• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 MDB

MDB

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

I noticed that the Sea & Sea housing for the D200 is posted on their Japanese page. It looks nice (like they have gone back to their old slr style). Does anyone have any info in English?

Mike

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

I can't find the info in Japanese or the pictures, can you post the link?

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Ops, just found it, here is the link:

http://www.seaandsea...d200/index.html

The housing does look great.

Luiz

#4 MDB

MDB

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:00 PM

I think it could be a nice option for those of us who already have ports and gears

#5 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

I think it could be a nice option for those of us who already have ports and gears

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I already have an order in with Ryan... and I don't even have the camera yet :P
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#6 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

Quick and rather dirty machine translation of the Japanese page. MSRP of 240,000 Yen = ~$2,100 US

As for DX-D200 which concentrates the know-how and technology of the sea and the sea, portable characteristic good quality pursues movement photographing present cheapness, the new model model housing where original technology is condensed. It administers hard alumite processing to the resistance corrosion aluminum alloy in the body material, acquiring strong rigidity. By this structure, it guarantees the efficient space inside the housing body, has contributed to the small size light weight conversion of the body. In addition adding, as for height of degree of completion of the leather tone finish, corrosion-resistant characteristic and resistance abrasiveness you adhere to also the sufficient quality aspect which can be continued to use with hard environment it improved not only, over long time thoroughly. The advanced pickup finder of the easy to see new design, also real function such as leak sensor equipment and the new shutter lever where semi- pushing feeling is easy to know is complete to 4 corners of the camera frame. 2 connectors of N type (2pin connector +5pin connector) you can use the sea and the sea YS series Strobo with standard equipment. If 5pin connector side is used, with TTL converter (for Nikon) connection of option i-TTL automatic modulated light photographing becomes possible. And until recently the abundant NX port in the type similar NX housing series installing possibility. The up-to-date digital one-eyed camera, the quality which responds to the photographing intention which D200 has is shown in the maximum, the expression which the photographing person intends with all subjects and the photographing scene is made possible.

- N type 5pin connector standard equipment
The TTL converter of the option which makes i-TTL automatic modulated light possible (forNikon) you use, connect the sea and the sea genuine Strobo, the Strobo connector (the 5pin connector) side is used. * For you to use, synchronizer cord/code /N is necessary on Strobo side.

- With additional processing the colorful using becomes possible.
Strobo synchronizer connector exchange expense
(5pin -> 2pin) Price undecided 89033
The Strobo connector of the housing surface (5pin connector side) you remodel to the 2pin connector, the sea and sea make YS series Strobo 2 light specification (the 2pin connector ×2 basis) it is possible to exchange.
* I-TTL automatic modulated light is not possible.
* For you to use, synchronizer cord/code /N is necessary.

- You can use the lens port and the accessory of the NX housing series.
You can use the lens port and the accessory of the NX housing series
< Main merit of DX-D200 housing >

* If the TTL converter of option (for Nikon) you use, i-TTL automatic modulated light is possible.
* As for the full aluminum body which can be photographed with the holding which it stabilizes, to the extremity the compact form which is close to the outside sun/size of camera.
* As for body material both front/rear resistance corrosion aluminum alloy. With material feeling improvement strengthening rigidity.
* With new model grip adoption furthermore improvement hold characteristic.
* The pickup finder who becomes the key of digital single-lens reflex photographing approximately 0.66 times. Steadier framing is made possible.
* The new shutter lever which answers the delicate feeling of the fingertip.
* Strobo connector of N type 2 standard equipment. (2pin connector +5pin connector)
* NX lens port, accessory enabled.
* The function of Nikon D200 almost at underwater enabled.
* Equipping the quick shoe which can make the removal and re-installation of the camera simple.
* The lock type pas chin lock which does not have the times when you open carelessly.
* The leak sensor which informs about the flooding of the unlikely event.

