• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pedda

Pedda

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:57 AM

Does anyone of you have any AutoCad blueprints of strobe arms? I don’t have the program myself but my friend have a CNC machine that can read Cad files.
Peter Bergquist www.pedda.com
D200 / Ike housing / Subtronic Gamma

#2 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:22 AM

Which brand and length are you after? I could try and cook up something if nobody else has them already made.

#3 Pedda

Pedda

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:55 AM

I'm after 8" length but the brand doesn’t matter. ULCS preferable but not necessary. As long as they are not to heavy/bulky but still strong enough for my 2.3kg Subtronic flash.

My Polish TLC copies broke the other day… :)

#4 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:43 AM

Why wouldn't you just go to ULCS and get the good ones? When I was younger, I had some strobe arms made and ended up throwing them out. Since then I have always found that cheaping out = you get what you pay for. Now, it may be damn near impossible to get strobe arms where you live :) If that is the case, just make sure you use the right aluminum for your project. Someone on this list can probably tell you what material grade to use.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#5 Pedda

Pedda

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:56 AM

I've been calling around to different dive shops in Sweden and there are NON... YES... Not a single strobe arm available in this country... So it's either to buy them from USA, but then the shipping cost is more than the arm plus the customs fee plus taxes equals shit load of money for 8" of metal. Or I can buy from UK or some other EU country but it's the same except that I don’t have to pay Swedish tax for it. Ridicules amount of money for a piece of metal.

My friend can make them in different aluminium or in titanium if I would like that. So I’m not the least worried about the quality.

#6 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

I've got the arms you're looking for. I'll try to whip up something on autocad over the weekend and email the file to you.

Joe's advice is important too. I'd be looking for 6082-T4 aluminium or something equivalent, from a strength and durability point of view.

Also, the post treatment will make or break your home-made arm. A good anodising is essential.

#7 ulcs

ulcs

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:27 AM

Quite a compliment that you want to copy our products.

I think you will find that the material if you have to purchase only a small piece and the minimum for anodizing for a few pieces will get the price right up there with one purchased from the states. Dont you know anyone who is traveling there from the US? We do have a dealer in Sweden who just ordered some parts, you might want to check our dealer page.

Just my 2 cents

#8 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:37 AM

Quite a compliment that you want to copy our products.

<_< as I recall...
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively