Featured Video Podcast Help

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:14 AM

Well, it's really happened. This new little video podcast I've started doing of underwater films, DiveFilm Podcast Video, just made it onto the iTunes Music Store list of 84 "Featured Video Podcasts." And it's the very first...and currently the only... underwater images-related video podcast to make it onto the Featured Video Podcast list.

It's Number 84 in the list of 84 Featured Video Podcasts. But iTunes will only keep it "featured" if more people actually subscribe to the podcast—and it's totally FREE!

I think that this is a great opportunity to expose more people—especially young people—to the beauty and issues of the underwater world, so I'm asking for help in getting more "subscriptions." Please consider subscribing to the DiveFilm Podcast Videos to help keep it listed! And you don't need an iPod to watch them—you can view the little videos in the iTunes window on your PC or Mac (download iTunes for free).

You can get to the podcast several ways. One way is to click on the podcast image on the DiveFilm home page, which will automatically launch iTunes (version 4.9 or higher) on your computer and take you directly to the DiveFilm Video Podcast page. Click on the *Subscribe* button.

Or you can go to the iTunes Music Store through apple's website, click on "Podcasts" and then click on the image that says, "Video Podcasts." DiveFilm Podcast Video is on the last page at #84. Click on it, and then click on the *Subscribe* button.

The more people experience underwater videos, the more interest may be generated in the well-being of the underwater world, at least that's my hope and intent.

#2 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

Ok, it happened for all of 30 minutes! DiveFilm Podcast Video was actually listed on the iTunes Featured Video Podcasts pages until their page propagation program went glitchy and began referring back to the old listings. (The first page still refers to 84 listed, but the subsequent pages refer to only 83.) This may be the shortest "Featured" listing on record?!

Hopefully, they'll fix the glitch by tomorrow....

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6176 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hi Mary Lynn, congrats very cool that it is listed so high.

I wish i could help...but...i have such a slow internet that i cannot download videos.

Best of luck

Mike

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:36 AM

Hi Mary, the internet is small after all...
I went and had a look with itunes and found you there and I subscribed to your podcast, well done.

You have me now wanting to have a go. I have made a ipod clip and just making the XML page by hand as there seems to be no podcast maker for the PC yet. There's an opening for any programmer.

Let you know when I have it up.

Mike, you should see if you can get Sat connection, my folks have two way Sat connections on the farm, the Government paid for it as they was no other way to get broadband. Maybe you can do the same in Yap..then you can have loooonnnnngggg YAPS with us all.

Wags
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:42 AM

It took a while to navigate around itunes, but I managed to subscribe in the end :)

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:35 AM

Ye :) s itunes takes abit to find ones way around, I tried to upload my podcast xml link but it looks like you have to pay Apple to be a member!
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#7 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:11 AM

Wags - more reasons to get on the team -- all the corporate accessories and perks, gratus. Gym, health club , humour in a real office , new harley , latest benz all agoing diving. Get wet on the days that suit you. fantyastic location - Best boss with the sexiest wife.

Actually had a hole develop this afternoon that could be you or kelly,

Swing into action and make a adult deciscion !!!

#8 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:30 AM

Thank you to all! It looks like iTunes has worked some of the glitches out of the Featured pages and officially added DiveFilm Podcast Video as #84 in the list of 84 "Featured Video Podcasts." So folks, please check it out and "subscribe" (it's free!) so iTunes will keep it up there.

Wags, keep at it! You don't have to pay Apple anything (otherwise that would not be cool in my book). You do have to sign up for an Apple account by giving your email address, I think. But you don't have to do any of that .mac thing.

To submit your own podcast to iTunes, it's free, but you need to make sure your xml tags are optimized for iTunes. There's a "Specifications" paper you can download, and FAQ doc you can download. Also, feel free to use my xml file as a template, but make sure you substitute your own info where appropriate. Then submit the URL (.xml) in the "Submit a Podcast" entry field.

And anyone interested in doing their own podcast, I heartily encourage to go fo it!!

#9 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:41 AM

To help you all with your searching...

Direct Link to DiveFilms PodCast

If you have iTunes installed and click the link, it will take you directly to the DiveFilms page in the store.

