• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rfrimel

Rfrimel

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

A hotel I stayed at over cristmas just emailed me after looking at my photos and said they would like to use some for thier website and marketing handouts. I am excited, because I have never dont this before. But after browsing this copyright issues topic, I frankly got a bit frightened. How do I make sure the photos dont end up places where I didn't authorize them to be?

And, since I am new at this, what do I ask in return? Should I require my name on the photo or in a caption? Money? Undying love?

Any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

Ryan Frimel

#2 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:59 PM

Be sure to clearly spell out what they have permission to use the pictures for and you should have no problems.

Yes, you should ask for money (or maby a free stay in the future).
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#3 Snappy

Snappy

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

I certainly think a good rule of thumb is: if your your pictures are good enough to be published, they are good enough to warrant a certain amount of money.

How much will vary with how they are being used. And this must me spelled out clearly and agreed upon by you and the client. To find out what is a resonable prce, you could visit the webiste of a picture agency in your part of the world (or that of the clients part of the world), many have price lists online that you could use as a guide.

best of luck
website
Norwegian snapper who prefers warm waters.

#4 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:36 PM

As others have said you should draw up a simple contract that states how your photos can be used (website brochures, etc.). I would ask that you be given photo credit however they use them as this will help you sell yourself to others.

As for payment ... if you not doing this for a living and would like to return to the place I would barter for rooms/diving as you will get more than if you ask for a cash payment.

Allen