• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bayondai

bayondai

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:08 PM

What type of BC is everyone using when you shoot your videos? I am using an older mares bc which I hate for several reasons and I use force fins. Is there a BC that helps out in anyway or just anything will do?
Mike

#2 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hi,
A wing style arrangement offers you a completely different attitude in the water as opposed to a jacket style BC. I'm sure there is no one BC that would be better suited to video operation. It all comes down to individual dive ability and control.

Tech style wing arrangements tend to have more D-rings etc which is good for clipping additional equipment to. It would also depend on what kind of application you're working on and how much equipment you need to carry around. If you're thinking about regular diving activities I personally prefer a standard jacket style BC. It allows me to attain any attitude in the water at any time. Wings tend to be a bit of a strain to achieve upright positioning due to all the lift being behind the diver.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#3 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:23 PM

I dive with a Halcyon SS Backplate and a 1st generation Pioneer bladder (http://www.halcyon.n...c/pioneer.shtml)

I find the weight distribution to be perfect (near the middle of my body) and end up with no ectra weight. Most times there isn't even much air in the bladder so a roll is never a problem.
---------------
Mark

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

I should add that the weight factor of increased equipment will require more lift on a wing arrangement therefore reducing manoeuverability. Sorry for misleading.

Mark.

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:38 AM

Seaquest Pro QD+. It's super-tough and has a lifetime guarantee on non-serviceable parts. I much prefer it to wings.

Nick

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

I use regular Scuba Pro BCD, Glide Plus

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#7 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

I use an Oceanic Probe BC. It is a good BC...but frankly I am just tired of muscling through the water with traditional BCs. With a full FX1 set up (housing, lights, battery packs, monitor) adn all the other junk...i am really starting to feel the resistance and associated inefficiency.

This week in Singapore I tried on a Halcyon Pioneer Backplate/wings set up. Wow! What a difference...felt like i was wearing a fraction of the gear. Plus, metal Drings in all the right spots. When I get the cash, I am considering going tech diver style. Before I take the plung, i would be really interested to know if there are serious video guys out there using backplate/wings setups and how the like/dislike them. My main goal is to cut down on drag and bulk yet still be able to shoot nicely.
-shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#8 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:50 PM

SeaQuest Pro Unlimited -

It's also got one of those pully out retractable thingummyjigs to clip WB slates on, really thoughtful. Tough as nails and a nice fit, big pockets, rugged and comfortable. Nice tough D rings, 6 in all, as well as a nice central anchoring point which was the selling point for me. Plenty of currents ripping over Blue Corner here in Palau, nice to be held firmly by a strong BC.

Mark.

#9 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

One thing i forgot to mention... and i wish my BC had it.. the next one will.

The biggest thing i hate for video or photo is the inflator hose. I find nothing more annoying than bringing the camera/video up to shoot and getting the freakin inflator hose draped across my left arm.. grrrr..

I have used a zip tie to tie mine down but still gets in the way at times. What i really want is the inflation style that the HUB uses, a hosethat comes down through the left side and into an inflator button on the left side, no silly coruugated hose draped across the shoulder... There is a pull vent for dumpin on the left. Scubapro had a similar model but i think discontinued....

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#10 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:40 AM

I have used a Seaquest D3 for the last 12 years.

In that time the inflator hose has go a little shorter each service - it's finished just perfect at about 6" in length.( no more dangly bits )

The things I liked about it was it's relatively low volume and uncluttered ( no pockets ) frontal area. It fitted just like harness / backpack combination with the advantage of a bit of lift if you needed it.

Sadly my girth has increased more than the potential of the cummerband........ and it has now been replaced with a Scubapro Knighthawk.

It is one of the most comfortable BC's I have used , although slighty larger pockets and a shorter inflator hose would be positive improvements - certainly while I like this new BC I can't see it becoming a permanent addition.

#11 Reef Hook

Reef Hook

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:54 AM

As per the last 2 posts Both my wife and I recently purchased Mares Morphos semi wings with the Airtrim system to get rid of the hose.We both got used to them after 6 or so dives and find the absence of any chest clutter an absolute boon.

#12 bullshark reef

bullshark reef

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

I've been diving with a DiveRite Transpac for a few years, and frankly I don't like it much, only keeping with it 'cause it cost me much money. I like the wings, to me it spells total comfort and freedom of movement under water, but the harness itself hold together by velcro and I had much trouble with it.

I'm going to go with an SS backplate+harness next, thinking about this one http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/ and keeping the transpac bladder which is fine. One thing is sure, I'm never going back to a vest type of BC.

#13 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

Anyone tried the Mares H.U.B. or the new Seaquest with built in inflator...ie no hose?
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#14 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:04 PM

Mr. Baiyondai, (i presume?)

