• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

I've been asked to present at a local group my SE Asia travels and experience. Natually, I want to expose these midwestern land lubbers to the wonders and plights of the ocean's denizens as well as the nice people I met in Thailand, Burma, and Indonesia.

I have JPEGS from my Canon S50 and will also scan a few maps etc. to show. After a little research on the 'net, it looks like the first choice to make is DLP or LCD projectors, then on to Lumens, Resolution, and Contrast. Any suggestions for me around <$1000usd?

thanks,
SS

#2 Photobeat

Photobeat

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Top Side photography also, Compete in Triathlons, former professional drummer

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

I do a little home theater work in my business, 1st you won't get a DLP projector for under 3k US new so that is out of your price range. If your presentations are going to be mostly in dark rooms I think the Panasonic AE-700U is a great bet and also a fantastic lcd unit. It is about 1700.00 new as the new AE-900u is out over the 2k mark. I am afraid my suggestions are a little out of the price range but the office stores have some decent Epson and lower cost Optimas that may work. As you can never see them in action you can return them easily. I can attest that the Panasonic is a quick setup, and I mean quick and easy fast setup - the best out there for value and price. Some LCD 's are very close to DLP quality hardly noticeable and a much better value. Pj's are like computers they get better and better very fast and also cheaper. Investing in DLP is not worth it - my opinion.

This site will be a big help www.projectorpeople.com. Their price new is the best around. Used you can try ebay. Todd is a good guy to ask for. They do lots of side by side comparisions and he gives you straight advice.
Aquatica Housing - D100 - 10.5dx - 17-55DX - Nikonos 105 strobes - TLC arms

#3 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

We travel alot teaching. The presentations are all PowerPoint with tons of photos imbeded.

We use a Proxima X350 (1100 lumens) and an InFocus 120 (1000 lumens). Both present well as long as you dim the lights (not all the way off), use a real screen, and don't go larger than 8' wide.

We recently taught at a location that had an InFocus X2. Except for the decreased resolution, the color and brightness was great; we used it in a fairly bright room (all lights were on) with a real screen.

I'd look at the X3. It has the resolution and brightness, but is kind of heavy, although still easily portable. If you don't want to lug it around, the smaller ones from InFocus would be good. Our Proxima has been back for repair twice, and the InFocus has been back never.

All the best, James

#4 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:51 AM

Based on my experience, it would be worth waiting a little time and get the money to buy a DLP unit.

When we bought our projectors, we tried everything and DLP was the definite winner in terms of colour rendition and image quality. LCD is meant more for Powerpoint bar chart presentations and tends to oversaturate the colours.

DLP delivers the most pleasing images.

We use NEC LT260 projectors which are equivalent to today's LT245 in terms of power. NEC has a sealed optic block (no dust can enter between the lenses). Also, the lens has threads, it allows the installation of a UV type filter to protect the lens just like on your camera lens. They are XGA and their contrast ratio is very high, something highly desirable.

Colour is infinitely adjustable so you can select the best rendition and match it to the profile of your computer screen.

I checked at this URL and the LT245 was 1,895USD (http://www.projector..._id=2630&trig=1)

I recently looked at the microportable DELL 3400MP projector which, for its size an price really impressed me when compared to larger units. It is a DLP XGA projector with a 1500 lumens rating (in practice closer to 1200).

Hope this helps,

Michel
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

I use a DELL 3300MP, which I bought during a Dell sale for $1280, with free shipping (they have deals like this quite often).

I don't do presentations that often, so I wanted to find something that was relatively inexpensive, and had good reviews.

If you must be mobile with your projector, get something small. Berkley White travels around with an Olympus VP-1, which is small, bright, and looks fine. I have no doubt that it wouldn't look as good if you did an A/B test, but the fact is that no one will be doing an A/B test when you're giving a presentation, and often, size makes it so you can have a projector there to begin with.

If you're buying exclusively for local use, then get something bigger. :lol:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:37 AM

Wow, what a great response! Thanks everyone. Question for DLP owners: Have you experienced the "rainbow effect"? That is when the spinning wheel can create a rainbow on high-contrast images.

The Dell 2300 looks like the sweet spot for me at $1000usd. The DLP's are definitely more portable.

#7 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

Wow, what a great response! Thanks everyone. Question for DLP owners: Have you experienced the "rainbow effect"? That is when the spinning wheel can create a rainbow on high-contrast images.

<snip>]

I personally have not seen this even with 1X color wheels, nor have I spoken with anyone who has.

My understanding is it's physiological (thus dependent on the person), however, 5x and 7X color wheels reduce the tendency for those who see the rainbow.

All the best, James

#8 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

Never experienced the rainbow effect personnally. Never received comments from people looking at our stuff either.

Our projector (LT260) might not produce it??? It's a single wheel projector and I don't remember the speed of the wheel.

Enjoy your choice

Michel
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com