• PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

Canon made three announcements

AF 85mm F1.2L lens upgrade
Canon 30D body upgrade
AF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM brand new lens

We heard lots on wetpixel about the 30D (as expected), nothing about the 85mm (as expected), but also virtually nothing about the 17-55mm (why not?).

For me this was certainly the most surprizing announcement. We don't know yet how good it is but we do know how expensive it is, which means it better be good. Indeed, it seems unlikely that Canon would risk its reputation on a lens that can't match the equivalent nikon DX 17-55mm F2.8 that was just discussed in another thread. At 3 times the price of the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 it's a lot of money but if it's image quality is comparable to the Canon non-L primes in the same focal range then having it all in one lens would be very attractive. Any suggestions on how useful IS is on these relatively short focal lengths? Could be an interesting lens for magick filter fish portrait shots at the longer end as it can help boost light availability for both autofocus and the actual shot. E.g. F2.8 to help autofocus and IS to boost exposure without having to shoot with the lens wide open or the ISO crancked up to the limit.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#2 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:43 PM

I agree as I think this lens will be of interest for topside as well as under the water. I was not impressed with Canon's 17-85. Which one reason I have not jumped.The MSRP of the 17-55 is $1150 and should be available in May. Reggardless of the focal length IS is for stills rather action shots so it will not help directly with fish portraits. From the specs it would appear that the glass pretty much on par with their L lens. But as an EF-S lens it will not get the signature L.