18 replies to this topic

#1 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:06 AM

Hi All,

Today i received the first photo's of the upcoming Hugyfot housing for the D200. If everything will run properly on schedule i'll have my housing mid april. I can't wait...
Check their website for more information on their products.

Cheers, udo

P.S.: I received more pics, but unfortunately disk space is limited.

Attached Images

• Nikon_D200_top_left_lr.jpg
  • Nikon_D200_front_left_lr.jpg

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:09 AM

Excellent. Thanks, Udo.
Looks very much like their D70. They might want to take the lens cap off the lens before shooting with it!
;)

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

They might want to take the lens cap off the lens before shooting with it

I think it's the belgian way of keeping things dark and mysterious....

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

#4 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

Did you finally get the housing?
I have the option of getting a Hugy D200 with the extra AF-L button and two flash connectors for mid-may. My question is: what controls is the housing missing? are they important? is there something I should know about this brand? How is it compared to the Subal/Seacam couple? Too many questions?!
Thank you very much!!!!
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#5 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

Eric and I handled the hugyfot d200 housing today at ADEX. It looked very nice, typical hugyfot. He may do a writeup on everything he saw so i'll leave it at that :rolleyes:

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

I saw the housing a few weeks ago at the London Dive Show.
My concern is that this housing does not provide easy control over these function buttons? All of which I believe are important.

Posted Image

Image from DP Review

Alex

#7 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:35 AM

I saw the housing a few weeks ago at the London Dive Show.
My concern is that this housing does not provide easy control over these function buttons? All of which I believe are important.

Posted Image

Image from DP Review

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Cor and Alex for answering! :blink: I will wait to see if Eric says something about it.

From a picture of the housing I saw in

http://www.digideep....?id=373_0_9_0_M

Posted Image

There is a knob that will most like control only the mode dial (for single/continuous shooting etc...). (the thing is that: "This dial is locked from accidental change and can only be turned by holding the lock release pin to the top left of the dial." so I don´t know how that works :rolleyes: )...
Not being able to change QUAL is alright since I would always shoot RAW or RAW+JPG. Not being able to change WB does only matter for jpgs....But ISO is nice to be able to play with...Is it possible to change it in the menu or to program it in somewhere like the four banks of settings that can be memorized? can you do the same thing with the NOT supported metering mode dial? Something like Mode A (macro for example...)= Spotmetering, Iso 100, etc..., Mode B=Matrix, Iso 200 etc...
Thank you again!!!
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:31 AM

You need to press the WB button in order to activate the preset/custom WB measuring. RAW convertors theoretically allow you to get back to the same value. But I see a lot of people that are unable to do this!

I very rarely change ISO underwater - so I see this as less of a problem.

Alex

p.s. Also if you use your camera topside it is easy to jump in with the ISO, WB and QUAL set differently to where you would want them underwater. It is nice to be able to change them - even if only as a safety net for our own failure to do so in pre-dive checks.

#9 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:08 AM

Hi All,

I haven't received my housing yet, i'm still waiting. A few things i can mention about this housing.

Before i ordered my Hugyfot i received three pictures from them which gave all functions that would become available in their housing. You can find them attached. The three buttons (Qual/WB/ISO) should be included, according to these images. But after having had some communication with the Hugyfot guys i found out that not everything in the provides pictures is included in their standard prize

The following options are not included:
'AF/MF' (95 euro/120USD)
'AE-L/AF-L' (95 euro/120USD)
'lens release button' (95 euro/120USD)

Also the AF-ON button is marked in their image, but that was a mistake they said.... this button is NOT supported. There was nothing said about the three buttons (Qual/WB/ISO), but i'm not sure about everything anymore before i have my housing.

Furthermore, there's another 'surprise': The German website's and all other information that i could find said that one Nikonos connector is standard on all of their housings..... Not on the housing of the D200.... You'll have to buy each connector separately (100 euro each). I wonder who wants to have an SLR housing without a strobe connector.... They should preventy this kind of surprises if they want to keep their customers statisfied.

Anyway, i hope i have my housing and new INON Z-240 (operational) before May 19th, since i'll leave on a Bonmaire trip where i'll be able to test my new set. I'll let you people know how it worked out....

cheers, Udo

Attached Images

• Nikon_D200_contols_1_small.jpg
  • Nikon_D200_contols_2A_small.jpg
  • Nikon_D200_contols_3_small.jpg

www.udovandongen.com

#10 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:14 AM

You need to press the WB button in order to activate the preset/custom WB measuring. RAW convertors theoretically allow you to get back to the same value. But I see a lot of people that are unable to do this!

I very rarely change ISO underwater - so I see this as less of a problem.

