• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

It was a good week of diving, but pretty frustrating for video due to all the new things I was trying out (pony bottle, lights during the day, diopter, Epoque macro lens, Inon wide angle dome lens).

Anyway, here is my 1st draft video. I haven't decided if I want to keep the soundtrack and still have to put in the finishing touches, but it's about 90%.

Right click and "save target as" to download.

Curacao video

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6191 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:51 AM

Sorry Ron, don't have the bandwidth to download video.

Sounds like you had an interesting experience though!

Hope it all turned out good, did you perchance dive with Sunset Divers?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:39 AM

Hrey ron ,,Looks like your on target for fine home movie. Could be tightened a little which i'm sure you will do .

well done

#4 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hi Ron, are you looking for an honest critique of this video, or what was the purpose of posting it here. I'd be happy to give you some pointers if you'd like. I think pmooney

Looks like your on target for fine home movie

was a bit too kind with his remark. I don't want to discourage you, but you could use some help.
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#5 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

No, not really looking for a critique. I am a low level hobbyist and this is definitely not my best work.

I made the post because I was trying out a lot of new things like diopters, super macro lens, W/A dome lens, etc., and thought people might be curious to see the results.

That being said, I had a real tough time with my buoyancy and trim which I found later in the week was a combination of the negative buoyancy of my pony, light head, light arms, wide angle dome lens.

I just ordered some closed cell foam to try and get my rig more neutral.

This board has much more experienced members than other boards I hang out on, so maybe it's not the place for these kinds of posts.

#6 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

Ron. this is a great forum for uw videographers of all levels. I would be very happy to help you improve your skills, but I think you already know what you need. It is very difficult to try too many new things all at once, as you found out. Choose your preferred housing setup, and try to get it as neutrally buoyant as possible. I have done this by hand cutting high density polyethylene (I think) foam and securing it with a neoprene knee brace from a drug store. Your housing will probably need buoyancy near the front (lens), and the top to keep it stable. Takes a lot of trial and error till you get it right, but will be well worth doing. Happy shooting.
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:28 AM

Well done Ron.

Need to work on keeping the camera still though..
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

No, not really looking for a critique.  I am a low level hobbyist and this is definitely not my best work.

I made the post because I was trying out a lot of new things like diopters, super macro lens, W/A dome lens, etc., and thought people might be curious to see the results.

That being said, I had a real tough time with my buoyancy and trim which I found later in the week was a combination of  the negative buoyancy of my pony, light head, light arms, wide angle dome lens.

I just ordered some closed cell foam to try and get my rig more neutral.

This board has much more experienced members than other boards I hang out on, so maybe it's not the place for these kinds of posts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ron I can speak for the board when I say you are most welcome to post here. Just realize comments will come along with posts. When Eric starts the VOTM thing going, we will encourage more people to post their stuff. Until then, please post any video you would like to share.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#9 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6191 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

I agree with Dru 100% Ron.

Its great to see people posting stuff up for others to have a look. I always get interesting new ideas from looking at other peoples work, afterall that is how we all improve.

Its just too bad i can't watch any.... ;) Maybe i just do nighttime downloads after i go home...

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#10 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

I've been posting on various internet boards for years, so I don't mind any kind of response be it positive or negative. Matter of fact, over on Digital Diver, my video made one member seasick. ;)

I guess I should have made the intent of my post more clear, such as......

"Tried out a +2 diopter, Epoque macro lens and Inon 135 deg W/A lens w/ dome. +2 diopter worked well, but not as powerfull as the Epoque. Inon W/A was a little soft in the corners but also was good except it really threw off my trim because it was so negative. Here is a video showing them in action. "

This board does have a very experienced membership, so perhaps my post was not as informative to members here as it is on Digital Diver.

#11 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:17 AM

HI Ron

# 2 diopters do indeed work good with and #4's even better, like fill a nudi's gill full screen but it's only a inch from the lens so abit dangerous.

I think you forgot to post the link for you other clip there.

Here is a 80 meg QT H.264 of my latest from the other days diving.
80 meg clip.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#12 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6191 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:20 AM

80 meg he says...

Ha!

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

Poor Mike...world wide wait...sorry....don't ya just luv dialup ;)

Hey Mike, looks like Cairns is going to get hit by a big (cat 4) Cyclone....batten down the hatches over there Peter M....

Cyclone Cairns

#14 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6191 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:38 AM

Ooo Mr Mooney...

I got hit by one in Cairns back in 97... but was just that.. a 1!

Was such a wimpy storm we still went to the bar (World? End of the world? can't remember name) and i won the Miss Typhoon Backpacker award!!!

Yes, i said Miss....

And yes that was the only time i have worn a skirt... but at least i won something!

:) :D :P

Now then....

Back to Ron and Curacao... sorry for hijack...us video types are a strange bunch it seems.... ;)

#15 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:10 AM

End of the World...yep some strange things happen in that place and I could never believe what some backpackers would do for a jug of beer. I was in Cape Trib in the early 90,s now that was a wild place as well.......

So you like wearing shirts Mike? I suppose everyone wears Surongs on Yap.

Yep all the boats will be up the river as far as they can get in Cairns right now that's for sure. When it get to a Cat 4 or 5 it becomes real scary, that's when even contrete buildings can get trashed.

#16 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

Ha,ha ;) :)

I love the curve ball attitude of these forums..

Like 'Transvestite Mike' (good name for the film wags :D ) I have only dial up for the moment. So video's are limited.

But wobbly shots are a filmmakers plague. When I look back at some of my first shots its not very pleasent. But that was Blue corner Palau :) So try hard to keep it still... (insert girlfriend jokes).

Just got back from viewing some films at a festival and WOA !! hold on to the gunnels. I had to resort to standing firm at the bar :P

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#17 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:03 AM

HI Ron

# 2 diopters do indeed work good with and #4's even better, like fill a nudi's gill full screen but it's only a inch from the lens so abit dangerous.

I think you forgot to post the link for you other clip there.

Hah, you'll have to suffer through a shaky amateur vacation video ;)

#18 David White

David White

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

Nice work with the turtle clip Paul. Downloaded in 2min09secs. Don't fret Mike. It is better to live and dive in Yap and suffer dial-up than to live in Toronto with high speed internet and suffer diving in cold water after you have had to cut a hole in the hard crust.

#19 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:37 AM

I am also new to shooting video underwater... How do you keep the camera real steady? Do you sink yourself to the bottom? I found that if you are swimming the camera shakes even if you don't think it is. I am using a sea&sea vx-2100 pro housing with a sony vx-2100 camera. My video is attached at the bottom. The wmv file is around 20mb and the quicktime is around 40mb. Let me know what you think.
Mike

#20 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:22 PM

I am also new to shooting video underwater... How do you keep the camera real steady? Do you sink yourself to the bottom? I found that if you are swimming the camera shakes even if you don't think it is. I am using a sea&sea vx-2100 pro housing with a sony vx-2100 camera. My video is attached at the bottom. The wmv file is around 20mb and the quicktime is around 40mb. Let me know what you think.
Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice video. I like the opening animation with the dive sites.

How do you keep the camera steady ? Practice I guess, which I need plenty of :)

I am experimenting with some closed cell foam to get my housing as close to neutral as possible. I also plan on playing around with where I put my weight. Ideally, I want to be able to get into and stay in any position, relaxed. Right now, when I relax, I go horizontal. I am sure part of the reason for that is my negative housing/lens.