< Accessory >

Housing body cap, grip stay, O- ring, silicon grease, camera quick shoe, hexagonal wrench and CR2032 lithium electric battery

< Specification of DX-D200 housing >

* Material: Body/resistance corrosion aluminum alloy, grip/resistance corrosion aluminum die-cast
* Pressure-resistant depth: 60 m 4 substance size: Width 330mm× height 163mm× depth 136mm
* Weight: Approximately 2,500 g (only housing)
* Connector:N type 2 basis (2pin connector +5pin connector)
* Function part:Power switch, shutter, AE/AF lock lever, focusing/zoom dial, main command dial, subcommand dial, focusing mode dial, AF area mode dial, photometry mode dial and exposure revision button, exposure mode/format button and white balance button, picture quality mode/setting reset button, ISO sensitivity button, オートブラケティングボタン, deletion/format button, playback button, menu button and sum nail button, protect/help button, execution button, multiple selector button and AF operation button
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

#7 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

I had a call from my local reseller in France this afternoon - the equipment should be available in May... for about 2700€ !
What's about Sea & Sea housings quality ? is it as good as Subal ?
Claude
www.Aquatilia.com
Nikon D300 - Sea & Sea housing

#8 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hi Claude,

I had a Sea&Sea for F100 before, it was one of their best housings, and now I have a Subal, so I can give you my opinion about that.

If you are asking because both will cost the same in Europe, I would get the Subal. Sea&Sea is a great housing, don't get me wrong, it is light, keeps the water out and has a nice port system, but it is not the same quality as the Subals. One click turning the wheels is not one click in the camera. Also, to access the main command dials I had to let go of the housing handle (but this may be related to hand size). So, my main complaint is ergonomics. This may not be important (and it is not, as I am seeing in other topics) for many people.

Having said that, I still think the Sea&Sea is a great housing. It was much better than my previous housings, but it is not better than the Subal.

Luiz

#9 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:52 PM

Very intersting point of view Luiz - Thanks !
You're right I'm asking because of the price as in Europe, the Subal is about 25% more expensive ! But seems like Subal is better quality...
Claude
www.Aquatilia.com
Nikon D300 - Sea & Sea housing

#10 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:59 AM

I spoke to Alan James who is the UK importer for Sea & Sea at the London dive show yesterday.

He expects deliveries to begin in June/July.

He had a plastic mock up of the housing and it is smaller than the D50 housing. It fits the camera like a glove. He thinks it will be the best digital housing that S&S have made since film days.

I am tempted to stay with S&S as a result if/when I upgrade.

Mark
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.
Lighting: 2 x Ikelite DS-125, 2 x Manual controller

My Pictures

#11 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:42 AM

The UK importeres are in fact Sea & Sea based in Paignton on the south coast. Alan James gets his stock from them and with this particular housing I expect he will secure most if not all of the initial housings to arrive.
It's interesting to hear it may be smaller than the D50 housing which may due to the fact that it is all aluminium as opposed to the D50's aluminuim and plastic mix.

Now if only Sea & Sea would come out with a magnified viewfinder as I hear aquatica, hugyphot, UK germany and possibly even Ikelite are talking about - then this would be a very appealing housing at a good price.

#12 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:50 AM

Sea and Sea has now updated their english language page on the Japanese corporate site with information in english:

Much easier to comprehend.

The same page is linked from the Sea and Sea USA website.

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:40 AM

Hmmm...anyone know which iTTL converter they are using?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#14 vannar

vannar

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:40 AM

Hmmm...anyone know which iTTL converter they are using?

Cheers
James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Roumors say its the Mattias Heinrich converter, but with a longer lasting battery, exposure kompensator knob and a manual bypass.

But I do not now that this is infact true?

#15 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hi Jonas,

If that is the case, then there will be a very short list of strobes that are iTTL compatible with the housing. A VERY short list...

But I guess they don't care, as long as the Sea and Sea strobes work, right? :-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#16 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

Not much different from Ikelite. Only Ikelite strobes work on iTTL with their housings, right?

Luiz

#17 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hi,
The difference on S&S TTL converter is that it is an external/optional type, not permanently installed inside housing. It should work with other housings w/ 5pin-N connector + S&S Strobe w/fast recycle(hopefully with my old YS-120).

I was ready to choose between S&S and Nexus whichever comes out to market first & I got Nexus D200 housing 10 days ago & posted sample pics. My supplier told me first batch of S&S D-200 housing will be avail.
in end of April & second batch in end of May.