Alex

p.s. Also if you use your camera topside it is easy to jump in with the ISO, WB and QUAL set differently to where you would want them underwater. It is nice to be able to change them - even if only as a safety net for our own failure to do so in pre-dive checks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Alex :blink:
I don´t usually change ISO either (except in a cave or something like that...). About you p.s.: It is nice to have to have those extra buttons (even if it adds a little more flooding risks). I don´t usually shoot topside but I guess I will write myself a predive protocol... :rolleyes:
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#11 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:23 AM

The flooding risk on this housing comes from the locking mechanism.
In my experience (of having a buddy with a Hugy D70)- the bolts have a tendency to wobble very slightly loose at depth - when the tension on them is released as the housing is compressed.

Then if the housing is brought to the surface and resubmerged (without being opened) either on a second dive or possibly in a rinse tank - it could flood.

We had two floods this way in 3 days before adopted the solution below and had no more problems.

The solution we found was to tighten the bolts between dives - even if you don't open the housing. Also check that they are tight before the housing is dipped into freshwater after diving. If you open your housing after every dive you will automatically re-tighten the bolts and will solve the issue.

All my posts here seem very negative about Hugys, which I am not. I really like their original design and think that they look great in black.

I do think it is important that we should voice concerns when housings don't provide access to controls we as underwater photographers need. We are the ones in the water using these things - so it is important to ask for what we need.

Alex

#12 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

Before i ordered my Hugyfot i received three pictures from them which gave all functions that would become available in their housing. You can find them attached. The three buttons (Qual/WB/ISO) should be included, according to these images. But after having had some communication with the Hugyfot guys i found out that not everything in the provides pictures is included in their standard prize

The following options are not included:
'AF/MF' (95 euro/120USD)
'AE-L/AF-L' (95 euro/120USD)
'lens release button' (95 euro/120USD)

Also the AF-ON button is marked in their image, but that was a mistake they said.... this button is NOT supported. There was nothing said about the three buttons (Qual/WB/ISO), but i'm not sure about everything anymore before i have my housing.

Furthermore, there's another 'surprise': The German website's and all other information that i could find said that one Nikonos connector is standard on all of their housings..... Not on the housing of the D200.... You'll have to buy each connector separately (100 euro each). I wonder who wants to have an SLR housing without a strobe connector.... They should preventy this kind of surprises if they want to keep their customers statisfied.

Anyway, i hope i have my housing and new INON Z-240 (operational) before May 19th, since i'll leave on a Bonmaire trip where i'll be able to test my new set. I'll let you people know how it worked out....

cheers, Udo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Udo!
I think that the black knob on top the QUAL-WB-ISO circle could be rotating-push access to the three buttons (I wish...). The AF-ON is not supported (that I can live with...), the AF-AE-L one would be included in the one I´d get, and I think the lens release button is not necessary since you can have access to it with the allen wrench after you take off the port (or so I´ve been told). What I think is included in the housing but not on your pictures is the AF-Area-Mode Selector (by low right corner of the back LCD)...
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#13 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:42 AM

I do think it is important that we should voice concerns when housings don't provide access to controls we as underwater photographers need. We are the ones in the water using these things - so it is important to ask for what we need.

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That´s exactly what I think.
It´s becoming hard to find reliable info about this housing...they have two different web pages :rolleyes:

www.hugyfot.com where they don´t say anything about this housing more than "will be available soon."

www.hugyfot.de in german language only where the pics are from another camera model...

sooooo no way of knowing in exactly what product are we going to spend 3000+$...
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#14 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:37 AM

the AF-AE-L one would be included in the one I´d get, and I think the lens release button is not necessary since you can have access to it with the allen wrench after you take off the port (or so I´ve been told). What I think is included in the housing but not on your pictures is the AF-Area-Mode Selector (by low right corner of the back LCD)...

When i ordered it i expected this button to be included, it turned out not to be the case. Well, topside i never use this button i prefer to lock my focus with the shutter release button, i'll see how it will work out (with and without 7 mm gloves) with their ergonomic shutter release. I can always have the AF-AE-L functionality installed afterwards.

In my experience (of having a buddy with a Hugy D70)- the bolts have a tendency to wobble very slightly loose at depth - when the tension on them is released as the housing is compressed.
Then if the housing is brought to the surface and resubmerged (without being opened) either on a second dive or possibly in a rinse tank - it could flood.

We had two floods this way in 3 days before adopted the solution below and had no more problems.

Thanx for this tip Alex!! I didn't know about it. I have a friend who's been shootng with a Hugy for more then 10 years and i never heard her speaking about this problem. She only complains about the fact that she never can find this Allen wrench when she needs it...

