• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jav777

jav777

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

after reading the posts on camera settings for sunbursts i thought i'd give it a go on the weekend. How can i improve such shots??
sunburst.jpg

f11 1/250 iso100

#2 jbonehoss

jbonehoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Diving: Indonesia, Thailand, Bahamas

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:11 AM

Well, this is just sitting here...I will do my best to reply in the hopes that someone who knows what they are talking about will jump in :D

To start with, I like the ripples on the surface of the water and the rays of light

So, at the risk of being completely wrong...You appear to be very close to the surface and so the sun comes through very large and bright. To maximize the rays and reduce the cyan bloom I would think that you would want to:

1) Perhaps occlude the sunball itself with something (like a giant whaleshark..something that just happens to be passing by:) - not just have it half off the image. In this case perhaps you could use the float as a subject and give it more "interaction" with the sunburst. The lack of a subject is not necessarily related to technically getting the sunburst, but there is an important interaction so it is hard to say..
2) I feel like the angle is very vertical which perhaps results in a feeling of looking straight up into the sun (direct view) as opposed to an angle which would give you more indirect view of the sun and tighten the burst. Perhaps this is why I feel like #1 is needed?
3)Still looks overexposed to me - would be nice to bring down the bloom and focus more on the rays which are quite beautiful. The image gives me the general impression of a slightly milky color rather than a sharp blue sunburst. A sharper contrast feel would be nice - the darks don't feel dark enough. You could certainly take the image into photoshop and do some curves and levels to make it more punchy but I think that will just make the sunburst even more blown out. I think you need to start with a less blown out sunburst area otherwise you are stuck with very little information when you get into photoshop.
Justin Ebert : Addicted to Compressed Air
Nikon D70s : Sea & Sea Housing : 10.5mm, 15mm, 17-35mm

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:24 PM

Biggest problem is the lack of a subject. Add a diver or a fish or a boat or a rock or anything and the shot would be better.

But if this is just practice to get a feal for camera settings we can ignore that.

The shot is overexposed by at least two stops.

Silhouette sunbursts(where the forground is not strobe lit) are very easy. Since you are not limited by the strobe power or sync speed you can reduce exposure by either smaller aperature or faster shutter speed. I would probably go with shutter speed and F/11 and 1/1000th would have probably been good. Though f/22 and 1/250 would have worked just as well. The great thing about digital is you can use the histogram and adjust exposure untill the sun does not blink when you review the shot.

The type of sunbursts that are difficult is when you want a portion of the scene to be strobe lit. When this is the case you are limited to 1/250th or so by the strobe. In this case, the only way to reduce the exposure enough stop down the aperature further. Usually to f/18 - f/22

The problem then becomes that few strobes are powerfull enough to use such small aperature. The only solution is to get the biggest strobes you can find and then get really close to the subject.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro