• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ccorogenes

ccorogenes

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

I recently purchased an Ikelite housing for a Canon 20D DSLR and a port for the Canon 17-85mm Zoom. Ikelite reccomends using a +4 Dopter for this lens port combination. I still don't understand why and if it is absolutely necessary. Can any one explain or does anyone have experience with the lens and port combo.

#2 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

Read this and do a search you'll find quite a bit about this lens etc:

http://wetpixel.com/...=11936&hl=17-85

#3 mever

mever

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Skiing, Boating

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

Simple answer is that the system will focus with far less accuracy without the +4-
dome point alters " virtual image". ie where the target appears to sensor as to where it really is.......it will work sometimes but less often........I know cause I have forgotten to put it on several times :)
Then you can't get a focus lock ie red flash in viewfinder, won't shoot exposures without focus and that is when you remember the diopter............
GREAT combo though..........examples here with diopter

http://splash.smugmu...gallery/1204003

it just works better with it get the B + H version it allows good macro topsite as well.............

=
Marty Everhard
Salt Lake City,Utah
Splash Pics
meverhard@msn.com

Canon 20D Ike Housing Dual DS 125 Strobes -50mm , 17-85 mm , 18-55mm , 10-22mm , 100mm macro, 70-300 mm All Canon
Also Sealife Reefmaster DC310 W/Dual Strobe & Attachment lenses which I started with several years ago

#4 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

Additional explanation is the +4 isn't "nice to have" with the Canon 17-85mm lens behind the special Ikelite dome port.... IT'S REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE full range focus UNDERWATER.

Underwater a dome port creates an "apparent image" the lens thinks is maybe 10" - 12" in front of the lens. Since the Canon 17-85mm lens can only focus to 1.2 feet you NEED a diopter to increase close focus capability.

Above water where any port simply acts as a window (IN AIR) forgetting to put your +4 on will not become noticeable. UNDERWATER as many state without the Ikelite recommended +4 diopter you will not be able to get a focus lock except maybe 8-10 feet away (!!!)

When you install your +4 and want to take a test shot ABOVE WATER you need to get VERY CLOSE to get a focus lock. Underwater you'll then have full range focus capbility behind a DOME port.

Hope this explanation helps!

dhaas

P.S. - I have always used B&W diopters in the last couple years. They are very good quality for the money. Available at B&H in NYC with no hassles...
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#5 ccorogenes

ccorogenes

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:15 AM

To all who replied to my inquiry many thanks. I am relieved to know I made a good purchase and now understand the +4 Diopter requirement. I will have an opportunity to try it out in Bonaire next month.