5 replies to this topic

#1 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 04:49 AM

Hi,

What about the possibility of using a small slave strobe as the second strobe to be matched with the DS125.

I am not all that concerned about having equal power strobes for balance, I really just want to be able to add fill light to the shadowed side of an image.

Seems like it might be a lot easier to just add a 50s or the like and not use a cord. Just pop a small amount of fill into the frame?

Only thing that worries me is if the preflash on the ds125 will fire the slave early?

opinions?

Bob

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 10:54 AM

Yes, the preflash will trigger your slave strobe to fire too early (before the shutter is open). That is a problem.

If you use a "digital strobe" as your slave, you can tell it to "ignore" the preflash. That is the option I chose, purchasing a YS90DX - but any strobe that can be told to "ignore" the preflash could be used.

Alternatively, you could use another Ike digital strobe and digital sensor. That system could ALSO mimic the preflash and then fire the full flash when appropriate. The two strobes would act together with NEITHER one of them actually being a 'slave'

So either setup will work.

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 SharpDiver

SharpDiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 05:16 PM

While the set-up that jamesw suggests with two Ike's and two sensors will work, the lighting will be equally balanced. Often you want to bump in just a little light from one side to soften, but not eliminate the shadows.

With a DS-125 on the primary side (left for me, usually) and an YS-90DX on the fill side, you can fine tune the fill amount to match the TTL output of the DS-125. I will actually be testing this theory next week, and will report the results.

#4 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 05:48 PM

Thanks a bunch, I got a while before I have to decide, so I will impatiently await your report:D

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 08:25 PM

Hey Jeff. Long time no see!

I just got a YS90DX and am hoping to go the same route as you! How does that expression go? Great minds... both eventually end up in the gutter??? No...that's not it???!!!

I have a Nikon SB102 (BIG DAMN STROBE) and I intend to use my YS90dx for fill flash. If the Coolpix 5000 decides to fire a preflash...no problem. Just sync the Nikon strobe with a cord and set the YS90 to "Preflash ignore."

I had heard that Ikelite going to add a multi-step power switch to their DS125. Then it can serve the exact same purpose and there won't be any reason not to buy two of them instead of "mixing" brands.

Cheers
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#6 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2293 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 08:31 PM

JAMES, will that multipower switch for the ds125 be a plug in for existing strobes or is it a factory modification od the strobe? Thanks
Dave
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website