• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:29 AM

I have created a short video from my experience in Grand Cayman from February 2006. This video requires a decent Internet connection, preferably a cable modem or something equivalent in speed. Here is a link to the video: http://www.bayondaid...CaymanHome.html
Mike

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

Mike
Which codec are you using?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

I am not sure on the windows media player, but the quicktime is a H.264. You can only see it if you have Quicktime 7 or just the audio shows up.
Mike

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

Had no problem downloading it. Very nice opening and switching back and forth with the credits.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

Thanks. I am still trying to make the file size smaller without it looking terrible. The WMV file is around 20mb and the quicktime is around 40mb. I would like it to be under 10. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Mike

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

No probs, just wanted to know what codec you were using since you were not shooting HD. Try using MP4 or Sorenson. A bit more lossy but you will find that the file size will shrink considerably. Another good codec with QT is On2. With your length, 15MB should be the target.
The H264 is big file codec and really only should be used if you want to showcase HD stuff since the other codecs can handle DV at smaller bit rates quite easily without a marked drop in quality.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:47 PM

makes me homesick
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#8 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

Cool. I'll try the On2 codec and post the results here.
Mike

#9 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Wow... I just used that codec and made the video size smaller, video and audio quality less, but the file size went up to 77mb! What am I doing wrong?

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

What program are you using to compress?

Drew

#11 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:31 AM

I opened the old movie in quicktime pro and exported it right out from there.

#12 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:32 AM

I have after effects and final cut if you think it would compress better from one of those programs.
Mike

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:52 PM

If you have FCP then use compressor. Much easier control of parameters.

Drew

#14 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:29 PM

Here it is using the On2 codec. It is now 13 mb. I have a real fast connection, so it is hard to tell if it is streaming.
http://www.bayondaid...ndCaymanOn2.mov
Mike