• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 timoma

timoma

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

...I've been told one of my wreck images from 2004 has been printed in the Finnish Sportdiving Association's 60th anniversary calendar that includes "...rare images from the Assn's archives spanning over 50 years...".

Have not had the chance to see said calendar yet, but will scan the page when I get it.

timo
It was already broken when I got here

#2 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:39 PM

Congrats :P :D

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#3 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:11 PM

Very cool, Timo! I will have to go find it! Congrats!

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

very cool

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:12 AM

I see that the calendar is available here

Too bad there isn't a way to peek inside...

#6 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:46 AM

Did they steal it from you or did you give it to them?

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#7 timoma

timoma

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

Did they steal it from you or did you give it to them?

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sold it to them!

The thing is, I did an assignment for the Assn. for some training materials - a bunch of stills for their instructor development CD to be exact. At the same time I sold a bunch of "stock" images to use mainly in training materials but also with some other rights included. This image is from that package.

So, in terms of my rights I'm cool. The reason I have not yet seen the product - well - they are just as disorganised as I am...

timo

#8 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hmm.. we seem to return to this selling/giving topic in many threads. I think there is a specific thread dedicated to the subjects, so maybe this is a little off the track, but let me just say this. First, I think it is great of course that Timo sold the pics and hats off and congrats to that. And I do think that one should not give away pictures for free left and right for ones own and other photographers sake. But sometimes, especially for a new photograper, I think it is completely justified in some cases to donate some work in order to get to show what you can do, not just photographically, but also show that you can deliver on demand, work with deadlines etc etc in order to get your foot in the door. To make a drastic example (just for illustrating my point, not that this has happened to me...I wish It had) let's say some prestigeous magazine (Nat Geo!) or some other media that might work out to become a longterm relationship said "sure, we'll give you one shot, show us what you can do...". Maybe they will either pay you nothing or some small sum. It might still be worth it. I even know of photographers who have paid their own travel to destinations and offered up their work at a really low price, but been happy with the return of being featured in that particular media. This might be a stretch, and I am not sure if I would go that far (we'll, I am poor, I couldn't, whether I wanted to or not), but the point is, you have to start somewhere. In this partiicular case, I am actually quite impressed that Timo was able to sell the pictures, because the customer is not a big for profit organization, or a magazine, but a diving association, a "club" of sorts. That makes it extra cool!

#9 timoma

timoma

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

Right!

Before anyone hops on a plane and approaches the Finnish Divers' Federation (as they seem to be called these days) in hopes of getting rich, I can confess that the money changing hands was more symbolic than anything else.

The point of this is that I for one do not donate my images to anyone to be published - for profit or otherwise. Since I have no illusions of becoming a pro photographer, I do not have to worry about my "reputation" or gain visibility in any way. However, I symphatise enough with the pro's (some of whom I have had in the family) not to totally ruin their business.

For me, this is just a hobby and if someone likes my images enough to want to publish them, they need to be willing to shell out a symbolic amount of money for it. In fact, I have "sold" a couple of images with the kind of deal that the buyer donates an agreed sum of money to WWF or other concervation organisation and I get nothing.

timo

#10 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:58 AM

Right!

The point of this is that I for one do not donate my images to anyone to be published - for profit or otherwise. Since I have no illusions of becoming a pro photographer, I do not have to worry about my "reputation" or gain visibility in any way. However, I symphatise enough with the pro's (some of whom I have had in the family) not to totally ruin their business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't imaging being so excited to see my name/image in publication to give it away. Just cuts out the pros and lowers the standard of material out there - if your work is good, they will pay. If they can get equally good work for free - I just need to get better!
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#11 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:03 AM

So as a new photographer, where to draw the line? $50 picture? $500 picture? Being paid something for som images, but not being paid for travel to the location to shoot them?