• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gordo

gordo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

I just received my new Ikelite housing and Dome Port from my new Canon Digital Rebel XT and I am having problems getting it attached to the mounting tray correctly. The mounting tray has two posts at the back, covered in rubber or plastic. These posts appear to be mounted in the wrong position. When I tighten the tripod screw it will not tighten, and hold the camera down to the mounting tray (screw appears to be on an a slight angle). When I tighten the screw as much as I can, there is still some play in the camera, and it is not snugly attached.

If I take the cover off the posts then the camera sits correctly. I just did this to test to see if the extra space allowed the camera to fit correctly, and it does. I don't think I want to use the rig without the covers that will protect the camera from scratches.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Not happy with product so far.
Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D), Ikelite housing, 8" Dome Port, Magic Filter

#2 lanierb

lanierb

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

If I had to guess I would say that you probably mistakenly left the eye cup on the camera viewfinder and it is not allowing the camera to seat properly. Try taking it off and see if it fits better. The fit on these housings is very precise so something small like that can throw it all off.

#3 gordo

gordo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

Good thought, already noticed that was in the way and removed it. The entire camera does not sit squarely on the mounting tray when the tripod screw is tightened. It worked perfectly when the rubber protectors are removed from the posts. Tells me it is either a manufacturing or engineering problem.

#4 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

I had exactly the same issue with my camera Ike housing, however I was using a 350D. I presume they're identicaly, but who knows if the size varies amongst builds.

I was told by the an Australian reseller to remove the plastic lugs off the posts, and the camera fitted perfect.

I've been using it like this for 50+ dives, and it has only slightly marked the left side of the camera body where the post rubs up against the grove in the body. The other side has not been marked.

Given the relative cheap cost of the body when compared to the price of the rest of the setup, I've not been concerned about it.

I considered the strip threading of the camera tripod mount the biggest risk, as if that goes you'd need a new body.

damien
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com

#5 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:12 PM

If you ever got as far as stripping the thread then there are ways to fix it without chucking the body.

Find a machine shop in the area or a competent amateur - you can helicoil it or fit an insert.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#6 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:06 AM

Email Ike. Ike@ikelite.com

He will fix your housing for no charge. It will take practically no time for them to make the repair, so you would have your housing back in how ever long it takes to ship the housing back and forth. Since you are in the US this is a painless procedure.

If you are leaving on a trip tommorow. The pins can easily be removed with a pair of pliers. Then when you get back send the housing back to Ikelite and they will fix it all up for you.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#7 rinjani

rinjani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:18 AM

I agree with acroporas. Send it to Ikelite with the camera body. They can fix and turn it around for you in no time.
Jon Bertsch
Website: http://www.jonbertsch.com, http://www.thalassagraphics.com
D200...Ikelite Housing...Ike DS125...Nik 105mm|Tam 90mm, Tokina 10-17mm...Nik V

#8 gordo

gordo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:28 AM

I am glad that it can be repaired quickly if I ship it back to the manufacturer, however there are a couple of issues that need to be addresses:

1) I live in Canada not the US, so turn-around time will be weeks
2) Am I expected to pay for shipping my new defective product back to the manufacturer the day after I get it?

Gord

#9 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:00 AM

We have had our camera in every housing to test fit. Cameras either vary or............? Rubber eye piece must be removed as Lanierb mentioned. I would remove the rubber post coverings, not the posts. You could put a single layer of electrical tape on the post, but I doubt if camera will be marked with careful installation. The mounting bolt needs to be tightened with a coin, not just finger tight. These installations are simple logic, so should not be a problem for you to ascertain what is necessary.

#10 keepitdry

keepitdry

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

Well you get what you pay for, Ike make a plastic box and often fill them with cameras that don't always fit. Always go for a bit of quality not cheap rubbish, right William :blink: I'm with you, thanks.

#11 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:39 PM

I'm rather happy with this cheap box as you put it, and have heard just as many (or even more) camera alignment issues about the alloy housings.
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.

