#41 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6167 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

Wow! great stories everyone!!!!

Jett, of course the shark came after you.... Canadians just taste better...

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#42 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

a 12 ft female tiger took a bizarre interest in me (and I was nowhere near any bait...I guess that means I WAS the bait?!

Chum the water to bring in the Tigers, dangle divers with their hands full out on a stringer in a strong current, and you're in store for a very wild encounter.

she veered off, but turned right around and charged me again, getting within a foot or two each time. A slight rise in my adrenalin level resulted, so I only thought to take a few shots while it was happening...

I believe that strobes charging tend to drive all sharks crazy. So how many of you had to rinse the inside of your wetsuits back on board? I was on a solo decent in the Southern Bahamas and as soon as I fired up my HID's, a 3 1/2 - 4' Atlantic Sharpnose Shark came into view shuddering it's head erratically and then came at me full speed, 5 times! The HID's had not even had time to warm up, and my video camera was not adjusted yet, but I recorded the whole incident while fighting off this pesky little shark. Small, crazy sharks can move incredibly fast. Anyhow, I think strobes and HID's when they're charging up, tend to make sharks crazy. I can understand why it's so difficult to take many pictures under the circumstances, I use to shoot stills also. Cool video Eric, and great shark pictures from the rest of you.
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#43 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

And here is Seacam's answer to Ikelite's Jessica Alba pin up picture:

Obviously, the most pervasive danger on a trip like this has nothing to do with sharks...it's the likelihood that you'll find a less-than-flattering photo of yourself plastered all over the internet! :blink: :o

Seriously, though, it's a great trip and a great group of people!

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#44 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

Eric and Gang,
Your footage brings back some crazy memoriers from our trip with JASA about a month ago. At Mokoran Mnt. I took the majic hour shift with a buddy from Philipppines (Gutsy is his nick name...and well earned)..just us two pretending to be bait as everyone else had wrapped things up for the day.

Just like you, were were dangling off the back of the boat on the line in current (less maybe 1 knot). Great hammers were taking turns hitting the bait. Gutsy and I had worked our way out to the end of the line and right next to/below the bait...mabye 3 meters of water. As the sun was setting, the action really heated up. Hammers started scrapping over the bait and fighting for position. Bull sharks were rocketing up from 80 feet below and attacking the bait whenever there was a lapse in the hammer action. Then the tigers showed up. This time one good size tiger 12+ feet got serious about the bait and chomped down hard. Camera was rolling and Gutsy lets go of the rope to get a closer shot. He swims directly (serveral feet) under the tiger that is violenty thrashing and chomping on bait. It ignores him as they pull in the bait with tiger in tow. As it passes me i see it's eye roll my way and it's body follow...jaws chomping away. The pressure on the rope fortunately pulls him back on course. Then he gets pissed and decides the fun is over. We bolts sides ways with bait and rope, thrashing on the surface. Gutsy and I are willing our way deep and getting ready for hell to break loose. Then he does. He bolts to the far side of the boat and get's close-lined. He turns back and bullets our way. Within feet of our terrified faces, he gets close-lined again. We are now doing everything we can to get the hell out of his way. He is thrashing above us like a the raging beast he is. At the moment when I am telling myself ("wow, you will be the first to die on one of Jim's trips...that sucks", the tiger lets go, gives us one glance and goes deep.

Gutsy and I ascend immediately for a much needed adrenaline break, just as the sun sets over the horizon...whew.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#45 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

Chum the water to bring in the Tigers, dangle divers with their hands full out on a stringer in a strong current, and you're in store for a very wild encounter.  I believe that strobes charging tend to drive all sharks crazy. So how many of you had to rinse the inside of your wetsuits back on board? I was on a solo decent in the Southern Bahamas and as soon as I fired up my HID's, a 3 1/2 - 4' Atlantic Sharpnose Shark came into view shuddering it's head erratically and then came at me full speed, 5 times! The HID's had not even had time to warm up, and my video camera was not adjusted yet, but I recorded the whole incident while fighting off this pesky little shark. Small, crazy sharks can move incredibly fast. Anyhow, I think strobes and HID's when they're charging up, tend to make sharks crazy. I can understand why it's so difficult to take many pictures under the circumstances, I use to shoot stills also. Cool video Eric, and great shark pictures from the rest of you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup charging strobes and HID ballast are like crack cocaine ,heroin and their favorite meal all wrapped in one to the ampullae. Especially when they are in a feeding frenzy.
I know of a certain Sheik who'd put a tuna in his mouth to feed a great white or tiger. I'm sure he wouldn't mind being dangled on a life line like that.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#46 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:08 AM

More videos from the bahamas! I just uploaded them from the airport connection here in Palm Beach (flight is delayed -- might as well be productive. ;). This time, I encoded WMV9 with Vegas 6.0, which is 1000x better than export from Premiere Pro.