All my posts here seem very negative about Hugys, which I am not. I really like their original design and think that they look great in black.

The design,... that's what i fell for... If they didn't look that awesome i most likely wouldn't have gone for a Hugy. I guess i'm a bit too sensitive for what a housing looks like, beautiful women aren't always the best..... Hopefully my baby isn't going to disappoint me..

That´s exactly what I think.
It´s becoming hard to find reliable info about this housing...they have two different web pages blink.gif

www.hugyfot.com where they don´t say anything about this housing more than "will be available soon."

www.hugyfot.de in german language only where the pics are from another camera model...

sooooo no way of knowing in exactly what product are we going to spend 3000+$...

Their information supply is horrible. Some information i received via my dealer, but most i had directly from the people at hugyfot via Telephone or email. Some Hugyfot dealers in Germany provide also some information. But for me nothing is definite untill i have my housing.
If i had to make a living out of making OW housings, i'd make sure that my provided information was correct and available.

and I think the lens release button is not necessary since you can have access to it with the allen wrench after you take off the port (or so I´ve been told).

The idea behind this function is that you can change ports and objectives without opening the housing. After contact with Hugyfot they explained me that this button also can be reached if you have very thin fingers..... I can make a thin finger easily myself by bending a piece of steel and covering it with some rubber tubing. Or indeed, use the provided Allen wrench and be careful that you don't scratch your camera

What I think is included in the housing but not on your pictures is the AF-Area-Mode Selector (by low right corner of the back LCD)...

indeed, from the images of the housing i concluded the same thing.

When i have my housing i'll let you know what is really included in their standard prize and what are the optional functions.... Assuming that people are still interested

Cheers, Udo

www.udovandongen.com

#15 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:20 AM

When i have my housing i'll let you know what is really included in their standard prize and what are the optional functions.... Assuming that people are still interested

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will be!!! :rolleyes:
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#16 timoma

timoma

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hmm,

I had thought these ambiquities in specs had disappeared with the new owners. Oh, well, why abandon a good tradition...

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you referring to the "plastic" or alloy housings here? I have had my aluminium Hygy to 70 meters and did not notice any compression. Or maybe I just tighten the bolts more.

timo
It was already broken when I got here

#17 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:00 AM

I just received an e-mail from a european Hugyfot distributor answering some questions I asked over their web and a list price PDF I can forward to anyone interested for all the parts, extras, etc...:

"> Hello!
> Since I don´t speak german I would like to ask
> some questions about the D200 housing I am going to buy:
> Does it come with 2 connectors?,

You can order as many connectors as you need.
We recently split the strobe connectors from
the housing price as with some housings people
do not want strobe connectors or a special mix
of Nikonos V and S6 or Ikelite plugs.

> AF lock, Focus Mode control?

They are optional, as not everybody wants it.
The shutter control is so sensitive that some
shooter do not need the AF-Lock. Depending on
your shooting style we also offer this control.

> Does it have ISO, QUAL and WB buttons?

Yes ;-)

> I have a Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye, 60mm macro
> and I am planning on buying a medium zoom like
> the 17-55, the 17-35 or the 12-24:
> Which ports do I have to get for those lenses?

I would get our big dome (403 EUR) for the zooms
and the full frame fisheye. For the 60mm macro I
would take the standard flat port (178 EUR). To
host all the lenses you will do well with two
optional extension rings such as a 2,5 cm
extension ring (144 EUR) and a 4 cm extension
ring, depending on the zooms you choose.

> How does the adapter for other brands´ports
> work? which brands are those?
> Thank you very much!!

We currently have adapter for Sea&Sea, Sealux
and Aquatica Ports. If you send us a port of
a different brand we can machine one for them."

So now we have light over the housing! I was told mine would arrive in a couple of weeks :P
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#18 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:28 AM

Hi David,

I'm very much intersted in this parts list! Can you please forward it to
me? I'd be delighted! I'm expecting my D200 housing these days. They
planned to ship it today so this weekend i should be able to dive with
it.... I waited already more then 8 weeks.... Thanx for the list and i'll
let you know what my experience is.

regards, Udo

www.udovandongen.com

#19 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:05 AM

Hi David,

I'm very much intersted in this parts list! Can you please forward it to
me? I'd be delighted! I'm expecting my D200 housing these days. They
planned to ship it today so this weekend i should be able to dive with
it.... I waited already more then 8 weeks.... Thanx for the list and i'll
let you know what my experience is.

regards, Udo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Udo!

Send me a PM with your e-mail address so I can send you the file...I don´t know how to attach files on PM´s....
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com