• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

What...me shooting at the time? Normally I would have taken a shot...cept I thought it prudent to try and fend off the shark. Also, since my strobes were positioned well outside the sharks mouth I knew in an instant that I would underexpose the shark's dentures because there was quite simply not enough time to adjust aperture and shutter speed...particularly since one hand was hanging on to the line and the second hand was gripping my housing..haha Well that's my excuse. Mr. Mustard was next to me on the line and stated earlier that he missed the photo op. Only a true gentleman would pass up on a shot like that out of concern for his fellow diver. Evdryone is watching out for each other...but there was little anyone could do to assist given the current that was running.
The entire incident happened so fast.

Cheers

Jett

Jett Britnell
Jett Britnell Photographics
http://www.jettbritnell.com
http://jettbritnell.blogspot.com
Member: Ocean Artists Society (Phorographer)

Nikon D800 in Aquatica Housing, twin Sea & Sea YS-D1's.

#22 CeeDave

CeeDave

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Underwater, especially large animals<br />Landscape, especially wetlands

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:00 AM

James, the surface reflection makes that shot totally cool!
Chris White
Subal ND70 + 2X DS125 ... mostly 10.5, 16, and 60

#23 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Chris! That's what Alex said too. It reminds me of the white shark photos you see from Guadalupe - and this shark was BIGGER than those.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:08 AM

The concensus here yesterday was there were too many sharks that were too big, too close, and the current was too strong.  Pretty hair raising!!  While on the line yesterday with Alex Mustard, James Wiseman and Jim Abernethy one the several Tiger sharks nearby broke formation and chomped down on my Sealux housing.  Somehow I managed to push the shark off.  Amazingly, not a scratch on me and only a few minor scratches on the hosuing.  I figure the dome port came through unscathed because it was inside the sharks jaws.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jett
If you ever have a tiger approach you, stay alpha with it and actually lunge at it with your body shaking. Tigers are very docile but over chumming does get them more adventurous.
If you make it think you would injure it, it will back off, esp with that many other sharks around.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

Drew - that is the normal thing to do. But we were on a line in crazy current. There was no lunging possible without leaving the line, and leaving the line was not an option. :blink:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#26 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:01 PM

Hey Drew,

Eric has stated it clearly. There was simply no opportunity to challenge the shark that mouthed my housing. I had anticipated the shark that chomped on my housing was about to do something snarly. Can't explain it other than a sixth sense kicking in. There was also a much larger shark right next to me on my left side that had veered off from the hang bait and swam past me close ehnough that I could have elbowed him if that arm was not hanging on to the line. Had we let go of the line the current would have pulled us away from the boat where we would have been alone and surely surrounded by sharks in no time. It could have happened to anyone of us on the line as the sharks were seemingly growing bolder on that dive.

We're just killing time here at West End in the Bahamas. It's so crazy that there are presently 5 laptops hooked up on wireless. It's like we can send emails to each other across tha galley...

Speaking of killing time...there was a rumor that James Wiseman and Bruce Yates are reluctant to get back in the water with the sharks? They've resorted to diving in a pool instead to shoot pool ladders and practice their over under shooting techniques. It's a sad story really. I mean...just look at the attached pictures. Sad, sad...so sad, indeed.

All the best

Jett

Attached Images

• Bruce_shooting_wide_angle_on_a_frenzied_pool_ladder.jpg

Jett Britnell

#27 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:03 PM

A follow up pictures to previous post

Attached Images

• James_W._hones_his_over_under_skills_in_a_Bahamian_pool.jpg

Jett Britnell

#28 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:04 PM

Attached Images

• James_working_his_main_subject.jpg

Jett Britnell

#29 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posted Image
what is that on top of James housing ... is that a radio transmitter for strobe ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#30 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

Looks like a FIX light to me.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#31 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

Drew - that is the normal thing to do. But we were on a line in crazy current. There was no lunging possible without leaving the line, and leaving the line was not an option. :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Methinks you will enjoy the shark dives in ZA on the run... no chumming no bait...because you are the bait and the chumming are the sardines. Tell nic to get you in the water on the 25m line. Esp earlier in june... the bronze whaler migration is not to be missed. See if there are sharks then try to hit the bottom. It's hit or miss but I tell you that's some of the best shark diving in this world to have a train of bronzies swim past you on patrol for sardines.

Btw Eric... pole cams are nothing to be ashamed of. Pole dancing on the other hand... :blink:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#32 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

...there was a rumor that James Wiseman and Bruce Yates are reluctant to get back in the water with the sharks?  They've resorted to diving in a pool instead to shoot pool ladders and practice their over under shooting techniques.  It's a sad story really.  I mean...just look at the attached pictures.  Sad, sad...so sad, indeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o Just to set the record somewhat straight, James and decided to use the "down time" here at West End (we're socked in all day due to high winds) to test different Seacam extension rings with the 24 f/1.4 lens and the Superdome. (Unanimous conclusion: the 25mm extension ring works best.)

As you can readily gather from the photos (and Eric's video) previously posted, yesterday was quite the wild day! I didn't have any tigers chomp my port like Jett did, but on the previous dive, a 12 ft female tiger took a bizarre interest in me (and I was nowhere near any bait...I guess that means I WAS the bait?!). Anyway, she made four separate runs straight at me, and only veered off when I used Jimmy's recommended strategy (thank heaven for his comprehensive briefings!) of quickly thrusting my camera at her to create a sudden burst of pressure in her face. When I did that quickly several times, she veered off, but turned right around and charged me again, getting within a foot or two each time. A slight rise in my adrenalin level resulted, so I only thought to take a few shots while it was happening... :blink:

Here are a couple of photos of that encounter:

BTW, you'll never hear my complain about how big and bulky my Seacam housing is again; in that situation, you can't have too big of a housing! ;)

Attached Images

• 2006_03_14_1DsII_16mm_4644.jpg
  • 2006_03_14_1DsII_16mm_4647.jpg

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#33 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:42 PM

I am really enjoying this snap-snap-snap shot of our trip. The only downside is that we are all sitting in the saloon on Shear Water chatting via wetpixel forums rather than actually chatting face to face. I guess once we are out of internet range we will have to rediscover our interpersonal skills.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#34 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

I'll set up the wireless router and blog software. We can continue our discussion then... :blink:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#35 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

Here is James "which way do you point it for it to be underwater photography" Wiseman in the pool, getting to grips with the basics of our sport!

Alex

Attached Images

• grips.jpg

#36 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:04 PM

And here is Seacam's answer to Ikelite's Jessica Alba pin up picture:

Attached Images

• pinups.jpg

#37 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

And here is Seacam's answer to Ikelite's Jessica Alba pin up picture:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm 2 hairy men vs one jessica alba. Tough one.... actually that's just wrong.

You guys should get out and look for sharks.

Drew

#38 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

Damnit, someone post up that Alba shot so I can get that vision of those guys out of my head. :blink:
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#39 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

Oh, my burning retinas! At least they're not in bikinis! :blink:
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#40 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Sorry Todd...no pictures of Jessica Alba readily available here. Took this snap of some of the guests and crew onboard this morning while tied up at the dock.

Bahamian wind die off soon. We all need a shark fix!

:blink:

Attached Images

• Shear_Water_Shark_Expedition_March_06.jpg

Jett Britnell