Nexus also, has choice of new
view finders. I got mine with basic finder & found it is easily replaceable to multi-finder by finger without any tools.

San
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#18 robbarker

robbarker

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:56 PM

The word is that the iTTL module will only work with the new YS-110 strobes.

Personally, I shall stick to manual on my pair of YS90 Autos.
- Rob

www.underwater-photography.org

#19 Ambress

Ambress

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

Rob,

I am a Nikonos V user about to make the digital plunge with my Nikon D200. I'm accustomed to shooting the Nikonos V with the UW-Nikkor 15mm lens, lighting it with a diffused SB-102 strobe plus a small Sea & Sea YS-30TTL strobe for added modeling. I'm anxious to get away from a huge strobe like the SB-102 and the flooding risks/maintenance costs of the Nikonos V. I'm planning to use the D200 with the Nikkor 105mm/f2.8 AF, 10.5mm DX, and 12-24mm DX lenses. I've got the 18-70mm DX also, but don't forsee it being very desirable for u/w photography.

Right now, I've pretty well pared my D200 housing choices down to the Sea & Sea or Aquatica, and would appreciate any insight you have to offer if you've compared the same two housings and why you chose the Sea & Sea.

From your website, I see that you say you shoot with the Nikkor 10.5mm FE and 12-24mm zoom, using the Compact Dome Port for both and adding the extension + zoom ring with the 12-24mm. So, while your excellent gallery speaks for itself, I'll still ask the question of whether you find the Compact Dome Port truly sufficient for both lenses? The Sea & Sea system chart only shows the NX FE Dome Port as recommended for the Nikkor 10.5mm lens, but certainly the compact dome would pack/travel more easily. Have you seen any distortions in using the compact dome with either lens and have found found a need to use any diopter with the 12-24mm lens?

Finally, even if shooting manual flash proves to be the more common approach with U/W photography, I like to at least know that I can exploit the capabilities of iTTL if I choose to. The photo on your website equipment page shows the S&S housing with their TTL converter, but I'm guessing that is a marketing photo and not your actual housing. Regardless, I'm curious if - since the time of your last post -you've had an opportunity to try out the converter with your YS-90 Auto strobes and, if so, what is your opinion on it? In lieu of the external converter, I wonder how well it would work to have the DX-D200 housing modded internally with the H-W TTL circuit and perhaps using a dual strobe connector with the single N-type bulkhead connector? I'd like to get the newest Sea & Sea YS-110 strobes if they are availble by the time I order (within 1 month, maybe a bit more) but may also consider the YS-90 Auto as an alternative. With that in mind, have you found dual YS-90s to give you the lighting you need and want for the Nikkor 10.5mm lens? The Z240 strobes sound nice from all I've read, save for the price and buoyancy issues, so I'm leaning in favor of Sea & Sea.

While I've directed these questions to you, based upon similar equipment and the anticpated equipment I may purchase, I welcome insights from anyone.

Thanks,

Daryl

#20 Ambress

Ambress

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:06 PM

Well, I made the jump and am now the mostly happy owner of a Sea & Sea DX200 housing, a pair of Inon Z-240 strobes, and other gear to play underwater host to my Nikon D200, all courtesy of a good price from Ryan and Reef Photo. I say "mostly happy" only because I discovered the AF Selector pusbutton on the DX200 housing is not making contact with the camera body AF Selector switch. Fortunately that is a relatively easy fix, better served by a claw than simply a rubber pad, but I'll not pursue that repair until I return from a trip to Holbox next weekend. Until then, my own solution was to simply lay a thin rubber washer atop the switch before placing and locking the housing back into place. The washer filled the gap needed to maintain pressue on the switch and make the pushbutton operative.

I've been exploring how to get all the equipment packed into a carry-on sized Lowepro backpack, and managed it! Including a large Dell notebook PC, the back is hefty at 45 linear inches and 44 lbs., so I'll pull the notebook out to a 2nd allowable carry-on and pack my reg and othe items in with it. Details on what I packed and some of my considerations are given at http://ambress.com/D...200/carryon.htm, but the photos below sum it up pretty well.

Regards,

Daryl

Posted Image
Only the items with red checkmarks made it into the bag.
Posted Image
Posted Image