2 replies to this topic

#1 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

Wetpixel used to have a link to picture.com and I don't see it anymore, probably because they are nothing but scammers to fool you out of your money. For the hell of it, I entered a picture in their big "competition". About eight weeks later I received a notice in the mail that I was a finalist (my picture blew away the judges) and they wanted me to buy a coffee table book for $80 that would contain my picture, and for another $25 I could add some information to the pic as part of the book. Of course I did nothing. Then I got another notice saying that there was a show in Vegas and that they wanted permission to show my 3rd place image. Oh, did I mention that they wanted me to pay them only $160 for my trophy? :) And I could also pay them for coffee mugs with my picture and mouse pads and all that crap. As a test, I had my wife enter a shitty pic and guess what? They loved that one too, and offered great things as long as we were willing to pay. Now I ask you, what kind of photo competition is that? Picture.com is nothing more than a marketing scam. Do they actually give out a $10,000 prize? Perhaps. But it is likely they will charge you a fee of $11,000 to mail it to you.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

I think you have nailed it on the head Joe....scam!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

i have posted multiple times on wetpixel and digideep about this ...

i still have no idea how they got my images

www.picture.com = scam someone needsto shut them down
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks