• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 02:54 AM

I would like to share a magic moment with you all from the dark & distant days before I used to instruct in the UK.

The location was Stoney Cove. For those outside the UK, this is the UK's biggest & busiest inland site, multi-layered at 7m, 20m with a big dark hole at 35m (known as the Pit). The site is excellent for training and for those more advanced divers who use the Pit to acclimatize depth & cold for the 'up & and coming dive trip'.

The Pit has a reputation for being dark, cold & only frequented by those hairy arsed 'hard' divers - You know the ones....all dressed in black with bits of rust splattered all over the suit!

One cold & dark Sunday morning and being first in the water my buddy & I descended to the Pit. After spending a good 10 mins circling the welding tank at full pelt (located at the bottom of the Pit at 35m), ensuring the viz was knackered for everyone that followed, we pondered on our next time consuming action.

By this time divers were descending in their numbers. I looked over my shoulder towards my buddy, who had disappeared. I caught him heading towards one of the descending divers and it suddenly clicked as to what he was up to. His reg was out & firmly in his jaw was a snorkel. He was gesturing the 'slashed throat' out-of-air to this complete stranger!!!

His attempt at replicating a snorkeler on a 35m free dive must have worked. The divers eyes bulged like a Bulldogs Gonads & before he had time to clamber for his spare 2nd stage my buddy had disappeared.......Boy, I would have loved to have heard that divers tale back on the car park!!!!!

A few years later I became a PADI Instructor and all responsible!!

One of those magic moments you never forget.

Mark H
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo