• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

Just announced early this morning in the UK is the 7.75 megapixel Oly E330 - a DSLR with a full time feed to the camera-back LCD screen. Interesting.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 apete

apete

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

"There's even a very cool (and very expensive) underwater case available."

"Optional underwater case PT-E02

From May 2006, a special underwater case PT-E02 will be available for the Olympus E-330. Waterproof to a depth of 60m, the PT-E02 makes using a professional digital SLR underwater much easier than before by allowing photos to be framed by using the live view on the cameras LCD screen, rather than needing to try looking through the viewfinder whilst wearing a diving mask, as was previously the case."

Edited by apete, 26 January 2006 - 12:33 AM.

Anders Peterson - www.some_of_my_images.net
I have a business interest in some underwater imaging products.

#3 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

Just announced early this morning in the UK is the 7.75 megapixel Oly E330 - a DSLR with a full time feed to the camera-back LCD screen.  Interesting.

Cheers
James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very cool! Looks like another one to keep Ike busy. It'll be interesting to see the picture quality.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#4 Helge Suess

Helge Suess

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:03 AM

Hi!

As I've heard today, UK-GERMANY will build a housing for the E-330.
The idea of a combined optical and display finder is absolutely great. I'm eager to see the image quality of the new sensor. If the rumors I've heard are true it should beat the predecessors by far. The lenses currently available are amazingly good (for UW and topside use as well) so the E-330 may start a new era of DSLR design.

Helge ;-)=)
Olympus E-5 in UK-GERMANY housing and a bag full of glass ...

#5 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:29 AM

Interesting news.
My only problem with this camera is that its looks like a P&S, not like a real camera. :)
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:53 AM

I think this camera will have immense appeal to photographers upgrading from consumer cameras, who think that the "live preview" is essential. Until they use a DSLR with a good viewfinder, then their opinion usually changes (I say usually, not always).

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 apete

apete

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:31 AM

I'm one of those.

Anyone see a picture of PT-E02? (Other than that very small one available at Olympus America) Wouldn't it be great if it would allow you have the screen tilted upwards.

PT-E02

Any info about the new sensor regarding noise and dynamic range?

#8 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

Yes, a very interesting looking camera for LCD addicts.
For the PT-E02 it would be nice if Olympus dropped their own flash bulkhead conector in favour of twin Nikonos conectors.

#9 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

A larger image of the PT-E02 housing is at the bottom of the linked page, however it does not show the rear of the housing. I suspect that the housing will still provide an optical view finder as in the PT-E01. All of the other PT-E housing ports and accessories interchange. The idea is to have the best of both worlds and while James makes a good point regarding the size of viewfinders in sub $1500.00 DSLRs the E-300 and E-330 viewfinders are as large as most in their price range.

Regarding Apete's comment that the PT-E02 housing will be "very extensive" I say compaired to what? The PT-E01 is selling in the U.S. for around $999.00, that seems competitive to me. The ports are higher than those from Iklite, but of a construction more in line with ports from Subal, Nexus and Seacam.

I also agree completely with Trevor that the worst link in the Olympus housing is the Olympus proprietary bulkhead connector. Mike-dive.de has a great replacement which will work in manual or in TTL with the Inon D2000W and some older Sea & Sea YS 120s.

If you are not up on the Olympus 4/3 design and dought the quality of the images you may want to open some of the images in the myfourthirds link and check them out.

http://www.myfourthi...nt.php?id=19820

Phil Rudin

#10 apete

apete

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

My first post contained two quotes - I'm not the one who thinks the housing is expensive.

Someone who is not an underwater photographer just saw, in the official price list, that the housing is more expensive than the camera.

"US Pricing

EVOLT E-330 with 14-45mm f3.5/5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens Estimated Street Price: $1099.99
EVOLT E-300 Body Only Estimated Street Price: $999.99
PT-E02 Underwater Housing Estimated Street Price: $1219.99"

#11 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

I agree with James. I don't get it what is great about LCD finders with somewhat 0.2 megapixels in bright sunlight ...

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#12 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:47 AM

Olympus does a lot in the DSLR entry class. I would like to see them catching up in the semi-pro and pro class as well. Any E-1 successor on the horizon?

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#13 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

I agree with James. I don't get it what is great about LCD finders with somewhat 0.2 megapixels in bright sunlight ...

Julian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having shot both ways, I think live view with the LCD has lots of advangages.

