Photo
- - - - -

Dive Op wants to use my pic, should I charge?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:11 AM

A dive operator that we really liked would like to use the attached shot for their website and brochures. Up to this point I have just given them away, these guys are big. I am flattered and will give it to them but should I ask for anything? If so what?

Attached Images

• raysfi.jpg

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:13 AM

Heck yeah you should ask for something! They are going to use the photo to promote their business and MAKE MONEY, so you should too. At the very least you should make your 'lowest acceptable price' be some free diving w/ them. If they are associated w/ a hotel, see if you can get accomodations AND diving.

Good luck!
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:21 AM

I fully agree with James.

The picture was not free to take and they are not family so why would you not charge. Great shot by the way!

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted © Todd C Mintz

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:30 AM

It is also important that in general we underwater photographers don't give our images away for free otherwise we devalue all underwater images.

Generally it is easiest for dive centres to pay you in diving. So ask them for what they can give you most easily. You will get much more value that way (as long as you want the free diving).

Money is of course much more useful - as having loads of free diving doesn't help you buy groceries!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:40 AM

Groceries? Who needs those when there is Top Ramen!? Buy camera gear instead...:-)

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#6 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:44 AM

Money is of course much more useful - as having loads of free diving doesn't help you buy groceries!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In 'groceries' I assume you mean groceries from B&H :P
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#7 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:50 AM

That's a great image - don't give it away. I know it's tempting to see your work published but if you give it away you not only devalue your work but also the work of every other u/w photographer. You can't blame them for trying to get images for free but they wouldn't be in business for long if they gave away their trips. At the very least I would expect accommodations and diving for a week. I'd push for meals too.

Bartering can lead to some slippery situations though. A few years ago I provided a dive operator with some images (dupe slides) to use in a slide presentation at trade shows. A little while later I discovered my photos being used in their print advertisements. When I confronted them about it they said they had paid me for the images by giving me free diving. Watch your back and get it in writing, handshake agreements can turn ugly.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

Groceries?  Who needs those when there is Top Ramen!?  Buy camera gear instead...:-)

Cheers
James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

James! Ramen!!! i didn't know you worked in the dive industry! we are two peas in a pod....

I agree with the rest of em, you definitely should get somethign out of it. ANd the most important is as Larry said.... Get it in writing!

Be very specific of the image with a description, also be very specific in the usage of that image. If it is for brochure say brochure, don't say "all media"

I would also suggest a time frame....1 year, 2 year 5 year etc

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#9 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

Don't forget Mike, I went to grad school too...:-)

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#10 Tonym

Tonym

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

Don't forget Mike, I went to grad school too...:-)

Cheers
James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh come on James, no one that went to Berkley ate Top Ramen when you had all of the great places in Bezerkly to graze in. :P :D

#11 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:45 AM

Update
In the Dive Ops original email they asked if I had any other shots they could use so here is what I offered:

CD with 10 photos they could pick and choose from for use in their promotional material for one free trip in 07. We would be willing to pay in full, now, for my wife. So far no response.

#12 Soulfish

Soulfish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

Awesome shot! I'd charge.

#13 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:05 PM

Ditto to those that say "charge". It's a stunning shot that could make a great cover, for example, or a contest entry that wins a trip. What ever you agree to, put it in writing with an end date to the use, or they'll never have to pay for photos again.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#14 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

I also meant to comment, as you've had no reply, (perhaps they're thinking it over), how many times when you state a reasonable price for using your images, (not that you'll ever recoup even the teensiest portion of what it cost to take the image), you don't hear back. Ask them to check out licensing costs, so they see you're not making up prices willy nilly. This is a good site for estimating:

http://photographers...ice-ed-calc.dbm

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#15 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:41 AM

Martin,

That image is perfect for marketing uses because it leaves open the right side blue negative for type. I think you'll hear back depending on how they intend to use the image. If it was for web use, I doubt they'll fork out a 2-3k trip. But if it's for bigger promotional use, they might work with you.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#16 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

Well Joe you have smitten the nail upon it’s crux. After a couple emails we settled on 50% off, about a $1300 value. Anyone have a boilerplate basic agreement? I did cave and will give them the picture “forever”.

#17 pitchcontrol

pitchcontrol

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

Hi guys, newby to the site here, i would just add two things:

GREAT piccie

Also insist that you are creditted with the shot everytime it is used, good advertising for yourself as well.

Graham

#18 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Hi Martin,

I would make sure that "forever" means for as long as the operation is in business and under the same ownership, "AND" that forever does not mean they can resell the image.

Great job, by the way.

Joe
Joe Belanger
www.visitingcatalina.com

#19 claycoleman

claycoleman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

I have no opinion on whether you should charge. However, if you're giving that image away, I'll take it. -Clay

#20 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

And Clay, would YOU make money on it?
Joe Belanger
www.visitingcatalina.com