11 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:30 AM

Has anybody put their stuff on www.oceanfootage.com?

Did anybody license it?

Are there any other similar outlets?

Nick

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:33 AM

HI Nick

I looked into it last year. Haven't done anything about it yet...

If i recall they want exclusive rights? I can't remember properly so would have to look again.

I like having stuff out there that can make money without too much work, it never hurts

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:04 AM

Exclusive? Ah, I'd missed that. I've emailed them to confirm and will report back. Not sure I'm so happy about that. I can't find the full terms for providers on their site.

Nick

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:41 PM

Hi Guys,
In fact there are two options when dealing with exclusivity through oceanfootage.com. If you want to appoint them as the sole online provider of your footage they offer you a ten percent discount in their "agents" fee which would be in this case 40%. If on the other hand you want to appoint other footage libraries to sell your wares then their fee is 50%. You choose.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:04 AM

Everyone of us all hope to do something with our footage other than simply win competitions and festivals. If you can sell your footage there is the sense of accomplishment, an enjoyment of a paycheck to offset the huge bills we've paid to get the footage and there is also that ego gratification. Some footage houses, new operations and even TV shows will take advantage of that and offer ridiculously low payments or unusual contracts knowing that someone desperate to get their name out there will go for it. I can only suggest that we put our egos in check and say no. I was offered a lousy $600 for some two minutes of footage on the Yukon wreck here in San Diego a couple of years back.....and who couldn't use an extra 600? I told them no..since footage for broadcast should be sold for $40. a sec I had to think about not only undercutting myself but the many friends in the field I would also be screwing over. The producer for that show was attached somehow to Rodale's but I wasn't really sure how. Anyway, found out he was later fired.
Last week I was emailed and subsequently called by someone attached to a new History channel show. They apparently had some of my old shark footage(not sure how they got it tho). Their representative agreed to my $40. per sec price for the 34 seconds that they wanted. They sent me their release which I have yet to send back. First, get paid!!!!! And then sign the release. Always retain ownership of footage for you to use or resale. I sent them an invoice yesterday for the footage bill and will see what happens next. In other words, it is exciting to have someone express an interest in your work, but if you allow yourself to be taken advantage of you are screwing over not just yourself but every one of us also trying to make a dent. And why? Bragging rights really don't go that far.
My 2 cents
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6183 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

Great post Steve!

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#7 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:29 AM

From Dan Baron at Oceanfootage:

"Yes, you could continue to license footage on your own site. We are
primarily looking for HD footage at this time, but we'll accept unique
content on DV that we don't already have in our library."

Nick

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:55 AM

Steve is correct, get a letter of intent signed.
I once watched a brand new realestate commercial appear on TV one night, yep it was my stuff and yep they just used it without asking, one phone call later, an invoice was sent and all was happy. They just grabbed the stuff from a demo tape I sent them for a previous commercial.

O we have no budget...but hang on...how much has it cost you to get here in flights and time, you fly here from where with all that gear?? They always try to cry poor and some do indeed have tiny tiny budgets so you always have suss out what they can afford along with what's it for and try to work around that figure. I have given material away for good causes and have sold stuff up to $300 per second over the years. (Always sell it Non Exclusive) unless the BBC want your exclusive Whale Shark shagging/giving birth shots....then it would be in the thousands per second mark. :unsure:

I have two Nudies shagging, wonder if they would be interested :D

We have had a few enquires about www.hdvunderwater.com but they all want it for next to nothing so they get nothing :) .

Maybe we should all start our own online libary, everyone encodes and loads up their clips to the site...Mike would have to have a special page for his mini mini dialup clips :lol:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#9 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:35 AM

I have two Nudies shagging, wonder if they would be interested :unsure:

I have a nudi threesome. Could this be my big break?

Posted Image

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:45 AM

I love Wagsy's suggestion...but you would definitely need a major coordination of such a plan. I'm sure there are many who wouldn't know a money shot from a shot of burbon and the coordinator would really need to accept or reject proferred clips. Then there would be the contract coordinator, a PR person so companies knew of this new raw footage house, probably a legal shark, and so on. I nominate Wagsy for this esteemed position.....Eric.....hire him now.
Steve <;--^--< B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#11 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

Nice pic there Nick, :unsure: now I have to go out and get 4 doing it. :D

Well it was a thought there steve, get Eric to right some code so it all loads and gets indexed etc automatically. All uploads are to a certain length, format, size, and each clip is checked by a few of us and if it's <_< then it gets trashed to keep the quality there.

No... Im to busy...
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#12 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6183 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

I have 4 nudies.... just ask Eric to see the shot.... :unsure: