• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 texellis

texellis

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:28 PM

I'm new in the u/w video department, and need some help with software suggestions. I just got an L&M Mako housing for my Sony PC350 and i'm wondering what and how to capture/edit/burn all these videos i'm shooting. I really don't want to spend too much on software. I have tinkered with Movie Maker and have been able to capture and do some minor editing but it' doesn't burn to DVD. I have a version of Adobe Premiere 6 but it's got more options than the space shuttle! I haven't even been able to get it to capture video yet. The only thing i've found so far to burn DVDs with is Sonic. Is there a good, affordable suite out there that can capture, edit, and burn?

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6185 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

Try Pinnacle Studio version 9. It won't be that expensive now that version 10 is out. Word has it that v 10 has a few glitches so you would be better off with 9

Mike

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

I've used Studio 7 - 10, and used to sing pretty high praises of it because of it's low price, relatively easy to use and understand interface, and features for the dollar. It probably is the most unstable peice of junk I've ever used though, and ever version I've bought from the store has required at least 10-15mb worth of patches before it would actually work as advertised.

With that said, there was little choice. Adobe was always it's own worst enemy, with the worst user interface, and the learning curve was enormous.

Enter.... Sony Vegas. This has got to be a dream come true for me. For just a little more than Studio Plus, you'll get software that does anything and everything studio does, but works as advertised. It's faster, it never crashes, and it's fairly simple to use.

The edge still goes to Pinnacle for User friendlyness. I have to say that I made some fabulous projects in Pinnacle, even some for paying clients, and I never once bought a book, or took training of any sort on the product.

With Vegas, I actually did break down and bought a DVD on it.

I'd give it hard look for sure.

#4 larsdennert

larsdennert

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

I'm sorry that I must agree with Detonate. I've used two versions of Studio (8 and 9) and though the interface is marvelous it is probably the worst piece of written code I've seen in a long time. Completely unreliable in my mind.

Yea Vegas seems pretty good. Another really reliable and inexpensive program is Nero. It does everything you can imagine though Vision Express, the editing program, is pretty basic and the interface takes some getting used to, it is rock solid.

If an hour of video takes 6 hours to render, you have a choice. Render it once with a decent program or render it 6 times for a total of 36 hours because your software can't keep things in sync, gets confused about what files it is using or just plain crashes.

Most good programs allow a free trial to test drive them. Actually, do this, find the software you are interested in and see if they have a user forum. Lurk there and see what people post. If it's full of "How do I fix this software?" it should be a hint to you. If it's full of "How do I use this cool feature or effect?" then you are good to go.

I noticed that when I was going to buy another camcorder. All the Sony forums had very minimal complaints about the camera compared to other manufacturers. The forums were up beat and educational vs how to fix problems.