It's often possible to get a camera that's fully extended away from your head closer to shy critters. You have more options on camera placement in tight places. I also think that my compositon improves when I can see the subject, background, and the shot as framed at the same time.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#14 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

I see these points. But when I have the choice, I would prefer a good optical viewfinder for several reasons. I found it very difficult to shoot in bright sunlight with LCD display. Of ocurse, would be nice to have both ...

Julian

#15 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:11 AM

With this camera and the PT-E02 housing you will have the choice to use both the OVF or the live LCD in one of the two modes. Having more choices seems like a good thing to me.

Regarding the E-1, it has been out since October 0f 2003 and should be replaced before the end of the year, perhaps an announcement at PMA next month.

Phil Rudin

#16 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:35 AM

Phil,
Did you ever manage to get a dome port for your PT-E01? In the UK I've never yet seen one.

#17 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1058 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:24 AM

Yes on the dome and shade, thanks to Ryan and Richard at Reef Photo & Video. The dome is an Athena OPD-170 (optical coating inside and out) on a mount for the Olympus housing and works quite well with the 7 to 14 zoom and extension tube. Waiting for the release of the 8 mm fisheye this month to round out my lens choices.
The dome shade was designed for the OPD-170 dome and 35 mm lenses up to 14 mm in the 3:2 format. In 4:3 the image is slightly taller on the short side which was not taken into consideration before the domes were shipped. As a result all four corners of the dome shade can be seen in the image at 7 mm and about 5 cn will need to be shaved off.
If you are following the progression of this housing line I also see that the manual focus gear for the macro port has also been redesigned. My gear ( 1st generation) is quite useless. I have since used an old gear from Aquatica for a manual Nik 105 I used with my F-3 housing and it works fine after being shaved about 4 cn on the inside.
I plan to take this issue up with Olympus along with the dome shade and Micky Mouse bulkhead connector when I go to PMA next month.
I have seen the dome port and both extension rings ( macro for teleconverter and W/A zoom lenses) in stock at several U.S. mail order houses.
By the way, the dome port and extension tube work very well with the 11 to 22 mm zoom as well. This lens requires a diffrent gear than the one that comes with the extension tube for the 7 to 14. It is the gear that comes with the PPO-E02 port, gear #PPZR-E02.
I have attached a photo of the dome shade problem.

Phil Rudin

Attached Images

• web1.jpg

#18 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

With this camera and the PT-E02 housing you will have the choice to use both the OVF or the live LCD in one of the two modes. Having more choices seems like a good thing to me.

Phil Rudin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, but the E-300 has a quiet small optical viewfinder image and the housing finder shrinks it even more I guess. Don't know if Olympus has enlarged the E-330 finder. Nothing wrong here. But I would have preferred Olympus improving their optical housing finder. I mean, Olympus has "some" experience in optics, they should be able to do it :) In addition LCD preview - that would be great.

Julian

#19 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

As stated above, the primary problem with the oly housings is the bulkhead connectors. An aftermarket adapter would be a good thing. Any pictures to post of this.

But at the steadily climbing prices of these housings and expensive ports, I think the Ikelite housings are a better value. They have more port selections and standard bulkheads too. Remember the cost of the tray is not included in the oly housings.

I'm a viewfinder convert too. Interesting to see an SLR with a live preview though. I think this will certainly help win them some crossover buyers.

I wonder how this is acomplished? Does the mirror lock down during preview mode? Or is the viewfinder image split somehow? I hope its the latter. That would mean the ultimate mirror lockup system. A great thing for tripod wildlife photography that no DSLR should be without. Perhaps this is the way of the future. Live viewing and reduced vibrations? Sounds like it has some advantages for pro's as well depending on how iits implemented.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#20 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

Looks like the answer is on Dpreview:

It provides two live view modes, the first uses a small CCD sensor integrated into the viewfinder chamber, the second mode uses the main sensor but this blocks the viewfinder and disables auto-focus

Well I don't like the sound of mode 1. This spells split image which sounds like a dimmer viewfinder to me. But mode 2 holds some promise. I don't see why other DSLRs can't do this. Its obvious to me that you can't lock up the mirror and shine light on the AF sensors to AF at the same time. But you typically don't focus while the mirror is locked up anyway. So why not do it?

Picture this, you have your tripod set up for the perfect 300mm telephoto shot of an elk. You set focus, composition lock up the mirror, once he pops his head up in the live view screen you fire the trigger.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85