• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 graeme

graeme

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

I am chasing a housing for a medium format camera. Does anyone know of a reputable manufacturer of high quality custom made underwater housings that are rated to 60m or 200 ft?

I would appreciate any help in my search

thanking you

Graeme

#2 Aquatic

Aquatic

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

What camera are you trying to house?

UK-Germany makes custom housings for medium format.

http://www.uk-germany.com

go under "housings" + "special" + medium format

If your looking for a Hasselblad housing.

http://www.gateshousings.com

They also rent them.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Dan Tyrpak

Aquatic Camera,LLC
Email
Aquatic Camera.com

Aquatica, bigblue, Fantasea, Fisheye, Ikelite, INON, Light & Motion, Nauticam, OLYMPUS, Reefnet, Sea & Sea, Stix, ULCS

#3 graeme

graeme

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

Dan,
Thanks very much for you quick reply and information. I have been finding it wery hard to get information about housings for medium format cameras in Australia.

I have been leaning towards the Rollei 6008AF but the problem is they are not supported in Australia. The other option is the hasselblad or Linhof but I really like the auto focus capabilities of the rollei.

thanks again
Graeme

#4 ChristianG

ChristianG

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

I can confirm that UK-Germany would probably be your best bet, and Uwe does make very decent housings.

I'm just a little concerned that you would be going for a film camera at this late stage of film, an expensive one at that with a correspondingly even more expensive housing. If you were talking about some El Cheapo thing, or perhaps a used Nik V or similar I wouldn't worry but this is a long term, and very expensive, investment. Once the likes of Fuji decide that Velvia (etc) is no longer viable you will be left with something that perhaps needs to be housed behind glass in some museum, is of little to no commercial value (unless its name is Rolleimarin).

Who's to know when decent film will no longer be available? We all know that there are lots of film cameras already out there with little to no support, that manufacturers are leaving this type of photographic system in (relative) droves. I hope you've evaluated those risks, which should include the fact that the likes of Fuji might continue 35mm (Velvia etc) but discontinue medium format even before they discontinue the lot.

Cheers, from Oz,

Christian
There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG

#5 highsee3

highsee3

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

Who's to know when decent film will no longer be available? We all know that there are lots of film cameras already out there with little to no support, that manufacturers are leaving this type of photographic system in (relative) droves. I hope you've evaluated those risks, which should include the fact that the likes of Fuji might continue 35mm (Velvia etc) but discontinue medium format even before they discontinue the lot.

Cheers, from Oz,

Christian

film is going to be around for a very long time. Even in medium format. As a matter of fact, 4x5 sheet film is selling more this year than the last 5 years.

#6 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

Hi,
I believe Aquatica makes mid formet housing too.

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#7 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:58 PM

Contact Blake at Aquatica.
I believe that there has been some interest in adapting their medium format housing to accept a digital backend - not sure of how much or if it will be a reality.

#8 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:08 AM

I am very dubious that the optics of a medium format housing would produce results any better than a current high end dSLR such as the EOS1DSMkII. Lens/port systems now are limiting dSLR quality underwater and, given the lenses available for MF I would suggest that better optical solutions are available from smaller format dSLRs - although some optical solutions do exist for MF they are unwieldy and a compromise between usability and optical quality. I'm far from convinced that bigger (format) is better underwater.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:24 AM

Hi Graeme,

I agree with Paul. While I really hope that you do house a MF camera - as I would love to see the kit and the images - I feel that you would be much better off with a top end DSLR system.

I have both a 6x6cm hasselblad underwater system and a Nikon D2X DSLR system - and the Nikon is a far superior UW system. Also once lenses are behind ports and shooting through murky seawater, I think my D2X has superior final image quality to the Hasselblad, given its better UW optics and also ergonomics. UW shooting is rarely controllable like a studio, and as such the inherent image quality advantages of a MF system are rarely, if ever, realised.

I feel that you will spend a lot of time and money getting a one off housing for an MF system, and probably end up with an inferior UW system to a top line DSLR.

I post this not to discourage you. I really hope you do take a MF system underwater. But I think it is only fair to make you aware of some of the problems.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#10 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Hi Graeme,

Paul and Alex make very good points, which I would also fully endorse.

As for film underwater... once you've considered the benefits of white balancing alone (apart from some other u/w-specific advantages) you might move over to "the other side". Don't forget this is the wetPIXEL forum... :D

darren

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#11 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

No, Gates only makes DV housings. This is what I got back from my inquiry this morning about a housing for my Mamiya 645AFd system:

Hi Dan

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, Gates only makes housings
for HD video cameras these days.

My best sources for still housings would be:

Backscatter - sales@backscatter.com
Marine Camera Distributors - mcd2000@marinecamera.com
Underwater PhotoTech - sales@uwphoto.com

If they do not have what you are seeking, they may be able to point you
in the right direction.

Pamela Mazey Mertz
Director Of Sales
Gates Underwater Products, Inc.

What camera are you trying to house?

[snip]

If your looking for a Hasselblad housing.

http://www.gateshousings.com

They also rent them.

Hope this helps.
Dan

I love the smell of fixer in the morning!

#12 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

Hi Dan,

This is a link to the Gates-Peterson MF housing for the outstanding Hasselblad SWC/M 38 mm. This system was used by Ernest Brooks II for some of his books and other wonderful work.

E-bay has this housing for the Pentex 6X7 and you can still find housings from Aquatica for the RZ-6X7.

Mauricio Handler, handlerphoto.com uses the Aquatica housing.

MF underwater is not new, so no need to reinvent the wheel. Botton line is that MF is limited for underwater use otherwise if would have become the mainstay by now.

http://photo.box.sk/news.php3?id=6823

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Phil Rudin

#13 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hi Phil!

Alas, as I wrote above, Gates quit making still camera housings.

On the other hand, I'm watching the Pentax 6x7 auction on eBay: I'll be swinging by B&H, and I'll go upstairs to the used department to run a roll of film through, as those big MF SLR's have a nasty mirror-slap habit...

With used prime MF lenses so cheap, I could actually splurge for another format besides my 645AFd...

Hi Dan,

This is a link to the Gates-Peterson MF housing for the outstanding Hasselblad SWC/M 38 mm. This system was used by Ernest Brooks II for some of his books and other wonderful work.

E-bay has this housing for the Pentex 6X7 and you can still find housings from Aquatica for the RZ-6X7.

Mauricio Handler, handlerphoto.com uses the Aquatica housing.

MF underwater is not new, so no need to reinvent the wheel. Botton line is that MF is limited for underwater use otherwise if would have become the mainstay by now.

http://photo.box.sk/news.php3?id=6823

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Phil Rudin

#14 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

Dan,

I have a like new Pentax 6 X 7 II with the AE finder, also the 45 mm and 120 mm macro, 120 and 220 backs,
flash and grip and some other lenses. Let me know it your interested.

Phil

#15 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hi Phil!

I learned The Hard Way about mirror slap... I need to run a roll of film through a Pentax 6x7 before committing to the platform.

In any case, the only reason I would be interested is because of the Pentax housing listed on eBay... And even then, marginally, because you can't bolt a digiback onto it. :)

Dan,

I have a like new Pentax 6 X 7 II with the AE finder, also the 45 mm and 120 mm macro, 120 and 220 backs, flash and grip and some other lenses. Let me know it your interested.

Phil