Simple - You're all missing out on the Ferrari of Bcs!!!!!!

Halcyon Pioneer 27......... Ideal for tropical wetsuit, one-tank, diving........ Different models for different types of diving......

Uses one long piece of webbing looped through your alum / steel backplate (for the average diver using upto four weights in the wetsuit / rashy environment of the tropics, the aluminium one is more than enough) which has no quick releases or buckels to tighten or losen any straps.

The first few dives, you will need to adjust the strap (only one piece of webbing, don't forget) after each dive until you find the right fit.

Once set up though, it is a dream.

Upon the boat, you slip into it, stand up and it's all done! It is a part of you with no movement at all...... Reach between your legs, pull up the crotch strap, pass it through the waist strap and buckle up......

Underwater, it trims up superbl. With a couple of light pumps of the inflator button, the bladder folds around the tank ensuring minimal drag and you hardly know it is there! On your front is, wait for this.......... you and your chest!

Your inflator hose sits just beneath your collar bone instead of dangling out in the blue catching on things. Your SPG clips onto the waist D-ring, always in the same place for when you want to check it. Personaly I clip it onto the left breast D-ring, just so that it is closer to my eyes. (I am just lazy -though - and don't want to tilt my head further down than is necessary.....)

For UW imaging it is superb. Minimal drag available in today's market. No parts under the arms or in front of the body to get in the way. Small enough to allow you into tight situations. The list goes on!

One complaint / fault - the inflator button is prone to corrosion and so may kill someone someday!!!!!!!! Seriously - if we are looking at worst case scenarios............. (But you'd have to be a PROPER muppet to get into that type of mess.) HOWEVER, remove button assembly, take apart (removing any rubber o-rings), give it the vinegar treatment (50-50 with water?) and hit it with a toothbrush....... (brush the corrosion away as opposed to physically smacking the thing.)

Oh, and another, if the bouy-line has been washed away, and you are standing around waiting for the captain to find the submerged pinnacle, then sit down. Standing around with it on your back, it will start to hurt after a while as it cuts into your shoulders causing the blood vessels on your forearms and the back of your hands to bulge out in a way that would make the most hard core of Heroin addicst green with envy........

Bottom line - By a wing, even if it is not a Halcyon, you will love the benefits of it.

I always hear one "problem" that divers have about wings....... BUT the people mentioning this problem don't even own one so I don't know why they offer their input......... "It pushes you face down on the surface. As opposed to lifting the chest up and out of the water as traditional BCDs do......."

Bol**cks........

1. You need to be very inept to allow that to happen. Like VERY inept....... Just kick onto your back and it will keep you there. Maybe in a major swell and chop on the North Sea, it could be a SLIGHT effort to stay in position but this hardly means don't buy one.

2. As it inflates behind you, it actually lifts you up and out of the water FURTHER than a traditional BCD which is inflating around your middle and front areas. The on-surface lift support of a wing is second to none.

I hope that this answers your queries, sir, and starts to bring the rest of the world trad BC users into line with the future of bouyancy control....

Chris

#15 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

hahaha....

Nice entry Chris...

Welcome to WP, you and Camdiver will get along well...

Mine as well throw DeanB in that group too....

Eric: can we have a seperate subforum for unruly Pommies?! :D :lol:

#16 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:25 AM

Oooooh..........

"unruly"...... that strikes at a nerve...... le'me adim....... LE'ME ADIM!!!!

Hang on, but I agreed with your point in the post on the 950 not working with the filter down (or up, I can't remember)...... that means we should be on the same side!

To be honest, I got away from Britain to get away from the unruly members of society back over there who's mission in life seems to be to drink, vomit and fight.......

But very impressed that you got my nationality to a tee - presumably due to my excessive use of heavy sarcasm as opposed to my superior use of the language....:D

ARGH! I've done it! I've stuck a bleeding emoticon into one of my messages........... I always refused to go near the little fekers, but hell..........

Nice to meet you ,sir, and look forward to a proper face to face sometime, maybe followed by beer, vomiting and going out fighting on the streets afterwards?

Cheers.....

Chris

#17 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:04 AM

I've been diving with a DiveRite Transpac for a few years, and frankly I don't like it much, only keeping with it 'cause it cost me much money. I like the wings, to me it spells total comfort and freedom of movement under water, but the harness itself hold together by velcro and I had much trouble with it.

I'm going to go with an SS backplate+harness next, thinking about this one http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/ and keeping the transpac bladder which is fine. One thing is sure, I'm never going back to a vest type of BC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry you don't like your Transpac. Velcro does not hold the harness together. Vecro is used to keep some of the padding in place. Off the rack I liked it much better than my Seaquest Balance. Spending a little time getting it adjusted just right and now I can't imagine anything better.

