Photo
- - - - -

What CC number for making underwater filter?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blues

blues

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:45 AM

Was thinking of making a filter like the ones being sold around these parts. Anyone with experience with one have an idea of what the approximate color correction would be?

Thanks.

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:58 AM

See the article by Craig Jones in our library.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 blues

blues

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:09 AM

A link would be nice.

I tried typing in Craig Jones in both search fields and got nada, so could you be a little more specific?

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:11 AM

Click on Features -> Still Photo

Then click on the article by Craig Jones about filter photography.

For folks following along, there are close to 100 articles on Wetpixel full of information.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:30 AM

The other problem is getting hold of the filters. Probably the most popular gels are in the industry standard Kodak Wratten range. Popular is not a very accurate word, though. Last time I tried to get some of these in the UK, Kodak UK said that they had stopped importing them because of lack of demand and I had to get them shipped in from abroad. It can get expensive, quickly, especially if you want to try several strengths.

IMO I have found CC gels only work in narrow depth ranges. For example the popular CC40R I think is best between 2 and 5m. Shallow than 2m it is too strong, and deeper than 5m it is too weak.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 blues

blues

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:35 AM

Craig-- got it now, thanks!

Alex--I agree with availability issues, however, I have an assortment of Kodak CC R filters ranging from 10 to 50 in increments of 10. I'm curious to try them out.

#7 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

Hi,

thinking of Craig's recommendations and the two effects of water he has written about, I would suggest adding a conversion filter to your correcting filters (especially for larger depth). KR filters available from something like 1.5 to 15 (numbered 81 and 85 in Kodak's screwed up Wratten language). I would tend towards a strength of 10 as starting point.

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |