Sea & Sea D200 Housing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:19 PM

Now just act really casual - "Yeah, sure it weighs 22 lbs or less." :-0 Great detailed info, thanks!

Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#22 fforbes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:diving warm and cold, photography, golf, travel of every kind

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

I'm impressed with your packing skills! I have the same Lowepro backpack carryon, and I have to admit, it never occured to me to squeeze the Subal in there too! (Of course I do carry 3 camera bodies... D100, D200, NikV ( in case all else fails!), plus a 12" travel Mac.

I looked pretty carefully at the Sea and Sea for the D200.... nahh. I'm a true believer in Subal. Plus, I already have the ports. :D

Nikon D800, Subal, Sea&Sea D1's

#23 Ambress

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:54 PM

No question the Subal is a very nice housing...with a premium price! That was what I originally had in mind for my D70 when I bought it, but that was largely governed by the idea of shooting with dual SB-800s in the Subal housings. Realizing a dedicated u/w strobe was more powerful and cost effective, I ruled out the SB-800 strobe approach and started looking at less costly housing options, finally settling upon the S&S after also thinking hard about the Aquatica. What I really did was just heed Ryan's advice regarding the build quality of the Sea & Sea housing, in spite of the minor problem I encountered with a non-functional AF Selection pushbutton. The TTL Controller was also a perk that biased me toward the DX200.

Packing my backpack as I did was to follow the approach of having a functional u/w righ in it. Had I instead opted to put the handles, arms, clamps, and TTL controller with sync cables into checked luggage, then I could have fit my D70 body and possibly the Nikonos V with 15mm lens into the pack also and still been under a 40-lb. limit, acceptable for at least some airlines. I just wouldn't have a functional u/w photo rig if my checked baggage was delayed. But I would have the peace of mind of being able to keep watch over all the fragile electronic goods rather than watch it disappear into the "hazard zone" of checked luggage.

#24 zook

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:52 AM

Hi Everyone!

To bring some life in this topic: today I visited the Sea&Sea dealer in Budapest to ask about the DX-D200 housing which I'll probably buy. Few days beforehand I phoned them with my questions and got a disturbing answer that the company is not shipping this housing... I tought it was some mistake and went after it in person. In the shop the guy showed me a letter from Sea&Sea Sunpak Japan that they don't have this housing, it cannot be ordered, order D80 housings from now on...

:) Khmm... Does anybody know anything about this? Or are we just a tiny little country again, somewhere in the Dagoba System?

I am really keen on buying a piece as it looks very convincing to me and has a price tag in reach (other contenders were hugyfot and subal, but they both are out of reach for me)

visit my flickr page
Nikon D300s in Subal ND300s, Ikelite DS-125 x2, Nikkor 18-70, 60, 105VR, Tokina 10-17, ULCS arms

#25 Turquoise

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:57 AM

Hi Zook,

I think it is true that Sea&Sea has stopped producing this housing. About a month ago, I was exchanging emails with the Sea&Sea dealer in Istanbul, asking him questions and trying to figure out whether I should buy the housing or not. A few days later, I received an email from him telling me that the housing would be discontinued and that he'd be able to place a final order for me. So, I went ahead and purchased one.

This was mentioned in another thread recently. I also read somewhere else (can't remember where) that this might be because Sea&Sea would put out a new housing for the D200 with the TTL converter built in.

The dealer here in Turkey tells me that this isn't the first time Sea&Sea is doing something like that and the housing for the D70S wasn't a long lived model either. He also thinks this might be the sign of a new Nikon DSLR model on the horizon.

#26 zook

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:24 AM

hi Turquise,

thanks for the info, in that case i'll wait a little - or go for a second hand housing, as i don't find ttl to be really really such a must... maybe a nice domeport from the difference, mmmm...

however, please post if you have new information from your dealer, i can't get any info here...

Edited by zook, 14 July 2007 - 05:25 AM.

visit my flickr page
Nikon D300s in Subal ND300s, Ikelite DS-125 x2, Nikkor 18-70, 60, 105VR, Tokina 10-17, ULCS arms

#27 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:59 PM

All housing manufacturers make a production run based on an estimated demand. No doubt Sea & Sea underestimated on this one and have run out of stock but the nightmare of any manufacturer is to have a lot of stock of a housing for a DSLR that has become obsolete.
If the D200 is not replaced with a newer model soon, no doubt they will start the production machine rolling again or bring out an 'improved' housing.
What is the most popular DSLR used by underwater photographers?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?