You're still in there @ 84 :)
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:19 AM

hehehe.... jumped at 85... now it's just 81 and dropping... but I'm on text message delay.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:26 AM

Actually, this is probably an instance of once at 84, stays at 84 if lucky... :)

Just got an announcement that there's a new podcast producers forum on Apple.

Hopefully, others can supply links for non-Apple forums that also will help people get started with their own podcasts if they wish?

#12 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6176 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:54 PM

So anyone want to fill me in on just what the hell a podcast is?

I am assuming its somewhere (apple) where you can host your videos.

Do you get paid for it? Can we make money on it?

XML? RSS? Whatever happened to English on this forum?

From the technologically challenged.....

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:48 PM

Mike , yes you can make millions from it.. get broadband and get into it.... :rolleyes:
No only kiding...I wish

Podcasts.
You make a small QT video clip to spec that can even be played on a ipod.
You make a page of code abit like HTML, buts its save as a XML format.
You load up that page of code to you website.
IE: www.hdvunderwater.com/podcasts/podcast.xml go and have a look at mine.
You load up you small podcast icon and video clip to your sever as well.
IE: www.hdvunderwater.com/podcasts/logo.jpg

You submit the XML page to Apple.
People can then find your so called podcast listing and download you clips to watch.
Then everytime they have itunes up and running it will look for any new clips made from the podcaster that you have registered or like. Kind of like auto updates once you have picked a podcast foorm then on every time you are on itunes.

The small video clips can also then be loaded up to an ipod.

Hows that :)

(pmooney...I got that message and replyed via email.... thanks)

Mary I will go back to itunes and try again, I got to a credit card payment page before and thought you have to pay to get on...

Wags

#14 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

Do I have to have an account at an iTunes Music Store to get podcasts?
No. You can preview and subscribe to podcasts without opening a Music Store account. However, to submit a podcast to the Music Store, you will need a Music Store account.

And every time I try to set up an account it asks for my credit card number...I'm not going to give them that?

#15 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

They take the card details so that if/when you download some content that you do have to pay for then they already have your card details.

I've had an itunes account for awhile but I've never bought anything and they've never charged anything to my card. It should be fine :)

Oh yeah and a P.S. for Mary Lynn - when is the next episode out? :rolleyes:

Cheers, Simon

#16 Caper

Caper

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:diving , photography

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

downloading as we speak

#17 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

I think it's unfortunate that Apple is requiring a credit card just to submit a new podcast URL. That said, I've never had a problem with them having that info. There are other podcast directories besides iTunes. One that comes to mind is Podcasting News.

And Wags is right on: the benefit of subscribing to podcasts is that you receive new episodes when they're posted, like having a magazine subscription. And then there's the benefit of having the video podcasts in a format that can be viewed on handheld devices like iPods, Palms, Pocket PCs, etc.

Plans for future DiveFilm Video Podcasts include an upcoming episode on Squid Runs, and one on the strange little creatures of Indonesian Muck Diving.

#18 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

Yes i't anoying you have to give them your cc details.

Here is another way to display ones video podcasts using a online method and normal web browser with Fireburner.

Here is my link I set up with them
http://feeds.feedbur...erPodcastVideos

Everytime I load up a new clip and update the XML page, feedburner grabs that info and loads it to the webpage automatically. Each specially made small video clip can then be downloaded and watched or even put onto a ipod that can handel ipod video.

This is how itunes and all the podcast directory's work as well. Just update one XML page and all the directorys pull the info from that.

There are going to be alot of personal ipod type players comming our this year that can play video & music on them. Auto download your favourtie shows and watch them anywhere.

Paul

#19 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

Folks, there's a new underwater video podcast at the iTunes Music Store!

Wags and Kelly's "Adventure Underwater Videos" just went live on iTunes! Stunning images, HDV acquisition, great production values. If you have iTunes on your computer, Go Here and *subscribe* to their podcasts for free. You'll be glad you did!

A hearty Congratulations, and great work, Wags!

#20 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:40 AM

Mary Lynn is also one of the original organizers of the San Diego UnderSea Film festival. After preparing submissions for podcasts, consider entering them in this years film Festival. The deadline is Aug.15th-Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.