The 1st few dives I hit my head on the tank valve. Problem was I had the shoulder straps too tight, which positioned everything too high. Have you moved the waist/shoulder connector plates all the way towards your back ? When putting it on, I tighten the waist 1st, then the shoulders. I found all these little adjustments made everything much tighter and more stable. Add the crotch strap and it's rock solid.

I removed the waist and back pads since I don't need it and it adds buoyancy. You can always put them back if you want.

I dive warm water single tank. No weight in a 1mm suit, 6 pounds in a 5mm suit. If I am using my lights, I drop to 3lbs in the 5mm. The Transpac is perfect for me.

#18 globaldiver

globaldiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, UW-videography, Photography

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

I always strive to make my housing neutral under water, and I do personally not agree with statements that a wing style BCD would not be a good option for underwater videographers. If you have a "balanced rig" and a neutral video-housing, the amount of air in a wing is very small. I would even say that a back plate/wing configuration offers much less resistance in the water and actually increases the maneuverability of the diver. I have owned a number of different wing based BCDs over the years but have since the last three years settled with backplate and wing configurations.

I personally think the wing concept is superior to a jacket BC since it also makes it easier to stay horizontal under water. This will create a smaller profile of the diver which, among other things, often means less work under water (lowers gas consumption and CO2 buildup). A horizontal position combined with propulsion techniques like frogkicks, will also prevent silting up the bottom. Silting could be devastating both from a safety and videography stand-point, especially when filming inside wrecks or caves.

I use Halcyons products for BCDs, but almost any backplate/wing will off-course work fine as long as it meets the requirements of your diving needs. It is not the brand, but instead function that defines a good "rig." I just like Halcyons products because they are well thought thru, and works for my type of diving. Short inflator hose (not in the way), only three D-rings on the harness (not including the "butt" D-ring and front scooter D-ring on the crotch strap).

A proper back plate and wing configuration normally creates a very "streamlined" profile which minimizes drag and entanglement risks. I mostly dive doubles, so I use either the 40 lbs or 60 lbs Evolve Wing, all depending on the tanks used. For single tank wing I have used a 36 lbs Pioneer wing, but will now switch to a 30 lbs Eclipse since it is stronger and has a smaller profile. Remember that there also are other good wings on the market worthy of a look.

You just change wings when going from a single to double tank configuration. Everything else is the same and is ready to go, no matter what tanks you need to use for a particular dive. Very smooth in my opinion. :D

Anders
Sony HVR-Z1U, Light & Motion Bluefin HD, L&M Bluefin HD wide angle lens/wide angle flip macro lens, Halcyon Apollo Dual 50W HID/13.5A, ULCS light arms,
Canon EOS 350D

#19 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

Anders has it spot on -

Underwater, the Halcyon wing folds up and around the tank leaving minimal drag.

Halcyon state - if you double a surface area, you quadruple the drag which, in turn, makes you use 16X more energy pushing yourself through the water!

Chris

#20 bullshark reef

bullshark reef

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

Sorry you don't like your Transpac.  Velcro does not hold the harness together.  Vecro is used to keep some of the padding in place.  Off the rack I liked it much better than my Seaquest Balance.  Spending a little time getting it adjusted just right and now I can't imagine anything better.

The 1st few dives I hit my head on the tank valve.  Problem was I had the shoulder straps too tight, which positioned everything too high.  Have you moved the waist/shoulder connector plates all the way towards your back ?  When putting it on, I tighten the waist 1st, then the shoulders.  I found all these little adjustments made everything much tighter and more stable.  Add the crotch strap and it's rock solid.

I removed the waist and back pads since I don't need it and it adds buoyancy.  You can always put them back if you want.

I dive warm water single tank.  No weight in a 1mm suit, 6 pounds in a 5mm suit.  If I am using my lights, I drop to 3lbs in the 5mm.  The Transpac is perfect for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I meant all the padding is held by velcro, which I ended up sewing because it was getting undone all the time, especially on the shoulder. The other problem I have with it is more related to the dive condition; I dive mostly cold water with a dry suit, which means I need lots of weight, and all that weight in the front pocket is just too much. First because the pockets are getting ripped all the time, I'm on my third pairs (they're kind of cheap), then all that weight in front does nothing good for my balance, so I bolted 2 pouch filled with lead shot on the back, about 6 pounds, it helps but it's still not enough.

The other thing is I just don't feel it's solid enough for diving double which I want to go into, it doesn't inspire me confidence. I often dive with a single steel 120, but it's kind of heavy (and all the weight is along my spine) and long and I think double would make the weight distribution better and the added redundancy is always nice.

I think an SS backplate would suits my diving condition and style better (better weight distribution, more place to bolt equipement on etc), that's why I'm a bit disapointed with my purchase.