• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Marcelo Krause

Marcelo Krause

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:33 AM

Not sure if I should post it here, but there is an excellent article about Alex Mustard, the D2x and underwater photography at Robert Galbraith website.

Here is the link

http://www.robgalbra...cid=7-7890-8019

Best regards,

Marcelo Krause

#2 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:57 AM

Well deserved recognition

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:02 AM

I did this interview last year, but had absolutely no idea when it was due to go out. I also didn't get a chance to proof it - and there are a couple of bits that are probably a bit strongly expressed in there.

I found it quite intimidating being interviewed for such a professionally orientated website - where just about everyone earns more from their photos than I do!

It is hard to express an opinions about buying expensive cameras when there are guys on that site who have paid them off before lunch on the first day they have them. My D2X is well into profit now - but it took me longer than a morning!

But obviously I am very flattered that my fish pix are featured in such a prestigious place.

Got a good plug in for Wetpixel (towards the end).

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

Very nice Alex, congrats!

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#5 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

Great interview Alex. Really like the black face on the, ah man, total mental block on the species... :P

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:16 AM

Way to go Alex, this is huge!!!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 richorn

richorn

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

Very cool Alex! You even have the land mammals listening to you now! :P

Also another well written interview!
Richard

#8 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

Great article, but I am even more impressed by the images! Every single one is WOW and makes me want to bounce out of office and into the ocean! I am so happy to read that you have a book coming. Will it be available in the US? Do you take advance orders? I want it!

#9 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

Congrats Alex!

Nice profile...and I think you more than held your own there.

Regards,

Jett

Jett Britnell
Jett Britnell Photographics
http://www.jettbritnell.com
http://jettbritnell.blogspot.com
Member: Ocean Artists Society (Phorographer)

Nikon D800 in Aquatica Housing, twin Sea & Sea YS-D1's.

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:56 AM

I have just read the interview through properly. It is cool, although I find it quiet weird reading about myself. There are a couple of things I'd comment on - where my views have changed a bit since it was done. I am not going to make a big fuss about this as they will undoubtedly change again in the future!

First I have actually recently found a good optical setup for the 12-24mm (basically using a dioptre) and now I am very happy with its performance. And second I haven't shot RAW + JPG since June.

Posted Image
Regarding the book - The Art Of Diving - I was planning to start talking more openly about it in a few weeks, when it is actually printed. But this article has forced my hand a little. I'd like to state it is NOT a coffee table book. It is not hard cover, but it is a large A4 format book! It is obviously dominated by images (75% images: 25% text) but with 300 pages than means that there is a weighty amount of text too (all the photos are mine except for 3, which are by a certain E Cheng). The text is written by author Nick Hanna.

The book is a guide to why diving is cool, why we love doing it, and the variety of adventures we have beneath the waves. The text is dominated by interviews and classic quotes from divers (usually well known ones).

To cut myself short on a subject I can go on about for hours. I am very excited about it. I think as a collection of images it is cohesive and as such stands out (as different, rather than better or worse) from the look of other UW photography books that are out there.

Alex

#11 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:28 AM

Awesome Alex!! Great exposure on the site and thanks for introducing the new book to us here! However, i really think the book should have a thread of its own, not only on the main page but also in the general section. Believe me that is huge and shouldn't be buried back here....

Soooo, please tell us a little more about the book when you have time...like...who is Nick Hanna and what is the connection with yourself and him. I know you will talk about it more once it is out but now you have us hanging by a thread!

And of course.........GILES ON THE COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAACCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha ha ha

That will learn ya Giles.... :P

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#12 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:15 AM

Theres a thread on WP about "favourite photographers" - not wanting to embarass you, Alex, but you are my favourite - your stuff just astounds me

#13 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the invitation for more shameless self publicity, Mike. I will tell all about the book in a couple of weeks. I don't want people to be sick of it before it comes out! :D

I am very keen to talk about how it came about. What I learned about negotiations with publishers and the whole process of pulling a book together. I won't pretend I knew anything about this before hand. So the whole experience was very educational for me.

Yeah, had to put Giles on the cover in the end. Basically because I know he will be going out in Cayman trying to pull girls by showing them pix of him on the cover. What better reason could there be to select a cover shot? Also he needed a lift since I upgraded models on my last trip to Cayman (sorry Giles :P ).

Alex

#14 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:01 AM

Theres a thread on WP about "favourite photographers" - not wanting to embarass you, Alex, but you are my favourite - your stuff just astounds me

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hard to respond. Thank you and nice of you to say so, Paul.
I am certainly not my own favourite! Maybe that's because I get to see all the totally awful images I take along the way.

Alex

#15 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:30 AM

Basically because I know he will be going out in Cayman trying to pull girls by showing them pix of him on the cover.
Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that my friends, is what being a lad is all about!!!!!

Edit: Ummm, Alex and i are not mods on this site and don't know a thing about what we just said...

Second edit: Should i explain the word "pull" to the Americans? :D

I have the feeling Eric is going to give us crap for this one.... :P

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#16 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:07 AM

Double congrats Alex, (and one for Giles also :P )
For the interview and for the book, I sow its yesterday and wanted to ask if you hide something...
Update up please when it's will be available.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.