1 reply to this topic

#1 Alaskatraveler

Alaskatraveler

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:01 AM

Hello,

Seems like everyone is pretty well traveled but here is my trip report for our first trip to Micronesia (December 22-January 6)!!

Rota-We had alot of fun in Rota. The island is small and not very touristy which always appeals to me. The visibility lived up to it's reputation and then some (200 feet horizontal during rough weather). We dove the Shoun Maru and SenHanom Cave but really enjoyed the basic reef dives the most. Hard corals mostly but an healthy reef environment. We dove with Dive Rota and the owner and staff really went out of their way to see that we had a good time. Good breifings and attention to safety. Overall- not as flashy as the rest of the trip but awesome tune up and viz.

Palau-Palau is famous enough you don't need me to ramble on about it. Let's just say it lived up to it's reputation. We dove Peleliu and all the famous Southen Rock Island sites. Were were on the Big Blue Explorer and they did a great job for us. The crew was really fun yet professional and safety was a priority. Good breifings too. There were so many grat dives it is hard to pick a few favorites but i'd say (in no partcular order) German Channel (saw the mantas diving once and snorkling once!), Peleliu wall, Turtle wall and any night dive! Jellyfish lake was great too. The Schools of fish and sharks were all over blue corner I just enjoy lush sites more. Overall-Palau rocks and go liveaboard.

Yap-We dove Mil Channel several times and every time got a new Manta experiance. Nine on one dive was the most. Also saw them on the cleaning station and had to practically bury myself (to avoid contact) as they circled overhead. Another plus, my wife took a begining photo class with Manta Visions (the same Mike who posts here all the time) and it was excelent. Probably the best endorsement I can give is that we are saving for a camera now. Also, i'd go with one of the Yapese dive guides because their eyes are amazing. Nudibranchs from 15 feet away exc, you won't swim by much with them. Now that i've said all to good stuff I do have to give a word of caution. I subscribe to Scuba Diving magazine and every year they present a reader's poll. It is BS and gave me the wrong impression of what diving in Yap would be like. They ranked Yap ahead of Palau for wall diving! I don't think any sane person could think Yap's walls were even close to Palau's. Just one guy's opinion. Oveall-Go to Yap for a great Manta experiance and some fair reef diving but be aware that Yap's non-manta dives may be a overhyped in the press.

Adam

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

Hi Adam!!!

Say hello to said wife... :)

Hows the weather back home!?!? brrrrrr.......

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com