• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

Nikon has announced today that they will no longer sell most of their film cameras. The only film cameras that will continue to be manufactured are the F6 and the FM10. Full news article here:

http://www.nikon.co....ow.aspx?rid=201

Is this the real end of the film era?

I guess the good news are that "Nikon Corporation has made the decision to focus management resources on digital cameras in place of film cameras."

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#2 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

So now they have time to focus on a D-nikonos ???
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#3 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:30 PM

This was a sad post to hear. Now when are you going to sell that D2x setup for 1/2 price for the next new 20 mexapixel. I'll take that old D2x. Already have all the subal ports. Put me 1st on list. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:48 AM

I think that the discontinuation of film stock will really mark the end. The old film cameras still take great shots.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:05 AM

This should come as no surprise to anyone.......I'm actually surprised Canon hasn't done this already....

I think I remember reading around 2002 or so a good digital migration story. Jim Watt was kneeling on a beach in Hawaii shooting nesting turtles with what then was a ground breaking dSLR, the Canon D60. I think after shooting it, reviewing his photos immediately KNOWING he got some keepers he proclaimed "Film is DEAD!" to other shooters he was with. They didn't quite take him seriously :lol:

And he was right WAY BACK THEN. I bought two (2) Nikon D100 cameras (having Nikon glass back then) on the day they went on sale, I think June 2002 and never looked back.....

No love lost here....

dhaas

P.S. - Been trying out a Canon 5D, what a machine!
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:39 AM

I think that this is more of a PR stunt than anything else. Rather than quietly discontinuing models that don't sell anymore - Nikon is making a big fuss that they are concentrating R&D on digital (as if they weren't before)!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:59 AM

I'm not sure it's a PR stunt Alex. Nikon is struggling mightily to get their manufacturing capacity up to the current demand for their digital cameras. They are way behind. In the last few years, Nikon has standardized everything possible across their camera lines. Meaning, the guts of the D2x, D2h, and the F6 are all the same. The LCD's on all of their DSLR's are now the same (main reason for the D70s). Etc.

Nikon actually cannot afford to devote resources to producing outdated camera bodies like the F80 and F60.

My guess is the remaining stock of parts will be used for repairs, and Nikon will go 100% with their manufacturing in Thailand (standardized for the D70, D50, and perhaps D200) and their plant in Japan for "professional cameras (D2x and h, F6).

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

I'm surprised it took them so long!

How long will it be before Canon follow suit?
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish