2 replies to this topic

#1 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

Wetpixel used to have a link to picture.com and I don't see it anymore, probably because they are nothing but scammers to fool you out of your money. For the hell of it, I entered a picture in their big "competition". About eight weeks later I received a notice in the mail that I was a finalist (my picture blew away the judges) and they wanted me to buy a coffee table book for $80 that would contain my picture, and for another $25 I could add some information to the pic as part of the book. Of course I did nothing. Then I got another notice saying that there was a show in Vegas and that they wanted permission to show my 3rd place image. Oh, did I mention that they wanted me to pay them only $160 for my trophy? :) And I could also pay them for coffee mugs with my picture and mouse pads and all that crap. As a test, I had my wife enter a shitty pic and guess what? They loved that one too, and offered great things as long as we were willing to pay. Now I ask you, what kind of photo competition is that? Picture.com is nothing more than a marketing scam. Do they actually give out a $10,000 prize? Perhaps. But it is likely they will charge you a fee of $11,000 to mail it to you.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6294 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

I think you have nailed it on the head Joe....scam!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in the Lembeh Strait at NAD Lembeh with Doug Sloss in 2018
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip in Indonesia in Komodo or Raja Ampat

#3 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

i have posted multiple times on wetpixel and digideep about this ...

i still have no idea how they got my images

www.picture.com = scam someone needsto shut them down

me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks