15 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

I went to the preview screening of Howard and Michele Hall's new IMAX movie, Deep Sea 3D, at the Loews IMAX here in New York City this evening. It was really, really amazing. Especially cool was the fact that a lot of it was filmed in locations that many of us know well (along with individual critters we've photographed!). Specific locations include parts of the Bahamas (Jim Abernethy was one of their guides for tiger sharks, reef sharks, groupers, and Bahamian reefs), Turtle Pinnacle off of Kona, night manta ray dive off of Kona, and more...

I wanted to take some pictures of the preview screening, but ... there wasn't really anything but the illuminated movie poster to photograph, and a picture of that is already online. :D

I highly recommend seeing it when it comes out on March 3rd!

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:48 AM

I was walking up Exhibition Road in London last night and the posters are up on the London Science Museum! So I guess it is on in the UK now too.

I am really keen to go and see it.

Alex

p.s. Actually Exhibition Road is rather a fun walk for the underwater photography geek at the moment as there are posters of UW pix taken by myself, the Hoodster (Charles Hood) and Seafood (Douglas Seifert) all within about 50 yards! :D

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6178 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

Eric don't forget BC!!!!!!!!

Alex: Seafood for Seifert?!?! ooo thats funny, going to write an email now!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:00 AM

Yeah, Thanks Mike.

I most definately will go seeing as how I saw them filming in the Bahamas and British Columbia. Wonder if I made the credits :D
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#5 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:41 AM

I can't wait to see this one. When Coral Reef Adventure came out, Howard and Michelle Hall showed up for a screening here in Boston.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:55 AM

Stan Waterman was going to attend the showing; I had post-show dinner plans with him and Al Vinjamur (mutual friend of ours here in New York), but (obviously) with the passing of Peter Benchley, Stan was unable to make it.

Michele said that "they" were being fairly lenient on number of people on the guest list this time around, but there were only a few dozen people in the audience. I wondered who they were; it is Warner Bros film (!), and maybe some of the other people there were associated with them? Press?
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#7 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:24 AM

Alas, four (FOUR!) IMAX theaters within 20 miles of me and NONE of them is on the list for this movie yet!

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:07 AM

I have just sorted out going to see it in London on Tuesday. Looking forward to being immersed in Deep Sea 3D!

Alex

p.s. Mike V, as I am sure you know, nicknames are very import to us Brits. Normally a sign of respect!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:23 AM

Yeah !! You tell him wholegrain, frenchie, dijon...

No Imax theatres around the Cotswolds we've only just got the telephone.

Witchcraft I tell ye, Witchcraft.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#10 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

Its not due to be released in Australia intil mid 2006 :D

#11 Photobeat

Photobeat

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Top Side photography also, Compete in Triathlons, former professional drummer

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

I subscribe to Netflix and I am always renting the imax films that were previously released. Not the same impact as in Imax but still better than a lot of discovery channel. If you don't have an Imax theater nearby you can rent them..
Aquatica Housing - D100 - 10.5dx - 17-55DX - Nikonos 105 strobes - TLC arms

#12 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:25 AM

I went diving with Howard and Michelle Hall on a cold water trip and got to hear all the scoop on his 3D work. It is a lot of heavy work and, depending on what he is trying to shoot, a waiting game. He is a hell of a nice guy and his wife is truley a sweetheart.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#13 TheQ

TheQ

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

I saw the movie last night and it's jaw-dropping spectacular. It's the closest you can get to diving without getting wet. Consider it your duty to get all of your non-diving friends to see this movie!

The question that came to mind is whether the sound is recorded live, or if some of the sound is foley. Do scallops really scream? :) Ok, they don't 'scream', but it does kinda sound like they do when running from the starfish.

#14 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

I got to "help" (mostly helping to get that gigantic camera into and out of the water) when they filmed out at the Flower Gardens last year.

Hopefully some of the coral spawn shots made it into the movie.

At the time, we didn't know who the narrator(s) would be. Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet.. pretty cool. Can't wait to see it.

Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#15 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

Just saw it this evening. The 3D was spectacular. My wife said it best. "I felt like breathing through my mouth for the entire movie". Depp and Winslet do a good job. There is a coral spawn shot. If I were to be critical I'd say they put their best stuff in up front in the first 20 minutes and then it sort of waned toward the end. There seemed to be a great deal of time spent off the California Coast. Shots I expected but weren't in there are of seals and White Sharks. I was also hoping to see a Whale Shark as well at the Flower Gardens. Anyway, still worth every penny to see. Later,
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#16 jarhed

jarhed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA/Underwater Photography<br />Travel

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

Just saw the show at the Luxor in Vegas. Amazing, This is as good as it gets without actually getting wet!

I thought the narration was very good too without getting too preachy, it still got a good conservation message across.

Loved every minute of it!!!!!
John
John B
Nikon D7000, Nauticam Housing
http://overundertravels.smugmug.com/