• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:03 AM

Having been a Canon shooter for over 15 years, this is a real tough one for me. I know Don's gonna see this and laugh, since I have talked with him for about 2 weeks about the Canon G2. (Yes, Don I had made up my mind, but BH sold out, and that gave me more time to think about it while they order more)

Anyway....I started thniking about the merits of the G2 vs the coolpix 5000 in the ikelite housings. The way I see it the following are the issues:

1: I know canon gear, love canon gear and have plenty of batteries, chargers, etc that will already fit the G2.

2: Already have software, computer set up for Canon. (more hogged up drive space with nikon)

3: Image quality. I have not seen the coolpix smaples yet, but the G2 is highly rated, and the raw format makes wonderful processed images.

4: Coolpix 5000 has a significantly higher mpix/file size. which would be nice for those occasional wall bangers.

5: Coolpix takes a direct hotshoe connection, so I can use non sensor strobes and still maintain TTL. For some reason i trust this more than the sensor system.

I see a lot of pluses for each system. I dont need one for another 3 months, so I can wait for the housing, but I really would like some opinions from you'all before I make my final decision.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:12 AM

Well, since you already made your mind up I won't "waste" too much time trying to convince you otherwise...

The G2 has a brighter lens than the Coolpix. Do you think you'll be taking a lot of shots at f1.0? If so, then maybe you need the Canon. The majority of the my last dive trip, I never shot anything below about F4

The G2 has a longer lens. Do you like to take long telephoto shots underwater? Might need the Canon then. The lens on the Coolpix zooms to 28mm - just like the "all round useful" lens on the Nikonos. If you want to go wider, Nikon sells a 19mm lens for the CP5000.

Do you have an SB105 strobe like about 1/4 of the UWphoto world? If so, you can't use it with the G2. Too bad. You can hook it up and sync it directly to the coolpix. Don't like TTL? Then shoot in manual - but you can still sync it.

HTH
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:53 AM

LOL I haven't made up my mind James, I had, but when BH sold out, gave me yet another length of time to reconsider!

Thanks for the advice on the Coolpix. It actually sound like a better fit for underwater use, I am just a little concerned about image quality. DP review member and site reviews had some issues with it.

It looked to me like it has a bit more of a noise problem at 200+ iso than the others.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 07:46 AM

Why would you want to shoot at ISO200 for underwater shots?

ISO100 on the Coolpix - shots look great.

Cheers
James

[Edited on 3-12-2002 by jamesw]
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 03:05 PM

I've also been thinking about upgrading, and I'm leaning towards
the G2. The biggest advantage of the G2 is the raw output mode.
If you do any post processing it's best to start with the raw
image without having the camera do a white balance beforehand.
The jpeg or tiff output is 8 bits/color, and the CCD is better
than that which means the dyanmic range is better in the
raw output mode. Tests by Phil Askey show better than
9 bits dynamic range from the CCD of a G1. Hopefully the G2
can do as well. See

http://www.dpreview....icrange_raw.asp

An extra bit of dynamic range is very significant. It'll
give you better details in shots with very bright and very
dark regions. With 9 bits of dynamic range you can compensate
for being a full stop underexposed and produce a full range
8 bit output.

I do agree that the coolpix 5000 is better at macro,and its
zoom range is better for UW photos, but these are things you can fix
with add-on lenses.

Herb

[Edited on 3-12-2002 by herbko]
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#6 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 12:04 AM

Somehow, it forgot I was "logged in", and I didn't notice until looking at the final post result...

Now I'll never be a "member"...
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#7 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 07:26 PM

Hey Don,

Good points all! Im still contemplating biting the bullet and getting the d30 housing and housing the 550ex.

Not that I could ever hope to duplicate James' stuff, but wow!

Luckily, I don't have a trip for another 3.5 months! As slow as I am making this decision, I might have made up my mind by then

;)