The clips are all here:
http://echeng.com/jo...videos-bahamas/

Here are some screen grabs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#47 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

Hey Eric
Who was the guy screaming in the video? Is he still alive? ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#48 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

Looks great!!

I must go back

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#49 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

It gets better and better every year. I can't wait to go back!
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#50 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:06 PM

The pic's look amazing...

Count me in for the next 'Tiger' extravaganza please ;)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#51 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

F'n incredible Eric! I can't even type. That multiple Tiger one is off the hook. Seeing Alex in mid-water was amazing. Makes our trip look like the kiddie version. WOW!

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#52 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6167 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:42 PM

i hate video.....

Good screen grabs though! Hope y'all had fun

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#53 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

Awesome shots Eric. I got an adrenaline rush just watching the videos, you guys must still be high. It's unbelievable with all the Tiger Sharks coming in from all directions, and nipping at the equipment, that nobody got bit. Can't wait to see more video, and some of the still photos. Well done.
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#54 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

Wow that was cool Eric :D but I recond you guys are nuts...a wld animal ia a wild animal and well it only takes one have a basic spit instinct reaction and goodbye. :)

Like that Guy researching the bullsharks in the shallows for years that got his leg bit in the end.

Nice images there though, well done, am I'm sure you guys were 100% relaxed down there ;)

How long have they been doing those trips for and Eric what did you shoot it on?.

Wags
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#55 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:05 PM

Mike -- can't you download the smaller videos? There are some that are less than 2 megabytes.

For those of you interested in the shark trips, I first met jim abernethy on a summer "sharks and dolphins" trip led by jim watt in 2002. Todd was on that trip as well, which is where I met him. I went back for a winter trip in 2003 with the dive magazine guys, and have run annual winter trips of my own since 2004. Next year, we'll be doing back-to-back july trips. The best way to get notified early for these trips is to get on my mailing list at http://echeng.com/travel (scroll to the bottom). Or, you can check he trips forum here at wetpixel or call JASA directly (http://scuba-adventures.com). They don't have many non-charter trips anymore, but it can't hurt to check!

The sharks are wild, but after hours in the water with specific individuals, you can pretty accurately get a sense of individual temperament. It's the new sharks that get everyone's attention...

And as for erich ritter, he was at walker's when we were diving it. I have a photo of him and his missing calf, which I will post soon! (I already sent it to a certain brit named jeremy, which no doubt made his day). ;)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#56 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

Btw, I shot using a sony z1u in a light and motion bluefin hd housing. Stills were taken with my friend's d2x in a subal housing, with dual ike ds125 strobes.

First video trip ever! I have some nice reef shark scenics and close-up bull shark action as well. I am stuck at the dallas airport right now, browsing wetpixel via blackberry. Yippee... ;)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#57 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

I am also on my way home - in Atlanta - waiting for my flight back home. I have to say that it was one of the most fun weeks of diving I have ever done. A great crowd on board and Jim and his crew on the Shear Water are THE BEST! They made us all feel totally welcome and fully briefed up from a safety point of view. Even though I was still a chicken on the swimstep! ;)

But I still got the shots! I also got a great video with my polecam - which I will post when edited.

The trip is amazing and is a must do for any lensman or lenswoman.

Really looking forward to sharing my photos.

Alex

p.s. a facemask is a great way of hiding ones fear! Although you can hear me screaming like a girl at the end of the swimstep video.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#58 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6167 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

Yea, Eric i got the 1.4mb one of Alex.... cool stuff

#59 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

Totally amazing. Simply breath-taking! That kind of trip definitely takes a big dome port.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#60 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

I am also on my way home - in Atlanta - waiting for my flight back home. I have to say that it was one of the most fun weeks of diving I have ever done. A great crowd on board and Jim and his crew on the Shear Water are THE BEST! They made us all feel totally welcome and fully briefed up from a safety point of view. Even though I was still a chicken on the swimstep! ;)
But I still got the shots! I also got a great video with my polecam - which I will post when edited.
The trip is amazing and is a must do for any lensman or lenswoman.
p.s. a facemask is a great way of hiding ones fear! Although you can hear me screaming like a girl at the end of the swimstep video.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So that was you screaming. Isn't it now a lensperson vs gendered? LOL

Drew