#12 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:21 AM

I must thank "keepitdry" for his post. Does such a vicious and untrue statement make him feel important or knowledgeable while hiding his identity?

#13 fotofish

fotofish

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:53 AM

I use an Ike housing for my D70, if I just lay the camera on the back and try to tighen it, it won't work. I have to hold the camera snug to the back and no problem whats so ever then. I think its just a matter of getting used to using a new housing.

just my .02 worth and yeah, I'm very happy with my 'cheap plastic box' and will buy another when I upgrade

Stephen
DSDO
Aquatica AD200/300 housing
Nikon D300
Nikon D200 Ikelite D200 housing
Dual DS 125's
Not enough glass to make me happy

Stephen Nichols

#14 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

My dynax 7xi (from 1993-1996) fits perfectly on the camera tray, but the stifts/posts are on the fornt side of the camera. When mounting the tray, it needs a secure push to align things properly. If I forget the push, some combined function control does just not make it.

Gerard
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#15 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:34 AM

Gordo,

Try pressing the back of the Rebel XT back against the foam that frames the LCD. This will enable you to line up the tripod screw a bit straighter and avoid stripping the tripod screw. Rebel XT is the 350D outside U.S. and no difference in body shape / size.

After you use the housing a bit the foam will compress some and this gets easier. As Ike said, I wouldn't remove the roll pins as these keep the camera body aligned left to right for proper lens centering. Taking off the molded tips and replacing with a thin electrical tape wrap will likely give you a snug yet easier to install fit.

As far as "keepitdry"'s comments, what crap......Do a search here in the forums detailing some of the big buck metal housings for the Nikon D2X that had water seeping in from day one on people's first trips. More $$$ equals better protection? What hooey.....

Had my Ikelite "box" to 150' in the Coral Sea in January, plus hundreds of dives with this latest mold design since I first tested it in 2003 and the original Canon Digital Rebel. It now is easily the most sold underwater dSLR housing in the world. Fits more dSLR choices in the world, too ;)

PM me if you need more help as I've been shooting the same Rebel XT for over a year now...

Happy to help :)

dhaas

Attached Images

• RonOnTheSeamount.jpg

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#16 gordo

gordo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Well….it looks like everything fits just fine. User error; thanks to all for the assistance.

Based on the advice to remove the eye piece, and more importantly, pressing the camera back onto the posts and foam of LCD cover, allowed be to line up the tripod screw and tighten the camera snugly down to the mounting tray. Thanks to “fotofish, and dhaas for the tip that “tipped” the scale. Sorry about the pun.

My previous two housings have been Olympus designed for point and shoot cameras; I was familiar with simply dropping the camera into the housing and closing the cover.

I will post my next stupid question about getting the dome port on later.

Thanks again.

#17 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:53 PM

Glad to hear you got it working. Just to speed things along, you have to greese the o-ring or the port will not mount.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#18 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:57 PM

Gordo,

Ditto William's comments....Now you are a dSLR housing expert ;)

Seriously, once you mount the camera a few times it's old hat....William also has a good point in that the port o-ring HAS to be shiny (NOT GLOPPY!!) grease to slide into the lip it seals on.

Depending on which port and lens combination you're using, if it's a fixed focal length lens you can seal the port and then look inside from the back and SEE the o-ring isn't pinched or rolled. Then simply pull out the shaft controls for easy insertion of your camera mounted on the back.

Close the latches, check the o-ring is flat and there are no uneven gaps between the back and front sections. Voila'!, You're ready to go make photographs :)

Good luck, and keep asking questions. That's what we're here for!

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#19 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

David,

Is the thumbnail pic in your earlier post the result of the Sigma 15mm Fisheye on the RebelXT.

What angle of view do you think is shown in the photo?

ie. It seems to still have a lot of fisheye charaterisitics, which I thought would have been cropped out by the smaller sensor.

Thanks, damien
Damien Siviero

#20 gordo

gordo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

William, are you sitting beside me?

Yes I did try to attach the new 8"Dome port to the housing before I read the instructions. And manufactures have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

After grease, if I still have issues I will then post my question.

Thanks again!