, it's a "right". And anything that impedes our fun be damned.
I've actually watched them pull the net up for the sardine run and the number of turtles, rays, sharks and dolphins are almost sickening. The guys have shown me video of extracting a humpback from the net... it is quite disheartening. But as the human population moves towards the sea, conservation efforts are going to be problematic at best.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 diveh2o

diveh2o

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, surfing, rock climbing, sailing....

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:38 AM

Last summer I did an internship in Aquaculture down at U Miami. One of the things that we tested was the potential for the use of magnets to keep the sharks away from the fish cages. Sharks use the earth's magnetic field to navigate, and are extremely sensitive to magnets. When presented with a nice bloody tuna carcass, the sharks ate it... when presented with the same thing with a nice magnet on the hook too, they stayed away.

This could potentially be used instead of the nets. The thing that bothers me is that there are alternatives, that are possibly even more effective, and it seems to be in the human spirit to resent change.
Roger Kirkpatrick
www.newhousegalleries.com/roger

Nikon D200 and D100 in Aquatica housings. nikkor 10.5, 20, 12-24. Ikelite DS 125s (2) and Ultralight arms.

#4 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:28 PM

By Neptune's beard!! It's hard to find anything positive coming from man's interaction with the sea!!What ever happened to the bubble net idea?

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

That all depends on if you are a whale or not....

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

LOL! Can we train a few humpies to screen the beach with bubbles? Wonder what their pay rate is in krill?

#7 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

As long as the media jumps on every shark attack like its the 2nd coming of Jaws, they will keep the general uneducated public in fear. Thus the demand for "shark nets" will be high. I watched a show about the US shrimping industry the other day and how its shrimp techniques are strip mining the sea.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter